Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,830 members, 7,820,911 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

Why Is Rails Adoption So Slow In Nigeria? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Is Rails Adoption So Slow In Nigeria? (4024 Views)

Recommend A Cheap Website Hosting Company (with Rails Support) / Ruby On Rails Developer Wanted - Its Urgent / Rails 5.0 RC 1 Is Out! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Rails Adoption So Slow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jun 17, 2016
dhtml18:
I use a lot of technologies e.g.
PHP
ASP/ASPX (VB.NET)
NODE.JS
JSP
JAVA
and at least 12 others (irrelevant)

However, as far as web technologies is concerned, it is PHP/JAVA/Android that I earn my living from. The others are just for knowing sake as far as I am concerned.

But if your experience is different, fine. I am not forcing or begging anyone to learn PHP. I use many tools, anyone client request, i do.

Please you guys on this thread, dont learn PHP - leave PHP for people like me to do. The lesser the people that can use it - the more my charges will increase. But if all these dudes flood am now, wahala go start.

Before I go, I am still waiting for the Nigerian market to move towards python / NODE. I have already learnt those technologies, because I know it is a matter of time, PHP will likely get phased out very soon and migration shall be towards NOSQL things.

As for those using .NET exclusively, they have better migrate because there is trouble in that area already.
You don't what what you are saying. Trouble in .net ? how? You are talking about a platform that is being ported to linux systems and has native Android development due to xamarin plus the fact that most Microsoft dev tools are being open sourced. Everybody knows that what is keeping Java alive is Android.
Re: Why Is Rails Adoption So Slow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jun 17, 2016
duvie92:
You don't what what you are saying. Trouble in .net ? how? You are talking about a platform that is being ported to linux systems and has native Android development due to xamarin plus the fact that most Microsoft dev tools are being open sourced. Everybody knows that what is keeping Java alive is Android.
Dude, you can see what you like. I am not here to argue with anyone, you obviously fail to understand my point.
I will let it rest at that, afteral everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I am not talking of .NET having issues, I am just saying that the Nigerian tech market is all PHP (and lesser of .NET, ruby on rails, NODE.JS etc).

See, I am also a .NET user, contrary to many of you other guys that use only one language and criticize the rest. I see all of them as tools to be used to make MONEY.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Rails Adoption So Slow In Nigeria? by stack1(m): 11:46pm On Jun 17, 2016
Uhm, not to be off topic, but i thought i should bring it to everyones notice about a new social platform created by a Nigerian that really rivals the big boys in a lot of features... need i say more, head over to www.greenhouze.xyz
Re: Why Is Rails Adoption So Slow In Nigeria? by cbrass(m): 11:56pm On Jun 17, 2016
Some times I wonder the kind of programmers we have here,many dont read and very ignorant. This issue of Ruby trying to par with PHP don tey, it's not perculiar to naija alone. To those that just like to talk with out research, Ruby and Php came out the same year but we all know where PHP and Ruby is today, don't blame naija clients for liking PHP, PHP has gone soooooo far, and Ruby can't meet up again it's just the truth grin

1 Like

Re: Why Is Rails Adoption So Slow In Nigeria? by louie3(m): 12:12am On Jun 18, 2016
cbrass:
Some times I wonder the kind of programmers we have here,many dont read and very ignorant. This issue of Ruby trying to par with PHP don tey, it's not perculiar to naija alone. To those that just like to talk with out research, Ruby and Php came out the same year but we all know where PHP and Ruby is today, don't blame naija clients for liking PHP, PHP has gone soooooo far, and Ruby can't meet up again it's just the truth grin
abeg help me tell them

1 Like

Re: Why Is Rails Adoption So Slow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:51am On Jun 18, 2016
cbrass:
They will not hear no matter how many times we tell them

duvie92:
Like this dude here thought I was talking from a technological perspective. Whether android is keeping JAVA alive or vice versa is not relevant to me, but i know that the highest request by Nigerian companies at this time, this year is - can you design an android app for us. . .

1 Like

Re: Why Is Rails Adoption So Slow In Nigeria? by wisemania(m): 10:33am On Jun 18, 2016
#php_is_awesome
Re: Why Is Rails Adoption So Slow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jun 19, 2016
dhtml18:

Dude, you can see what you like. I am not here to argue with anyone, you obviously fail to understand my point.
I will let it rest at that, afteral everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I am not talking of .NET having issues, I am just saying that the Nigerian tech market is all PHP (and lesser of .NET, ruby on rails, NODE.JS etc).

See, I am also a .NET user, contrary to many of you other guys that use only one language and criticize the rest. I see all of them as tools to be used to make MONEY.
Look every tech has their market. php is for the masses, just because majority of the population don't use .net doesn't mean there is trouble there. When you are talking about enterprise development, you talk about .net and java not php. Does that mean that php is bad? of course not. Every tech has their focal point

1 Like

Re: Why Is Rails Adoption So Slow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jun 19, 2016
dhtml18:

They will not hear no matter how many times we tell them

Like this dude here thought I was talking from a technological perspective. Whether android is keeping JAVA alive or vice versa is not relevant to me, but i know that the highest request by Nigerian companies at this time, this year is - can you design an android app for us. . .
Whichever perspective you are coming from, you ain't making sense bro by saying .net is in trouble. No be the same naija we dey? Or are you talking about another country?
Re: Why Is Rails Adoption So Slow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jun 19, 2016
duvie92:
Whichever perspective you are coming from, you ain't making sense bro by saying .net is in trouble. No be the same naija we dey? Or are you talking about another country?
I hereby rest my case peacefully. No vex bro.
Re: Why Is Rails Adoption So Slow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jun 19, 2016
wisemania:
#php_is_awesome
I completely agree with you - no matter what duvie92 says. . .
Re: Why Is Rails Adoption So Slow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jun 20, 2016
duvie92:
You don't what what you are saying. Trouble in .net ? how? You are talking about a platform that is being ported to linux systems and has native Android development due to xamarin plus the fact that most Microsoft dev tools are being open sourcegd. Everybody knows that what is keeping Java alive is Android.

Such a bold statement, clearly you don't work in an Enterprise environment , not that I do Java but if anything Android is the least thing keeping Java alive. As in the very least

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Rails Adoption So Slow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:53am On Jun 21, 2016
pcguru1:

Such a bold statement, clearly you don't work in an Enterprise environment , not that I do Java but if anything Android is the least thing keeping Java alive. As in the very least
So please educate me on what is keeping java, a language bought by Oracle because they wanted to compete with Microsoft and which has not undergone any radical improvements. That's why the likes of C# has caught up with it. With .net now on linux, the only advantage Oracle has is the android os which xamarin and now react native have shown us that it is possible to port android native apis to other languages. That is why Microsoft bought xamarin or you think they are stupid? Java is currently living on legacy. I rest my case.
Re: Why Is Rails Adoption So Slow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jun 21, 2016
duvie92:
So please educate me on what is keeping java, a language bought by Oracle because they wanted to compete with Microsoft and which has not undergone any radical improvements. That's why the likes of C# has caught up with it. With .net now on linux, the only advantage Oracle has is the android os which xamarin and now react native have shown us that it is possible to port android native apis to other languages. That is why Microsoft bought xamarin or you think they are stupid? Java is currently living on legacy. I rest my case.

go and explain that to all the company running on Enterprise Java, that because it's not innovating they should re-write their core business in XY language. There's more to platform than just cool features, I seriously think you need to research and see backings behind Java.

Due to my job am lucky to see what powering XY solution in banks and other places, and i can tell you Java has a stay, sadly i can't convince you, you can choose what to believe, but what i will advice you is that don't be a fanboy of any tech at the end of the day they are all tools, i don't like Ruby but if i need it to do something i will use it.

Take care

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Rails Adoption So Slow In Nigeria? by pseudonomer: 10:20am On Jun 23, 2016
duvie92:

Java will always stay, and will be here for a long time. Do you even know about JavaFX, you can write an iOS, Android, and desktop apps with it. Just one programming code, and it runs everywhere. Write Once, Runs Every. If you are designing anything serious, Enterprise Applications, You should use Java.

So Android is not what is keeping Java Alive.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Need An Android App For Your Blog/website? Get One Free / How To Transfer Ownership If Buy A Used Autel Scanner? / Digital Map Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.