Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,112 members, 7,811,129 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:17 AM

Origin Of Humans - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Origin Of Humans (2327 Views)

Origin. A Novel By Dan Brown / The Origin Of 'mammy Market / A Dog's Purpose: A Novel For Humans (by W. Bruce Cameron) - Ebook [pdf, Kindle.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Origin Of Humans by Krystalzkris(f): 6:19pm On May 11, 2016
EPISODE 1

After several days,our bus stopped us in front of a temporary apartment. We alighted and many of us started stretching. I was wondering if we were at the very end of the earth because to me it seemed we had been travelling for centuries. I looked around and observed that we were surrounded by bushes. The only link to the nearest community was the road we took while coming. I began to feel scared, I observed my coursemates and I could see i wasn't alone.
I began to think about what sort of wild animals could inhabit the forest surrounding us. I was jolted out of my thoughts by the voice of our supervisor,she was addressing us.
"You are all welcome to this year's bacteria hunt",she laughed as she saw the surprise written on our faces,"I choose to call it that because that's what we came here to do. You are all expected to comb these bushes in search of some species of bacteria that are yet to be identified. Make sure whatever bacteria you bring should not be on this chart",she said as she handed each of us a chart containing the names and diagrams of numerous species of bacteria. "This will form part of your assessment for the semester"
I couldn't believe my ears,"wait o",I said to the person beside me,"This woman actually wants us to spend one week in this jungle looking for bacteria for just 30 marks,chai,why are these lecturers stingy with marks sef". I was terribly annoyed. What had I gotten myself into? I would have chosen the other elective course but because I loved practicals-I had no nerve for cramming notebooks and textbooks,I opted for this.
I looked around again,I couldnt contain my fear,then I put up my hand,she turned towards me,
"yes Krystalz,what is it?"
"Are we going in there alone?" My coursemates started murmuring,it was obvious they were thinking the same way I was. Just then a van arrived,it was carrying about thirty people. "They arrived just in time,these are your guides. They will go with you into the forest and as you can see,they are indigenes of this place,so, you have nothing to worry about",she said. She then asked us to line up and began grouping us. Most of them were in threes,some in fives. I was patiently waiting for my partner checking my phone at intervals to see if my google map had detected our location. When she had finished grouping,it dawned on me that I was on my own. No partner at all. I felt suicidal. "what of my partner?",I protested, I was expecting her to apologise for forgetting to give me a partner,instead she laughed. To me that was a wicked laugh.
"I noticed that you are very good in practicals and the rest of your coursemates do nothing whenever they are grouped with you. I just wanted you to have space to concentrate".
At that moment,i felt like strangling her.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Origin Of Humans by Krystalzkris(f): 10:17pm On May 11, 2016
EPISODE 2

I didn't know how to react. Most of my coursemates had already started feeling pity for me. There were sounds of "chai", "eyaa", coming from all angles. I just felt hot tears running down my eyes. I now realized she hated me. Some of my coursemates appealed on my behalf while others who felt I deserved it for always wanting to be the group leader in every pratical jeered at me.
I saw my greatest rival in class Sonia chuckling. It was obvious she was enjoying herself watching me in agony. We had always quarrelled severally over whose opinion mattered most when carrying out any experiment. At that moment I felt strong,I was never going to let her laugh last. I accepted my fate and wiped my tears. Even though I was scared,I was never going to let her see me weak.
Our supervisor then handed us a bag containing some equipment.
"There are more than enough petri dishes, agar plates and all other things that will be needed. You are to stay one week,but if you are able to find something before the duration expires,then return to this spot. Your guide will help you construct tents where you will live in during the course of your research. Please be careful and make sure you bring back something or you risk failing this course. I have given you all different locations, stick to it and dont add an inch to it. Goodluck to you all. Remember this is Bacteriology. Your success as a microbiologist depends on you",she concluded and handed us another box. When I opened it,I noticed that it was a microscope,it was different from the ones we used during experiment. "So,this department has the money to buy this kind of sophisticated microscope and they've been hiding it abi",one of my coursemate remarked, "It's called jungle microscope",another added and they all laughed.
I was not interested in their silly jokes. I was busy checking my google map,the silly thing had still not detected our location. After about 5minutes,i gave up. She assigned our guides to us and bid us goodbye. I felt she should have also added R.I.P.
We all left for our various locations deep inside the bush.
Re: Origin Of Humans by Krystalzkris(f): 11:24pm On May 11, 2016
EPISODE 3

After walking for about 30minutes,I signaled to my guide to stop. I felt stupid. I had been walking with a total stranger and I had not bothered to know her name. I didnt even understand why we were given females as guides. Well,I shrugged my shoulders,they might be female versions of 'George of the jungle'. I asked her for her name,she smiled,"Langsi". Which type of foreign name be this? I wondered.
"are you tired?",she asked and I nodded.
"ok". She sat down and i followed suit. I tried to engage her in a conversation after some clipped replies,she opened up. She told me several stories and myths concerning the forest and told me how life in their poor village was like. After we had rested, we started our journey again. As we went deeper and deeper,I began to wonder how our supervisor was able to locate this place and I concluded immediately that she might have been born in the jungle. As we moved further, the temperature of the environment started rising,I was sweating profusely. I began to think of what kind of bacteria I could expect from such a place. I figured out that several species of Pseudomonas might be lurking around,but then,our supervisor had made it clear that she didnt want an already known organism which means that I might have the luck of finding other extremophiles.
What a dumb test!
We arrived at the spot where we were to camp and my guide started the tent making process. All I had to do was show her my packets of food and wait as she prepared them. After eating,I slept off,I would start the search the next day.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Origin Of Humans by Nobody: 12:06am On May 12, 2016
Intresting..............
Re: Origin Of Humans by Krystalzkris(f): 8:39am On May 12, 2016
EPISODE 4

When I woke up the next morning,I was greeted with a spectacular view of the forest. I had to agree that the forest was amazing no matter how scary it looked. I looked at the time and it was already past 8am,I had to start preparing for my research. I had a quick bath. My guide had already woken up and prepared earlier. I picked my phone and called my bestie,I knew he would be itching to receive my call from the land of the dead as he had put it.
"hey,big head",I said as he picked the call,"you sef,you can not even call me to know if I arrived safely,eh?"
"see me see wahala o,how do you expect me that is in the land of the living to start calling you in the land of the dead. Did you see my grandparents? "
I wasn't surprised though,I expected his answer,
"Well" I said "and they requested me to bring you when next I visit,Idiot". He laughed.
"how are you doing over there dear? Have you seen any snakes yet?"
"Not yet,if I see any I will just run away o". I hated snakes with passion. "well,i just called to tell you that am not yet dead in the land of the dead,am preparing to start my first tour. I hope I find something today."
"eeyaa,dont worry dearie,you will. Just take care of your self"
I hanged up and started packing the few things i needed inside a small bag. Then I packed my fanny bag with some chewables and a pepper spray. Even though i knew it was useless if i got attacked by any wild animal but then my guide had earlier assured me that there was none.
After packing,I alerted my guide and we left the tent after tightly securing it.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Humans by johnydon22(m): 3:35pm On May 12, 2016
Nice work krystalkriz..
Re: Origin Of Humans by hahn(m): 3:42pm On May 12, 2016
johnydon22:
Nice work krystalkriz..

Guy, dress make I sit down abeg. You carry orjin come?
Re: Origin Of Humans by hahn(m): 3:56pm On May 12, 2016
Krystalzkris:
EPISODE 4

When I woke up the next morning,I was greeted with a spectacular view of the forest. I had to agree that the forest was amazing no matter how scary it looked. I looked at the time and it was already past 8am,I had to start preparing for my research. I had a quick bath. My guide had already woken up and prepared earlier. I picked my phone and called my bestie,I knew he would be itching to receive my call from the land of the dead as he had put it.
"hey,big head",I said as he picked the call,"you sef,you can not even call me to know if I arrived safely,eh?"
"see me see wahala o,how do you expect me that is in the land of the living to start calling you in the land of the dead. Did you see my grandparents? "
I wasn't surprised though,I expected his answer,
"Well" I said "and they requested me to bring you when next I visit,Idiot". He laughed.
"how are you doing over there dear? Have you seen any snakes yet?"
"Not yet,if I see any I will just run away o". I hated snakes with passion. "well,i just called to tell you that am not yet dead in the land of the dead,am preparing to start my first tour. I hope I find something today."
"eeyaa,dont worry dearie,you will. Just take care of your self"
I hanged up and started packing the few things i needed inside a small bag. Then I packed my fanny bag with some chewables and a pepper spray. Even though i knew it was useless if i got attacked by any wild animal but then my guide had earlier assured me that there was none.
After packing,I alerted my guide and we left the tent after tightly securing it.

Nice. But why are you accommodating so much fear for the unknown? If anything happens to you there, let me know and I will send someone to come and rescue you wink
Re: Origin Of Humans by Krystalzkris(f): 4:00pm On May 12, 2016
hahn:

Nice. But why are you accommodating so much fear for the unknown? If anything happens to you there, let me know and I will send someone to come and rescue you wink
thanks oo,but only if I knew where i was na.
Re: Origin Of Humans by Krystalzkris(f): 4:07pm On May 12, 2016
johnydon22:
Nice work krystalkriz..
thanks
Re: Origin Of Humans by hahn(m): 4:07pm On May 12, 2016
Krystalzkris:
thanks oo,but only if I knew where i was na.

Do not worry about that. As soon as you notice the animal is about to jump on you, mention me here on nairaland with details of the animal like full name, sex, sexual status(virgin/non virgin), uncle's name, area in the bush where it resides etc and my guys will be there in a jiffy grin

Where you dey sef?
Re: Origin Of Humans by Krystalzkris(f): 4:39pm On May 12, 2016
hahn:

Do not worry about that. As soon as you notice the animal is about to jump on you, mention me here on nairaland with details of the animal like full name, sex, sexual status(virgin/non virgin), uncle's name, area in the bush where it resides etc and my guys will be there in a jiffy grin

Where you dey sef?
fear go first kill me before i notice the animal ooo.

wait lemme ask my supervisor.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Humans by Krystalzkris(f): 5:20pm On May 12, 2016
EPISODE 5

We had walked for a very long time before we got a small water puddle. At last,mother nature has decided to bless me.
Langsi offered to help me collect the water and I gave her one of my test tubes. I didnt notice the test tube had a crack at the bottom.
After collecting the water sample,we sat down at the trunk of one of the trees and started gisting. We weren't in a hurry to leave as we had nothing else to do back at the tent.
She then offered to teach me how to climb trees and I accepted. I was a fast learner and before long I had become quite good. We played on the trees jumping from branch to branch like squirrels.
Gradually,it started getting dark and we were already ehausted.
We set for our tent. I was too weak to even think of anything else but food and rest.
When we reached the tent,Langsi prepared our meal,it was their native food and she had brought ingredients with her.
It was a delicious meal and I made her promise to give me the recipe later.
I was too exhausted to do any work that moment so I decided to sleep a little and wake up in the middle of the night to work on my sample. I set my alarm and lay on the bed.
As was my nightly routine,i thought of my daily activities and made a mental list of the things I would do later that night. Then I slept off.
Re: Origin Of Humans by Krystalzkris(f): 5:43pm On May 12, 2016
EPISODE 6

At about 1am,Langsi woke me. She said my alarm woke her. Silly me,I didnt even obey my alarm.
I rubbed my eyes and got out of bed. It was difficult convincing my brain to get prepared for work because I still looked longingly at my bed. But then,I mustered up courage and went to the corner where I had kept my equipment, I brought out my agar plates,I couldnt decide on which to use, after a brief battle with my mind I opted for the one of the Nutrient agar plates since I didnt know yet the kind of organism in the water sample yet.
Gently,I took my agar plate, inoculating loop, and sterilizer to another free section of the tent.
Then,I remembered the test tube containing the water sample and I went to Langsi's pouch to look for it. As i dipped my hand inside the pouch to retrieve my tube,I touched something like water. Had the contents of the tube spilled?
I brought the test tube out,it was still corked but empty.
I couldnt believe my eyes. My water,what happened to it? I observed the test tube and saw a little crack at the bottom and tears dropped from my eyes. One day had been wasted. With all the anger in me,I smashed the test tube on the ground.
Re: Origin Of Humans by Nobody: 8:12pm On May 12, 2016
Chisom... U no dey try ooo..at alll
Re: Origin Of Humans by Krystalzkris(f): 7:11pm On May 15, 2016
krattoss:
Chisom... U no dey try ooo..at alll
what ah do nah..
Re: Origin Of Humans by Krystalzkris(f): 7:54pm On May 15, 2016
EPISODE 7

She held my hands and consoled me. I looked at the test tube and gazed at her. Her face was reassuring.
"You still have the chance get the sample,you'v lost just one day. It won't change anything. You shouldn't be this angry"
I knew she was right, but then, I had high hopes that within the next 24 hours the result would be complete. Now,I had to start all over again. And I hadn't even checked the other spots mapped out for me.
"we will leave earlier today. I have to also reach the other spots today",I said.
"No problem"
I began to imagine what would have happened if i was with any of my coursemate,they would have dealt with me with their words for being so careless and we would have ended up fighting.

We began preparations for the next tour. I emptied my bag and started checking every single test tube in it for cracks. When,I became satisfied that I wouldnt have a recurrence of such incidence, I lay down and tried to force myself to sleep as I awaited sunrise.
Re: Origin Of Humans by Krystalzkris(f): 8:28pm On May 15, 2016
EPISODE 8

I didn't sleep much because I was restless. I had spent the greater part of the night thinking,when I was finally getting some sleep, Langsi woke me.
I didnt waste much time in dressing up and getting ready,I knew I had a long day ahead of me.
We set off earlier than we had the previous day and I was very quiet during the journey.
We reached the first spot and I collected the sample,this time,I did it myself so that I could erase every possibility of error. I checked my map for the next location and we started heading towards it.
At the end of the day,I had gathered samples from about three different locations. Even though I was happy,I didnt let my happiness intoxicate to the extent of playing at the point of duty. Moreover,I hadn't the strength for that.
This time,the journey was not as solemn as it was when we were going,we laughed and gisted happily till we arrived at the tent.
Re: Origin Of Humans by Nobody: 8:58pm On May 16, 2016
Krystalzkris:
what ah do nah..
don't worry. u go soon knw.
Re: Origin Of Humans by Nobody: 12:53pm On Feb 22, 2017
Nice. Have you considered writing a full novel and having it published yet?
Re: Origin Of Humans by Krystalzkris(f): 1:44pm On Feb 22, 2017
Ioannes:
Nice. Have you considered writing a full novel and having it published yet?
not really...

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Humans by Nobody: 1:59pm On Feb 22, 2017
Krystalzkris:
not really...

You should. You have a nice plot going on there. I already have like 5 possible directions your story could go. Lol.
Re: Origin Of Humans by Krystalzkris(f): 4:07pm On Feb 22, 2017
Ioannes:

You should. You have a nice plot going on there. I already have like 5 possible directions your story could go. Lol.
i stopped writing that story last year... I just couldn't get the chance to continue...

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Humans by Nobody: 4:22pm On Feb 22, 2017
Krystalzkris:
i stopped writing that story last year... I just couldn't get the chance to continue...

Sometimes we need space to be able to continue.

Been on my own now for almost two years despite the fact that I have a contract with Dorrance.

embarassed

Buy a big exercise book and start writing...you could use word processor if you like, but I prefer manual before typing. Gives me the opportunity to edit while typing.

I'll encourage you to start. Put something down everyday. At the end of the year, you'll be amazed at what you've written.

Try it. It's a good storyline with potentials.
Re: Origin Of Humans by Krystalzkris(f): 6:37pm On Feb 22, 2017
Ioannes:

Been on my own now for almost two years despite the fact that I have a contract with Dorrance.

embarassed

Buy a big exercise book and start writing...you could use word processor if you like, but I prefer manual before typing. Gives me the opportunity to edit while typing.

I'll encourage you to start. Put something down everyday. At the end of the year, you'll be amazed at what you've written.

thanks for the encouragement..
Re: Origin Of Humans by Krystalzkris(f): 6:38pm On Feb 22, 2017
Ioannes:

embarassed

and what is dorrance?
Re: Origin Of Humans by Nobody: 8:25pm On Feb 22, 2017
Krystalzkris:
and what is dorrance?

A publishing firm. smiley
Re: Origin Of Humans by Nobody: 8:26pm On Feb 22, 2017
Krystalzkris:
thanks for the encouragement..

You're most welcome.
Re: Origin Of Humans by jomagibs: 8:40pm On Feb 22, 2017
I don sit down

Am really going to enjoy this story
Still searching for the origin of my missing rib
Re: Origin Of Humans by Krystalzkris(f): 10:42pm On Feb 22, 2017
Ioannes:

A publishing firm. smiley
am i permitted to be interested?
Re: Origin Of Humans by Nobody: 6:49am On Feb 23, 2017
Krystalzkris:
am i permitted to be interested?

Depends on what is catching your interest. smiley
Re: Origin Of Humans by Krystalzkris(f): 7:24am On Feb 23, 2017
Ioannes:

Depends on what is catching your interest. smiley
i dont even know... I just need sites where i get income from writing online

(1) (2) (Reply)

Her Demon -A Short Story / Happy Birthday Ishilove / How To Use An Ellipsis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.