Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,196 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:30 AM

How To Charge Your Smartphone On Your Laptop When Its On Sleep Mode - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How To Charge Your Smartphone On Your Laptop When Its On Sleep Mode (2548 Views)

My Laptop Can Not Charge Phone When On Sleep Mode..pls HELP / What Are The Major Specs To Check In A Laptop When Getting One? / Small Cylinder In Your Laptop Charger: Ever Wondered What It Is For (afriwap) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Charge Your Smartphone On Your Laptop When Its On Sleep Mode by Nobody: 11:55pm On May 12, 2016
Many people know that it is impossible to charge our smartphone from our laptop when our laptop is on sleep mode.

This is a major problem has caused me in particular numerous challenges that made me research about this topic.
For the benefit of some people, let me explain the meaning of a pc being on sleep mode.

Sleep mode is a mode that a pc enters when not operated for a while depending on the length of time set by default or by the user. While in this mode, the pc becomes idle but not off, and no function works on it until you tap on any key on your keyboard. In this mode, we notice that any phone connected to the pc automatically stops charging because the usb ports become disabled in this mode.
Imagine you being in a public transport, and travelling to a far place and your phone’s battery is flat. Meanwhile, your laptop battery life is fully charged or has some charge but you cannot possibly on it and keep it active in order to charge your phone with it because of certain reasons……

The afore mentioned scenario creates a mental picture which clearly states the importance of this article to everyone. At the end of this tutorial, you should be able to comfortably charge your smartphone with your pc when it is on sleep mode. The steps are easy and can be done by anyone, no matter the level of knowledge you have about a pc.
The logic behind this is just to enable some features that keep USB ports on in sleep mode, thereby allowing us charge our phones all the time, even when our pc enters the sleeping mode.

To do so, you’re advised to follow the steps below carefully:

Step 1: locate your device manager: the settings that we want to change is found on the device manager. There are several ways of locating the device manager which include:
i. From anywhere on your pc, press the combination of Windows key + X, and then select Device Manager from the list.
ii. Press Windows key + R together, and entering the word devmgmt.msc in the box that appears and click enter.
iii. For those that have Cortana on their pc, you can also use it to locate Device manager.
iv. Also, when you right click on This PC icon on your desktop and select properties, you will see the device manager on the top left corner of the screen that appears.

Step 2: once the device manager opens, click on Universal Serial Bus Controller as seen on the picture below. After that, all USB devices opens, then right click on the USB Root Hub option and select Properties option

Step 3: Once the Properties of the USB Root Hub are opened you will see a tab named Power Management. Open this tab and from here you will see an option saying “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power ”. You have to uncheck (untick) this option and then click on the OK button as can be seen on the image below.

Bravo! After that, you can now
This means that you can even if you close the lid of your laptop, provided it is on. It is worthy of note that this can work on your phone if you set the USB option of your phone to ‘’charging only’’.

Over to you.
Hope you enjoyed the article?
Feel free to tell us how helpful it was using the comment box below. Keep visiting us for refreshing and highly informative tech tips and tricks that are well explained.
Best regards!

was originally written by me at www.researchersportal.org/2016/05/how-to-charge-your-phone-on-laptop-when.html

just dimmed it fit to share

1 Like

Re: How To Charge Your Smartphone On Your Laptop When Its On Sleep Mode by naijafox(m): 1:25am On May 13, 2016
Wow
Will try it out
Re: How To Charge Your Smartphone On Your Laptop When Its On Sleep Mode by Emeka71(m): 2:06am On May 13, 2016
ikechukwuapeh:
Many people know that it is impossible to charge our smartphone from our laptop when our laptop is on sleep mode.

This is a major problem has caused me in particular numerous challenges that made me research about this topic.
For the benefit of some people, let me explain the meaning of a pc being on sleep mode.

Sleep mode is a mode that a pc enters when not operated for a while depending on the length of time set by default or by the user. While in this mode, the pc becomes idle but not off, and no function works on it until you tap on any key on your keyboard. In this mode, we notice that any phone connected to the pc automatically stops charging because the usb ports become disabled in this mode.
Imagine you being in a public transport, and travelling to a far place and your phone’s battery is flat. Meanwhile, your laptop battery life is fully charged or has some charge but you cannot possibly on it and keep it active in order to charge your phone with it because of certain reasons……

The afore mentioned scenario creates a mental picture which clearly states the importance of this article to everyone. At the end of this tutorial, you should be able to comfortably charge your smartphone with your pc when it is on sleep mode. The steps are easy and can be done by anyone, no matter the level of knowledge you have about a pc.
The logic behind this is just to enable some features that keep USB ports on in sleep mode, thereby allowing us charge our phones all the time, even when our pc enters the sleeping mode.

To do so, you’re advised to follow the steps below carefully:

Step 1: locate your device manager: the settings that we want to change is found on the device manager. There are several ways of locating the device manager which include:
i. From anywhere on your pc, press the combination of Windows key + X, and then select Device Manager from the list.
ii. Press Windows key + R together, and entering the word devmgmt.msc in the box that appears and click enter.
iii. For those that have Cortana on their pc, you can also use it to locate Device manager.
iv. Also, when you right click on This PC icon on your desktop and select properties, you will see the device manager on the top left corner of the screen that appears.

Step 2: once the device manager opens, click on Universal Serial Bus Controller as seen on the picture below. After that, all USB devices opens, then right click on the USB Root Hub option and select Properties option

Step 3: Once the Properties of the USB Root Hub are opened you will see a tab named Power Management. Open this tab and from here you will see an option saying “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power ”. You have to uncheck (untick) this option and then click on the OK button as can be seen on the image below.

Bravo! After that, you can now
This means that you can even if you close the lid of your laptop, provided it is on. It is worthy of note that this can work on your phone if you set the USB option of your phone to ‘’charging only’’.

Over to you.
Hope you enjoyed the article?
Feel free to tell us how helpful it was using the comment box below. Keep visiting us for refreshing and highly informative tech tips and tricks that are well explained.
Best regards!

was originally written by me at www.researchersportal.org/2016/05/how-to-charge-your-phone-on-laptop-when.html

just dimmed it fit to share
Great tutorial.
Re: How To Charge Your Smartphone On Your Laptop When Its On Sleep Mode by sammoe(m): 5:21am On May 13, 2016
Well written.
Re: How To Charge Your Smartphone On Your Laptop When Its On Sleep Mode by mavister(m): 6:59am On May 13, 2016
I use an ASUS Rog... I even charge when the p.c is completely shut down and as such, can charge for a longer period of time than u would get in sleep mode. Is possible if your motherboard supports it

2 Likes

Re: How To Charge Your Smartphone On Your Laptop When Its On Sleep Mode by netx(m): 11:07am On May 13, 2016
didn't work on my pc, thanks anyway.
Re: How To Charge Your Smartphone On Your Laptop When Its On Sleep Mode by Nobody: 11:43pm On May 13, 2016
great guys! Happy it helped. Thanks for the heartwarming comments
Re: How To Charge Your Smartphone On Your Laptop When Its On Sleep Mode by Nobody: 11:44pm On May 13, 2016
netx:
didn't work on my pc, thanks anyway.
.Sir, follow the steps properly and it will work. Thanks
Re: How To Charge Your Smartphone On Your Laptop When Its On Sleep Mode by LongJohnS: 10:40pm On May 15, 2016
mavister:
I use an ASUS Rog... I even charge when the p.c is completely shut down and as such, can charge for a longer period of time than u would get in sleep mode. Is possible if your motherboard supports it
Woww. Can you share your steps pls??

1 Like

Re: How To Charge Your Smartphone On Your Laptop When Its On Sleep Mode by kaylechy(m): 6:55am On May 16, 2016
it didn't work

(1) (Reply)

The Recovery Server Could Not Be Contacted Error / US Used Dell Latitude 3330 Core I3 Available For Sale / ✈✳✅clean Grade A USA Used Lenovo LAPTOPS Thinkpad & Ideapad Core I7 & I5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.