Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,801 members, 7,810,084 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:22 PM

Nysc- Of What Use? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Nysc- Of What Use? (1012 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nysc- Of What Use? by Jemmie: 3:02pm On Aug 17, 2009
Employers tend to ask for experiences in various jobs and the NYSC 1 year training gotten can not suffice that, can you imagine?

What would be your suggesteion, should the government scrap NYSC or retain it?

If NYSC is retained it has a way of giving little experience to graduates before the labor markets call. Though most of them get deployed to a company that does not even offer their kind of professions/services, e.g. a mechanical engineer being posted to law firm, a bank or an accounting institution. What would he do there, unscew and screw the financial aspects of the organization. Another example is where a statistician is being posted to a law firm, what is his business there.

If NYSC officials can be more discreet right corps members will be posted to the right organization and the right training and experience will be achieved.

Although, this kind of wrong posting allows the corps members to learn a different field. But is it helpful to their line of profession?

If NYSC is scrapped, corps members will use that 1 year for something more tangible. Most would even use it to search for jobs and attend some useful seminars, workshops, conferences, take some exams, etc rather than being tied up in an office.

Some corps members see the NYSC scheme as a mini jail/prison. This is not because they are not allowed to leave the camp until the end date of the camp but because what they are being offered as food for the 3 weeks is nothing to write home about, the environment in which they live in is not safe, the bed in which they sleep is not clean, etc. Some of these corps members(corpers) will not even offer such food to their pets.

Though, no one can satisfy anyone but I have been there and I know what its like to be in the camp. It was terrible, it got to a time I stopped eating what was prepared by NYSC in the camp; not only me but most of us. Thank God for me and am grateful to my mum, I left Lagos for Sokoto for service with Gari Ijebu, cabin bisuits, milk, sugar and some other beverages. With these I survived for a while. At times I usually go for the pap cos I like pap. Some of the friends I made laughed at me but alas, they sneaked out of camp to the market to get some gari. We ate late in our den and were looking good. Lagos-Sokoto, it was a different world entirely but I later came to enjoy the place. I applied this: love what you have/see. My last job was a Manager in a small company but I had to move; live goes on. My posting was in a village, in a dessert area (so I called it) with the walls of the buildings falling apart and behind your window what you see is an unending field with dead trees and hills and sands. Everyday I go to bed and i always thought of a lion at my door step, or a snake (anaconda), or any of these dreadful animal, but the interesting thing is I always conquer them in my thoughts. I worked in the Local Government but I was not really allowed to do anything, not even for a day. Service indeed! Don't let me bore you with this.

The main scheme is what we are talking about now. How effective is this to the society, the corpers, the government and those concerned?

If I may ask, what is your opinion?

Cheers!
Re: Nysc- Of What Use? by olugbenga4(m): 3:09pm On Aug 20, 2009
The scheme is useless, they should forget it
Re: Nysc- Of What Use? by manikki(f): 2:46pm On Aug 24, 2009
I belonged 2 d school of thought dat believes dat d scheme is a useless one. That was before i went 4 d scheme.  Now, i dont think dat way. It depends on how u put the yr 2 use. My PPA was in a hospital, but i  didnt  stay wit just dat, I managed a drycleaning firm also. The smiley job i have 2day is cos of dis little managerial exp i got. Lots of pple see d yr as 1 wit wch 2 laze about & do lots of unnecessary stuff (this is not 2 say dat there arent a few exceptions). I also got 2 know d country better, d northern culture too. For me, it was a win-win situation. cool cool
D scheme should NOT be scrapped!
Re: Nysc- Of What Use? by aieromon(m): 3:27pm On Aug 24, 2009
I will scrap it once i get into the corridors of power

(1) (Reply)

Corp Members To Receive Daily Feeding Allowance / Nysc: Compulsory, Voluntary Or Scrapped / Local Government Work & Teaching At School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.