Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,086 members, 7,818,256 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:17 AM

Delta LG Workers Groan Over 10 Months Salary Backlog - Vanguard - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Delta LG Workers Groan Over 10 Months Salary Backlog - Vanguard (615 Views)

Delta LG Election Results Released By DSIEC(Photos) / Dogara Donated Six Months Salary To Covenant University – Oyedepo / Edo LG Workers Protest Non-payment Of Salary Arrears (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Delta LG Workers Groan Over 10 Months Salary Backlog - Vanguard by NewsPoacher: 8:05am On May 12, 2016
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/delta-lg-workers-groan-10-months-salary-backlog/

By Emma Amaize

More than 20 local government areas in Delta State have not received salaries in the last eight to 10 months and are reportedly starving. Investigation by Vanguard showed that many of the affected workers have absconded from their post, complaining that they do not want to collapse in their offices because of hunger.

Chairman of Association of Local Governments of Nigeria, ALGON, Delta State chapter, Mr. Malik Ikpokpo, confirmed that councils in the state were in dire need because of the downturn in the economy. Ikpokpo, who is the chairman of Isoko South Local Government Area, said: “I can confirm to you that in my council, workers have not been paid in the past 10 months and it is very disturbing to me.

“The council is practically getting zero allocation every month after the obligatory deduction of N130 million for payment of salaries of primary school teachers, two per cent allocation for agriculture, royal fathers’ stipends and other deductions. “You can imagine where there is no money to pay salary of workers, how do we get money to carry out projects? I want to improve the primary health care in my area and repair some bad roads, so many thing, but where is the money?”

He said that until lately, only three or four of the 25 councils in the state were able to pay workers from their allocations, but the tide had changed in the past two to three months, as they could no longer pay and the respective councils are currently carrying out biometric exercise. “It has been fluctuating around N10 million, N20 million and N30 million depending on the month for some time now, but we require N60 million to pay council workers and we cannot pay because our internally generated revenue is just about N1.5 million monthly,” he said.

Cc: Mynd44, Lalasticlala

Re: Delta LG Workers Groan Over 10 Months Salary Backlog - Vanguard by afroniger: 8:08am On May 12, 2016
Smh. All these states should just lay off these workers they can't afford to pay instead of punishing them. A whole Delta state

4 Likes

Re: Delta LG Workers Groan Over 10 Months Salary Backlog - Vanguard by Abagworo(m): 8:08am On May 12, 2016
There is need for civil service reform. The present system is not sustainable.

4 Likes

Re: Delta LG Workers Groan Over 10 Months Salary Backlog - Vanguard by afroniger: 8:12am On May 12, 2016
Abagworo:
There is need for civil service reform. The present system is not sustainable.

Nna, you can say that again. Wind don blow and we don see fowl yansh. It's clear that even immensely Oil-rich PDP-controlled Delta and Bayelsa states are not immune to this. If na Imo or Osun now, their sycophants won't let us hear word. Mschew.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Delta LG Workers Groan Over 10 Months Salary Backlog - Vanguard by madridguy(m): 8:15am On May 12, 2016
There is fire on the mountain. May God help our dear country. I am feeling their pains, 10 months no be joke.

3 Likes

Re: Delta LG Workers Groan Over 10 Months Salary Backlog - Vanguard by RockHard: 8:23am On May 12, 2016
Smh.
Re: Delta LG Workers Groan Over 10 Months Salary Backlog - Vanguard by DropShot: 8:23am On May 12, 2016
Shame of a nation!

It's like Nigeria is cursed but I don't want to believe it.

How can any state, especially the oil-producing ones that have been enjoying 13% additional derivation allowance for more than 20 years, be owing salaries?

This is a clear sign that all has not been well with Nigeria for many years passed. We were just patching things up because of excess earnings from crude oil.

Now, it's time to see which governor is innovative and problem-solver.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delta LG Workers Groan Over 10 Months Salary Backlog - Vanguard by Pheals(f): 8:28am On May 12, 2016
. MTchwww God knows maybe our government are cursed ni

1 Like

Re: Delta LG Workers Groan Over 10 Months Salary Backlog - Vanguard by Hengineer: 8:32am On May 12, 2016
How can an oil rich state be in this sort of mess?... and this sort of news has been hidden under the carpet since even while Nigerians have been crucifying Osun state and co. 10 good months! God help us!

4 Likes

Re: Delta LG Workers Groan Over 10 Months Salary Backlog - Vanguard by allthingsgood: 8:32am On May 12, 2016
I guess this is also buhari/apc fault. Wailers where are u??

5 Likes

Re: Delta LG Workers Groan Over 10 Months Salary Backlog - Vanguard by dridowu: 8:33am On May 12, 2016
Bayelsa and Delta are oil producing state yet they are competing with Osun over unpaid salaries.
If after receiving additional 13% oyel money and they are still owning workers then Osun derserve kudos for managing the little funds available.
Seeing this type of news is really annoying , how i wish our Obama look alike with Obanikoro thinking can say something just the same way he was busy tweeting about Osun then.

6 Likes

Re: Delta LG Workers Groan Over 10 Months Salary Backlog - Vanguard by OkutaNla: 8:36am On May 12, 2016
Did I just read 10-months How dem no go wan die of hunger. Okowa should act fast.

1 Like

Re: Delta LG Workers Groan Over 10 Months Salary Backlog - Vanguard by Abagworo(m): 8:45am On May 12, 2016
dridowu:
Bayelsa and Delta are oil producing state yet they are competing with Osun over unpaid salaries.
If after receiving additional 13% oyel money and they are still owning workers then Osun derserve kudos for managing the little funds available

The truth is that all the 36 States are having this issue. Forget what the media dishes out. There has been selective salary payment across Nigerian States for the past 2 years. Some States like Imo were focused on regular payment of teachers and if you ask your relative who is a teacher you might believe Government is not owing. Most States are owing Local Government staffs more than 6 months. The worst hit are the parastatals.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Fuel Price hike Is Buhari’s Wickedness Taken two far, It’s Fraudulent - Fayose / Photos: Billionaire Jimoh Ibrahim's NICON Luxury Hotel Sealed Over Unpaid Taxes / Saraki's Trial: “we Have No Details To Sustain Charge 11” Says Witness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.