Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,611 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:11 PM

Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage (22050 Views)

Photos Of The Oil Workers, UNIMAID Staff Before They Were Abducted By Boko Haram / FG Okays 29-member Panel On N56,000 Minimum Wage Demand / FG To Propose N45,000 Minimum Wage, Meets Labour Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by Nobody: 11:36pm On May 13, 2016
Following the increase in the price of petrol from N86.50 to N145 per litre, oil workers in the country have called on the federal government to increase the new minimum wage from N18,000 to N90,000.

Rising from their meeting in Calabar, Cross River on Friday, the oil workers under the umbrellas of the National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG) and the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association commended the Federal Government for removing subsidy on petrol.

They said that they would push for a new minimum wage demand of N90, 000, given the new development.

“With the new pump price of N145 per litre, government must speed up the negotiation process for a new minimum wage of N90, 000 to cushion the effect of the envisaged inflation.

“As the price of fuel increases, there should also be an increment in workers’ salary as the old minimum wage of N18, 000 has no effect again,’’ they stated.

In their communiqué jointly signed by Mr Francis Olabode-Johnson, President of PENGASSAN and his counterpart of NUPENG, Dr Igwe Achese, the workers welcomed the petrol price increase, adding that the measure would benefit Nigerians in the nearest future.

“After a joint meeting of NUPENG and PENGASSAN, we hereby applaud the Federal Government for the removal of subsidy to create way for private participation in the oil and gas sector.

“We will seek negotiation with the Federal Government in order to monitor the proceeds that would accrue from the price increase.

“It is not all about price increase; we must monitor the proceeds and ensure that it is being re-invested into critical sectors of the economy.

“We will watch with keen interest how the money that would accrue from the increase would be implemented to better the lives of Nigerians,’’ the communiqué said.

According to it, Nigerians have been yearning for the removal of subsidy for many years now but to no avail.

“The price is the secondary issue; the Federal Government has brought up a policy that would stop money from entering into thehands of few individuals.

“The subsidy removal is a welcome development; we must not mortgage our economy into the hands of few selfish individuals,’’ the workers said.Both unions condemned the renewed spate of pipeline vandalism in the Niger Delta, and urged the government tocheck the illegalities of the militants.

They also urged the government not to sell refineries to private individuals as scrap, but should grant full financial autonomy to the management of the refineries for optimal production.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/fuel-subsidy-removal-oil-workers-demand-n90000-new-minimum-wage/

3 Likes

Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by Nobody: 11:38pm On May 13, 2016
Association commended the Federal Government for removing subsidy on petrol.

They said that they would push for a new minimum wage demand of N90, 000, given the new development.

“With the new pump price of N145 per litre, government must speed up the negotiation process for a new minimum wage of N90, 000 to cushion the effect of the envisaged inflation.

“As the price of fuel increases, there should also be an increment in workers’ salary as the old minimum wage of N18, 000 has no effect again,’’they stated.

So the reason why NUPENG and PENGASSAN commended FG for subsidy removal was to irrationally exploit the opportunity to lobby for an increase in their minimum wage so as to gratify their selfish nature.

What happens to pensioners, private business owners, non-oil workers, students? how will they source sufficient income to meet their manifold economic demand in this period of hyper-inflation due to hike in the price of PMS?

Accepting the govt's deplorable policies just because it will favour you alone is egregious and predatory.

74 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by Nobody: 11:39pm On May 13, 2016
Op you try well well undecided
Post topic finish... You rush for FTC
Na your type keep Naija for where we dey so.... grin
How will you be earning millions(front page) and still be looking for my 5k(Ftc) to collect.... Haba!.. angry angry

In bubu's voice.. Issorite... Kwantinue! tongue tongue

Ps: I no mention name ooo

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by evy1(m): 11:39pm On May 13, 2016
90k Kwa.
Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by AngryNigerian(m): 11:40pm On May 13, 2016
So...was the price of fuel increased for government to accrue more revenue, or was it out of crass ineptitude
Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by BeeBeeOoh(m): 11:45pm On May 13, 2016
As FG was very quick to remove subsidy, they should also be quickened to grant their request. As they say, “What Is Good For Boniface Is Also Good For Boninyash..”

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by ibez007(m): 11:55pm On May 13, 2016
Subsidy Removal everywhere!!!.
The thing don dey tire abeg!...

. . . . . **Yawn
Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by pomide(m): 12:04am On May 14, 2016
Quick to Remove Fuel subsidy, Stall on the review of minimum wage to >50k now 90k?? where'd you expect Nigerian to get dough from? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by Nobody: 12:20am On May 14, 2016
Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by Lilprincey(m): 12:22am On May 14, 2016
I had a bad feeling when buhari won the election last may. The suffering we are facing now is unbearable. Transport fare is now #150 how can students cope? Garri is two cups #100. God pls, help us

15 Likes

Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by nedu2000(m): 12:25am On May 14, 2016
Ah yes, the blackmailers have arrived
NUPENG/PENGASSAN
Oya go on strike let us suffer a bit more.

3 Likes

Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by DrLee(m): 12:49am On May 14, 2016
Due to the recent increase in the price of petrol, we students demand just N50,000 minimum wage from the government smiley

9 Likes

Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by Nobody: 12:54am On May 14, 2016
No Vex Bros grin

You no quick come gringrin
NuelCrown:
Op you try well well undecided
Post topic finish... You rush for FTC

How will you be earning millions(front page) and still be looking for my 5k(Ftc) to collect.... Haba!.. angry angry

In bubu's voice.. Issorite... Kwantinue! tongue tongue

Ps: I no mention name ooo
Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by Hillzy(m): 1:10am On May 14, 2016
90k is too small compered to wat those criminal senitors are collecting n doing nothing

3 Likes

Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by Isoni(m): 1:38am On May 14, 2016
So what about those that work in the private sectors?

1 Like

Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by Almajiri1: 2:29am On May 14, 2016
100,000k and not 90,000k!
Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by hmuhammad(m): 4:56am On May 14, 2016
These oil workers na thieves, what about teachers? How much will b their minimum wage?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by eagleeye2: 5:22am On May 14, 2016
hmuhammad:
These oil workers na thieves, what about teachers? How much will b their minimum wage?
Make all man answer em Papa name.

Everyone was warned that Buhari's government will be very tough, just like '84-'85 but some people packaged the man and sold him to us in a very neat and nice wrapper. Now, we are beginning to unwrap that package.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by 989900: 5:22am On May 14, 2016
. . . and the beat goes on . . .
Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by Frankiss44(m): 6:50am On May 14, 2016
I scratch my back, you scratch my back... Who will fight for the millions of Nigerians that are unemployed and those under employed that are even earning lesser than the minimum wage of 18k? To your tent oh Isreal.. Everybody answer him papa name oh

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by kuuljay(m): 7:12am On May 14, 2016
blueto:

So the reason why NUPENG and PENGASSAN commended FG for subsidy removal was to irrationally exploit the opportunity to lobby for an increase in their minimum wage so as to gratify their selfish nature.

What happens to pensioners, private business owners, non-oil workers, students? how will they source sufficient income to meet their manifold economic demand in this period of hyper-inflation due to hike in the price of PMS?

Accepting the govt's deplorable policies just because it will favour you alone is egregious and predatory.
Na you post na you first to comment...what exactly is minimum wage,pls enlighten me
Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by Nobody: 7:19am On May 14, 2016
[Post Annulled].

1 Like

Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by Nobody: 7:21am On May 14, 2016
Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by phlemzy: 7:33am On May 14, 2016
So they had a motive for supporting the new price...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by Nobody: 7:47am On May 14, 2016
phlemzy:
So they had a motive for supporting the new price...
Yes, a selfish motive.

1 Like

Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by kuuljay(m): 9:16am On May 14, 2016
blueto:

Minimum Wage is the lowest wage permitted by law or by a special agreement (such as one with a labor union).
and is its application limited only to certain organisations only or its cuts across all sectors private and public?
Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by ogawisdom(m): 9:53am On May 14, 2016
Nice one, buhari n zombies have depreciated d purchasing power of my monthly salary by over 50%. It's like I earn half of my salary going by prices of goods n services.

Cost of maintenance n running my car has risen by over 70% angry

Everything had increased except salary, my landlord jst wrote me a letter n increased rent by 30%

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by Nobody: 9:54am On May 14, 2016
Lol what about non oil workers?

2 Likes

Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by yomalex(m): 9:56am On May 14, 2016
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by youngeagle(m): 9:57am On May 14, 2016
I use to hear garri is the food for the poor because inflation and all there nonsense doesn't affect the price but these days the price of garri is sky rocketing like Russian space ship...no way out on this one,the Dullard is really doing a gud work.
Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by Agimor(m): 10:01am On May 14, 2016
That's what every Nigeria should agitating for and the purported occupy Nigeria as though they were occupying Ghana lol.
Re: Oil Workers Demand N90,000 Minimum Wage by Beehshorp(m): 10:01am On May 14, 2016
youngeagle:
I use to hear garri is the food for the poor because inflation and all there nonsense doesn't affect the price but these days the price of garri is sky rocketing like Russian space ship...no way out on this one,the Dullard is really doing a gud work.

U dey talk of garri... Tomato here na 3 #200 even indomie don reduce size... 2 super pack now no dey belleful me...not to talk of no lite.. Where I dey use #70 naira go before now na #150... Anyways na change we dey...

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo / Abandoned Recreational Center Built By DESOPADEC In Isoko Delta State (Photos) / Premium Times Admits Misrepresenting HSBC On Buhari Reelection Bid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.