Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,818 members, 7,831,665 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip (11351 Views)

Who Enlighten Me The Difference Between (com.ng) And (ng) / I Can Build And Manage Your Static/cms (dynamic) And E-commerce Websites / What Is The Difference Between .ng And .com.ng Domain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by LordReed(m): 10:28am On May 17, 2016
BetaTechnicians:
the reason for having static and dynamic IPs is due to the constraint of limited IP addresses on the IPv4 protocol but IPv6 hopefully wouldn't need such but there's the issue of privacy and security still to be addressed.

Static and dynamic ip have nothing to do with IPv4 depletion. IPv4 depletion is occuring because the pool cannot sustain the growth in use.
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by BetaTechnicians: 10:32am On May 17, 2016
LordReed:

Static and dynamic ip have nothing to do with IPv4 depletion. IPv4 depletion is occuring because the pool cannot sustain the growth in use.
there's an indirect relation, if everyone was given a static IP, would there be enough to go round?
I'm talking from the perspective of leasing IPs.
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by charloski(m): 10:53am On May 17, 2016
When you nee a static Ip Address.. yor ISP can give you one. for example if you want to install a CCTV that you can remotely access via the internet, there have to be a static IP that you must connect to..... this is where you ISP comes in.

Also in the aspect of many user making you of use of one IP address from a particular ISP .... there is what we call PAT (Port Address Translation) in a Routing Network, all ISP use this for many customer in other to have more user with less IP giving out.
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by mrover(m): 11:20am On May 17, 2016
Nice one @op
How do you config the IP address of choice on your system?
Either dynamic or static?
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by LordReed(m): 12:49pm On May 17, 2016
BetaTechnicians:

there's an indirect relation, if everyone was given a static IP, would there be enough to go round?
I'm talking from the perspective of leasing IPs.

In a way but you know there'd still be dynamic ip when IPv6 is fully implimented.
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by LordReed(m): 12:51pm On May 17, 2016
charloski:
When you nee a static Ip Address.. yor ISP can give you one. for example if you want to install a CCTV that you can remotely access via the internet, there have to be a static IP that you must connect to..... this is where you ISP comes in.

Also in the aspect of many user making you of use of one IP address from a particular ISP .... there is what we call PAT (Port Address Translation) in a Routing Network, all ISP use this for many customer in other to have more user with less IP giving out.

PAT or NAT ?
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by Chimdiebere(m): 1:07pm On May 17, 2016
akinmusi:
@op how do you change a static IP? Will changing your ISP automatically change your IP?

For instance, I discovered my IP cannot allow me make online payment via my ATM.

How do I change such IP?

I discovered this because I am using the system and modem of my friend who recently left the country. And having talked to somebody about it, I was told the IP has been blacklisted.

What gave me concern was when the site I used in hosting my property ads notified me that I was reported for violating their terms and condition being the fact that I refused to meet clients and asking for money before delivery. I was like "how?"

Please enlighten me and suggest ways to correct this. I am sure some other people might have such problems too and yet to know.

@edisonvpb
use a VPN! it'd be better!
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by suyamasta(m): 1:08pm On May 17, 2016
LordReed:

Both static and dynamic ips can be ddos. You need to firewalls or routers that can filter out ddos attacks.
Ok thanks
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by Chimdiebere(m): 1:09pm On May 17, 2016
Use Orbot and thank me Later! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin wink wink wink
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by charloski(m): 1:21pm On May 17, 2016
LordReed:

PAT or NAT ?

NAT is Network Address Translation.. while PAT is Port Address Translation aka Many -to - One Addressing
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by BetaTechnicians: 1:46pm On May 17, 2016
LordReed:

In a way but you know there'd still be dynamic ip when IPv6 is fully implimented.
surely there'll be.
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by kobonaire(m): 2:45pm On May 17, 2016
BetaTechnicians:

Dynamic IPs have a lease period, once it expires you'll be reallocated another IP possibly within same subnet.
Yes, I was just trying to emphasize that dynamically issued IP addresses are never shared consecutively (at the same time). Your OP was a little misleading in that way.
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by akinmusi(m): 7:23am On May 18, 2016
Chimdiebere:
use a VPN! it'd be better!

princedede:

You might have to change some settings on ur pc. Probably the IP ur friend was using had been blacklisted. Due to him disguising himself online such is d practice of yahoo boys for example. First of all check whoer.net u will see d IP u are using and d country of origin. So u can revert back to ur normal IP address. If still same issue then contact ur ISP provider.

KingRex1:
You would have to contact the service provider, request for a static IP address, fill a form, state reasons for the use, photocopy ur I.D nd a doc verifying ur address (such as light or water bill).
This is certainly how its done with spectranet or smile.

Thank you all. I am taking steps.

Regards.
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by KingRex1(m): 1:59pm On May 18, 2016
akinmusi:

Thank you all. I am taking steps.
Regards.
Yea you welcome.. what do you intend using it for?
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by Atmosfear: 4:11pm On May 18, 2016
clogogo:

Go get a router from a good network subscriber ...then instead of using dynamic IP use a static IP...with that IP u can configure your cctv to work with a static IP..-it is too easy to configure ..

I can help, if you need further assistance

Thank you very much. Which network router do you recommend of MTN, GLO, etc.? And how to configure
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by clogogo(m): 5:30pm On May 18, 2016
Atmosfear:

Thank you very much. Which network router do you recommend of MTN, GLO, etc.? And how to configure

It depends which is best for you environment and the cost too ... but u sure to you a network router that will give you asset to their back end interface where you can configure your router
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by edisonvpb(m): 4:37am On May 25, 2016
Rhaspody:
Nice write up. I play a lot of games online. so obviously I need to have a static IP address. Do I get it from my ISP or set it up myself inside my router?

yes,you can.you need to login your router to set static ip address.after you done setup of static ip,if you cant connect your network,you need to check whether the configuration of DNS and static ip is right or not.

Thank you
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by edisonvpb(m): 4:58am On May 25, 2016
HomeOfMe:
Hello OP,in a situation where you want to fill an online form,participate in a survey,sweepstakes and all that and they tell you it is not available for people resident in your country,what can I do-is it possible to change my IP and how do I go about it,thank you.

you can contact you ISP
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by LordReed(m): 6:50am On May 25, 2016
Rhaspody:
Nice write up. I play a lot of games online. so obviously I need to have a static IP address. Do I get it from my ISP or set it up myself inside my router?

You don't need static IP for online gaming unless you are hosting a game server. For regular PC or console gaming dynamic IP works very fine.
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by LordReed(m): 6:52am On May 25, 2016
HomeOfMe:
Hello OP,in a situation where you want to fill an online form,participate in a survey,sweepstakes and all that and they tell you it is not available for people resident in your country,what can I do-is it possible to change my IP and how do I go about it,thank you.

You can mask your IP using free proxies. Just Google free proxy.
Re: The Difference Between Dynamic Ip And Static Ip by TATALoAlaMu: 4:33pm On Feb 22, 2021
clogogo:

Go get a router from a good network subscriber ...then instead of using dynamic IP use a static IP...with that IP u can configure your cctv to work with a static IP..-it is too easy to configure ..

I can help, if you need further assistance

Hello please

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fg Moves To Block Internet Streaming / Which Pays More In Lagos - Selling Clothes In Boutiques Vs Web Designing / Nairaland Regain Its No. 1 Spot Beats VanguardNGR.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.