Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,754 members, 7,827,777 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:55 PM

Fuel Subsidy Not Removed, VP Osinbajo Clears The Air - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy Not Removed, VP Osinbajo Clears The Air (670 Views)

Edward Onoja: "There Is No God If Dino Melaye Is Not Removed As Senator" / I Was Not Removed, I Finished My Assignment – SGF / Fuel Subsidy Not Removed - Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fuel Subsidy Not Removed, VP Osinbajo Clears The Air by Nobody: 8:57am On May 15, 2016

Contrary to popular knowledge that the federal government has expunged oil subsidy from the Nigerian oil and gas system, Vice President, Yemi Osinabjo refuted the claim, saying it was not true. Osinabjo said that what the government did was to withdraw the monopoly hitherto enjoyed by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC to allow free market sales. He said that “at $40 a barrel, there isn’t much of a subsidy to remove.”

In a statement tilted “The Fuel Pricing Debate: Our story”, personally signed by him, the Vice President said that the decision to adopt a new measure was essentially informed by the non availability of foreign exchange for the independent marketers to import fuel. His Statement: “The Fuel Pricing Debate: Our Story

“Fellow Citizens: “I have read the various observations about the fuel pricing regime and the attendant issues generated. All certainly have strong points. “The most important issue of course is how to shield the poor from the worst effects of the policy. I will hopefully address that in another note. “Permit me an explanation of the policy. First, the real issue is not a removal of subsidy. At $40 a barrel there isn’t much of a subsidy to remove. “In any event, the President is probably one of the most convinced pro-subsidy advocates.

“What happened is as follows: our local consumption of fuel is almost entirely imported. The NNPC exchanges crude from its joint venture share to provide about 50% of local fuel consumption. The remaining 50% is imported by major and independent marketers.

“These marketers up until three months ago sourced their foreign exchange from the Central Bank of Nigeria at the official rate. However, since late last year, independent marketers have brought in little or no fuel because they have been unable to get foreign exchange from the CBN. The CBN simply did not have enough. (In April, oil earnings dipped to $550 million. The amount required for fuel importation alone is about $225million!).

“Meanwhile, NNPC tried to cover the 50% shortfall by dedicating more export crude for domestic consumption. Besides the short term depletion of the Federation Account, which is where the FG and States are paid from, and further cash-call debts pilling up, NNPC also lacked the capacity to distribute 100% of local consumption around the country. Previously, they were responsible for only about 50%. (Partly the reason for the lingering scarcity).

Source: Vanguard
https://www.informationng.com/2016/05/fuel-subsidy-not-removed-vp-osinbajo-clears-the-air.html
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed, VP Osinbajo Clears The Air by Nobody: 8:58am On May 15, 2016
A P C......... CHA.........

Pls help me complete it.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed, VP Osinbajo Clears The Air by Nobody: 8:59am On May 15, 2016
Yes
It's sinple.
Queue to buy at 87
Buy freely at 145
Or allow marketers sell at above 200. That's total deregulation.

It's not only fuel we need in this country and revenue from oil has fallen and it's one major revenue earner.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed, VP Osinbajo Clears The Air by Chriswazo(m): 9:10am On May 15, 2016
Am seeing this news for the 2nd time. Hope it doesn't appear on the FP. Am just tired of this confused and lying government, man go survive no matter what they throw at us. :-

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed, VP Osinbajo Clears The Air by naija247: 9:17am On May 15, 2016
Bottom line; fuel price don increase.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed, VP Osinbajo Clears The Air by rerhji(m): 9:26am On May 15, 2016
watching in 3d
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed, VP Osinbajo Clears The Air by nrexzy: 9:28am On May 15, 2016
Subsidy wasn't Removed it was comotgrin
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed, VP Osinbajo Clears The Air by Nobody: 9:37am On May 15, 2016
Papa Adeboye should pls appeal to Osinbajo and his oga to rule with THE FEAR OF GOD. Their change is turning to a negative one
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed, VP Osinbajo Clears The Air by Nobody: 9:39am On May 15, 2016
I support the fight on corruption only... only corruption because seriously understanding the policy summersault coupled with lies and all sorts of attrocities...

These xtics breed bad reputation for this govt..

Now a lot of filling stations are closed... they dont want to lift because tomorrow.. subsidy is back again or we have fully deregulated... thereby running loss on that lifted and supposed to sell at 145..

Its really terrible.. i think what we need more is not prayers but empathy... if we put our selves in other people shoes.. we wld see that some people are poor right from the start... poorer means death...
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed, VP Osinbajo Clears The Air by Preciousnelly19: 9:51am On May 15, 2016
Hmmmmmm......
CHANGE is here grin grin grin
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed, VP Osinbajo Clears The Air by Nobody: 10:40am On May 15, 2016
Esseite:
I support the fight on corruption only... only corruption because seriously understanding the policy summersault coupled with lies and all sorts of attrocities...

These xtics breed bad reputation for this govt..

Now a lot of filling stations are closed... they dont want to lift because tomorrow.. subsidy is back again or we have fully deregulated... thereby running loss on that lifted and supposed to sell at 145..

Its really terrible.. i think what we need more is not prayers but empathy... if we put our selves in other people shoes.. we wld see that some people are poor right from the start... poorer means death...

You are FANTASTICALLY correct.

Poverty is absolute when one's only riches is MONEY.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Not Removed, VP Osinbajo Clears The Air by otukpo(f): 10:43am On May 15, 2016
Now i know that God is angry with Nigeria.

APC govt is God's punishment on Nigerians.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Lovely Photos Of Ffk's Wife, Precious Chikwendu As She Celebrates Her Birthday / List Of What APC Achieved In ONE Year Against PDP 16 Years in office. / Arrogant Posture Of The Nigerian Politician.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.