Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,367 members, 7,812,054 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:20 AM

Need Help With My Corolla 2010 Cooling System. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Need Help With My Corolla 2010 Cooling System. (1244 Views)

My Corolla Is Consuming Fuel / Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla / Let discus overheating And general radiator cooling system ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need Help With My Corolla 2010 Cooling System. by suavetony(m): 12:45pm On May 14, 2016
I bought this corolla(2010) fairly used Jan this year and is in good shape. One issue I have is the cooling system. Changed the top gasket and thermostat Feb ending and another one (top gasket again) last month ending. For now, I removed the thermostat though the fan is okay(comes up intermittently per temp setting.). Any effect of not using the mechanical thermostat? Your advise is highly appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Need Help With My Corolla 2010 Cooling System. by honmusa(m): 12:49pm On May 14, 2016
suavetony:
I bought this corolla(2010) fairly used Jan this year and is in good shape. One issue I have is the cooling system. Changed the top gasket and thermostat Feb ending and another one (top gasket again) last month ending. For now, I removed the thermostat though the fan is okay(comes up intermittently per temp setting.). Any effect of not using the mechanical thermostat? Your advise is highly appreciated. Thanks.
New Engine and catalytic converter loading grin
Thorough and adequate engine lubrication is hampered!!!
Too rich mixture fouling the catalytic converter !!
Re: Need Help With My Corolla 2010 Cooling System. by suavetony(m): 1:32pm On May 14, 2016
[quote author=honmusa post=45612396]

The engine is sound...not sure of catalytic converter. Changed the oil pump the last tym I changed the top gasket. How do I know if the mixture is rich? Thanks.
Re: Need Help With My Corolla 2010 Cooling System. by honmusa(m): 1:46pm On May 14, 2016
the mixture is rich because you are running your engine without thermostat.
The essence of the thermostat is to get your car system to move from open loop to close loop as quickly as possible and removing your thermostat will take forever to achieve close loop.
At open loop,your car will remain thirsty,catalytic converter is at risk of damage,poor engine lubrication.
Whereas it is at close loop you car system can achieve the best stoic, fuel economy,adequate engine lubrication and emission.
Re: Need Help With My Corolla 2010 Cooling System. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:26pm On May 14, 2016
honmusa:

you are catching on quick wink

1 Like

Re: Need Help With My Corolla 2010 Cooling System. by erico2k2(m): 9:42pm On May 14, 2016
suavetony:
its like removing both kidneys from a human, so do the needful put it back.
Re: Need Help With My Corolla 2010 Cooling System. by Nobody: 10:08pm On May 14, 2016
suavetony:

By removing the thermo, you are saying that you know better than the manufacturer who spent millions of dollars on research and development.
Re: Need Help With My Corolla 2010 Cooling System. by Nobody: 10:22pm On May 14, 2016
OP, did you at any point run a scan on your car?
Re: Need Help With My Corolla 2010 Cooling System. by suavetony(m): 9:01am On May 15, 2016
honmusa:
the mixture is rich because you are running your engine without thermostat.
The essence of the thermostat is to get your car system to move from open loop to close loop as quickly as possible and removing your thermostat will take forever to achieve close loop.
At open loop,your car will remain thirsty,catalytic converter is at risk of damage,poor engine lubrication.
Whereas it is at close loop you car system can achieve the best stoic, fuel economy,adequate engine lubrication and emission.

Thanks, I appreciate. Do you knw what might be the cause of rattling sound wen I start the car most times but it goes off about 15 - 20 seconds.
Re: Need Help With My Corolla 2010 Cooling System. by suavetony(m): 9:05am On May 15, 2016
0rex:
OP, did you at any point run a scan on your car?
Yes...I have a scanner though the small one for obd11 etc. It works perfectly.
Re: Need Help With My Corolla 2010 Cooling System. by suavetony(m): 9:11am On May 15, 2016
EgunMogaji:

By removing the thermo, you are saying that you know better than the manufacturer who spent millions of dollars on research and development.
So what is the immediate remedial you would have done wen d thermo refuses to open?...I changed the thermostat less than two months ago which I purchased from genuine Toyota company...HEBO Toyota parts

1 Like

Re: Need Help With My Corolla 2010 Cooling System. by suavetony(m): 9:43am On May 15, 2016
erico2k2:

its like removing both kidneys from a human, so do the needful put it back.
So if it refuses to open at the set temp...what's the next step?...
Re: Need Help With My Corolla 2010 Cooling System. by suavetony(m): 9:45am On May 15, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

you are catching on quick wink
So what do you advise based on discussions so far?
Re: Need Help With My Corolla 2010 Cooling System. by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:30am On May 15, 2016
suavetony:

So what do you advise based on discussions so far?

you will require a new engine.
Re: Need Help With My Corolla 2010 Cooling System. by Nobody: 2:24pm On May 15, 2016
suavetony:

So what is the immediate remedial you would have done wen d thermo refuses to open?...I changed the thermostat less than two months ago which I purchased from genuine Toyota company...HEBO Toyota parts

Put another thermal in.
Re: Need Help With My Corolla 2010 Cooling System. by honmusa(m): 4:30pm On May 15, 2016
suavetony:

Thanks, I appreciate. Do you knw what might be the cause of rattling sound wen I start the car most times but it goes off about 15 - 20 seconds.
that is effect of inadequate lubrication I talk about earlier as a result of not adhering to manufacturer recommendation :
1.0 Don't run your engine without a thermostat
2.0 Using wrong engine oil (20w50) .
This will cost you a new engine .
Re: Need Help With My Corolla 2010 Cooling System. by oNj(m): 9:39pm On May 15, 2016
suavetony:

honmusa:

that is effect of inadequate lubrication I talk about earlier as a result of not adhering to manufacturer recommendation :

Actually the cold rattle is not oil-related, some users reported having the issue even while still on low mileages; it's a known problem with 2009/2010 Corolla, which Toyota has addressed with a TSB... Updated camshaft gear.

Mine (09 Corolla) eventually surfaced; the TSB was all that solved it and my engine is cool.

My take
Begin to undo all the kazeemed works one by one and you'll be fine.
Re: Need Help With My Corolla 2010 Cooling System. by suavetony(m): 5:10pm On May 16, 2016
oNj:

Actually the cold rattle is not oil-related, some users reported having the issue even while still on low mileages; it's a known problem with 2009/2010 Corolla, which Toyota has addressed with a TSB... Updated camshaft gear.

Mine (09 Corolla) eventually surfaced; the TSB was all that solved it and my engine is cool.

My take
Begin to undo all the kazeemed works one by one and you'll be fine.

Please can you explain further...thanks.
Re: Need Help With My Corolla 2010 Cooling System. by suavetony(m): 5:15pm On May 16, 2016
honmusa:

Not sure is lubrication...changed the oil pump recently...fixed the thermostat back...which one is the right oil please?
Re: Need Help With My Corolla 2010 Cooling System. by suavetony(m): 5:16pm On May 16, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Put another thermal in.
Done...still observing it sha.

1 Like

Re: Need Help With My Corolla 2010 Cooling System. by suavetony(m): 5:19pm On May 16, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

you will require a new engine.
The sound of the engine is very neat...noiseless. Not sure is related to the engine. Thanks for d suggestion.
Re: Need Help With My Corolla 2010 Cooling System. by Nobody: 5:28pm On May 16, 2016
suavetony:

Done...still observing it sha.

Good job.

Though rare, new part has been known to be DOA.

(1) (Reply)

Best Corolla Generation For First Time Corolla User? / Benefits Of Tramigo Car Trackers For Nigeria / 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Gls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.