Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,484 members, 7,850,670 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 07:01 AM

What Exactly Does One Benefit From These Governments? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Exactly Does One Benefit From These Governments? (612 Views)

18 States That Will Benefit From $500m World Bank Projects / What Exactly Are We Restructuring? - Dele Momodu / 17 States To Benefit From Fed Govt’s $29.9b Loan (see The List) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Exactly Does One Benefit From These Governments? by Nobody: 6:07am On May 16, 2016
It is not the writer's intention to undermine the governments' provision of basic amenities, it is an evaluation of the citizens immediate benefits from the governments of the day. Readers are liable to their comments made here just as they are entitled to their opinions.

Let's roll...

In an attempt to explain to a neighbour what the removal of fuel subsidy means, I told her that; the government has stopped paying half of the original price it takes to buy fuel in every litre; that usually, the government pays part and the individual pays the rest to get fuel. Then she asked me this question: what will the government use the money they stopped paying for fuel to do for us? I reflected on that question for a long time while alone in my room.

Better put, what do we benefit from this government if they can't at least pay part of the required amount for us to get fuel?
What do the governments do with our taxes? When we pay for light, water, fuel, house, even roads?

Let's take a look at the health sector; we pay a token before seeing doctors at government hospitals, when you finally get in, after spending 5hours or more, you may only be given Paracetamol and other drugs prescribed will be bought at private pharmacies at such an exorbitant rate.

You get arrested by police, you will have to pay for transportation from the point of arrest to the station, where you will be lodged in a rusty hotel(cell) and be forced to pay compulsory N10,000 per night, even though bail is free! Sometimes, you go to bail somebody and end up bailing yourself too.

You go to court as a poor man, the judge will sing: "you have a right to an attorney and if you can't afford one, the state/government will provide one for you within 24hours". My brother, na back to cell till God knows when so o! Even if they bring you one, it will be an I.T Law student who will further convict you!

Government owned schools have fees structure of between N80,000 to N200,000(LASU for instance). Secondary schools too are monitized.

No regulation on transportation. Of course no fuel, how then do you regulate that! No housing scheme except for top Civil servants and politicians. How then do unemployed citizens get shelters? Just when you try going into business with your little N50,000, you will be slammed with tax of more that double of your capital and be forced to shut down.

I know every citizen pays tax, whether employed or not, through the Value Added Tax(VAT), which of course is said to be too little at 5% or so thus, the proposed review upwards.

My question now is: WHAT EXACTLY DO WE BENEFIT FROM THESE GOVERNMENTS?

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Does One Benefit From These Governments? by jcross19: 6:11am On May 16, 2016
Collapse economy.

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Does One Benefit From These Governments? by chriskosherbal(m): 6:14am On May 16, 2016
My friend let's keep hope alive.

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Does One Benefit From These Governments? by kossyablaze(m): 6:15am On May 16, 2016
Red account balance

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Does One Benefit From These Governments? by Nobody: 6:16am On May 16, 2016
^^
Hope is like the flame, it needs something to fan it.
Re: What Exactly Does One Benefit From These Governments? by Nobody: 6:17am On May 16, 2016
jcross19:
Collapse economy.
I focused on the basic things one needs!
Re: What Exactly Does One Benefit From These Governments? by Nobody: 6:18am On May 16, 2016
kossyablaze:
Red account balance
Hehehehehe. That got me laughing out loud!
Re: What Exactly Does One Benefit From These Governments? by SamuelAnyawu(m): 6:20am On May 16, 2016
Oil dropped it's nothing New cool lemme be patient to see how PMB will sail this country to its treasures. cool

When Oil sold over 140 dollars cool it was only our leaders who cornered the billions cool cool
Re: What Exactly Does One Benefit From These Governments? by Nobody: 6:24am On May 16, 2016
SamuelAnyawu:
Oil dropped it's nothing New cool lemme be patient to see how PMB will sail this country to its treasures. cool

When Oil sold over 140 dollars cool it was only our leaders who cornered the billions cool cool
But have you really asked yourself what you've benefited so far as a citizen of this great nation?
Re: What Exactly Does One Benefit From These Governments? by scribble: 6:38am On May 16, 2016
Hardship

Neglect

Insult

Tax

Poverty

Insecurity

Brutality

Murder

Other things like these

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Does One Benefit From These Governments? by SamuelAnyawu(m): 6:40am On May 16, 2016
stevedure:

But have you really asked yourself what you've benefited so far as a citizen of this great nation?

nothing for now. But I'm still hoping cool cool cool
Re: What Exactly Does One Benefit From These Governments? by Pavore9: 6:59am On May 16, 2016
Historically the government has not worked for us, it is zooms benefits to political office holders and their cronies! angry

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Does One Benefit From These Governments? by TheNonce: 7:39am On May 16, 2016
Corruption!
Re: What Exactly Does One Benefit From These Governments? by Nobody: 7:45am On May 16, 2016
SamuelAnyawu:

nothing for now. But I'm still hoping cool cool cool
Yea, being positive is good, but for his long?
Re: What Exactly Does One Benefit From These Governments? by Nobody: 7:48am On May 16, 2016
We must continue to ask these questions until someone, perhaps, government officials also sit down to ask what benefits the ordinary man in the streets and creeks of Nigeria derive!

(1) (Reply)

I Am For Everybody And For Nobody, When Everybody Fight U, Nobody Will Defend U / Lessons Pres. Buhari Should Learn From Zidane Champions League Final Victory / Kashim Shettima & Rochas Okorocha For President & Vice President Campaign Poster

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.