Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

Advice On Buying A Nigerian-used Car - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Advice On Buying A Nigerian-used Car (3121 Views)

Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? / Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. / A Nigerian Used 2000 Model HONDA CRV Fabric Interior For Sale..700k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice On Buying A Nigerian-used Car by Nobody: 6:10am On May 17, 2016
Hello, thanks for looking in smiley

I am a student, and after due consideration, I have decided that I want to get a car by next month or so.

I know Tokunbos are supposed to be better in general, but I simply am not willing to put that kind of money down for something that is not a "necessity."

I like Honda cars (Nissan too, but I've heard it's a no-go area), and I've seen some very clean-looking Babyboys here on NL.

My questions are: Is it inherently bad to buy a Nigerian-used car? Are there some people who have had good experiences buying same on NL?

What will fuel consumption and maintenance possibly be like?

Please and please, don't read and close if you have any insight that could be of help. Thanks and God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Buying A Nigerian-used Car by africanboy(m): 6:25am On May 17, 2016
If you can, avoid Nigerian used for one reason "our maintenance culture is bad". Owners delay servicing because of lack of funds. Mechanics just patching vehicles as long as it just works. Our roads don't smile.

A vehicle may look all clean and shiny, but underneath...... it is a trap.

4 Likes

Re: Advice On Buying A Nigerian-used Car by saint2ace(m): 6:44am On May 17, 2016
koonbey:

I am a student, and after due consideration, I have decided that I want to get a car by next month or so.

I know Tokunbos are supposed to be better in general, but I simply am not willing to put that kind of money down for something that is not a "necessity."

I like Honda cars (Nissan too, but I've heard it's a no-go area), and I've seen some very clean-looking Babyboys here on NL.

My questions are: Is it inherently bad to buy a Nigerian-used car? Are there some people who have had good experiences buying same on NL?

Please and please, don't read and close if you have any insight that could be of help. Thanks and God bless you.

On the said subject it's a case of different strokes for different folks, they are a fewb tricks in buying a naija used car, the first is to buy from a known source preferably a friend or acquaintance; that way u have a rough idea about the car and how it has been used and also the person's personality will give a sneak preview how he treats his car.

Secondly buy a car that's cheap to maintain i.e low cost of parts, durable of engine etc. The ideology here is that if it's cheap to maintain then it wasn't a problem for the previous owner to regularly maintain the car.

Thirdly and most importantly looking for a car that leaves some change in your pocket. Look for a small engine that's fuel efficient and gives better mileage par gallon. The money u save on fuelling the car can take care of ur next maintenance routine.

Ur choice should also be guided by what you like and are comfortable with, they're pple who are Benz freaks, some love Toyota others just feel Honda rocks their world, that way u don't go blaming the poor car, if it doesn't meet ur requirements later on, just for laffs grin .

So the ball is in ur court, my 2pence...

3 Likes

Re: Advice On Buying A Nigerian-used Car by Nobody: 7:59am On May 17, 2016
saint2ace:

On the said subject it's a case of different strokes for different folks, they are a fewb tricks in buying a naija used car, the first is to buy from a known source preferably a friend or acquaintance; that way u have a rough idea about the car and how it has been used and also the person's personality will give a sneak preview how he treats his car.

Secondly buy a car that's cheap to maintain i.e low cost of parts, durable of engine etc. The ideology here is that if it's cheap to maintain then it wasn't a problem for the previous owner to regularly maintain the car.

Thirdly and most importantly looking for a car that leaves some change in your pocket. Look for a small engine that's fuel efficient and gives better mileage par gallon. The money u save on fuelling the car can take care of ur next maintenance routine.

Ur choice should also be guided by what you like and are comfortable with, they're pple who are Benz freaks, some love Toyota others just feel Honda rocks their world, that way u don't go blaming the poor car, if it doesn't meet ur requirements later on, just for laffs grin .

So the ball is in ur court, my 2pence...

Thanks a lot Sir. What do you think about that particular model; "Honda Babyboy" In terms of maintenance and fuel economy?
Re: Advice On Buying A Nigerian-used Car by Kobicove(m): 8:54am On May 17, 2016
koonbey:

Thanks a lot Sir. What do you think about that particular model; "Honda Babyboy" In terms of maintenance and fuel economy?

My previous car was a Toyota Camry 'pencil light'. Shortly after I bought it in 2009 2 of my colleagues bought Honda Accord "baby boy'. Withing the span of about 5 years those 2 colleagues did body work on their cars while mine was relatively untouched until I sold it about 3 months ago

My point is that I have noticed that the body of Honda baby boy falls to pieces quite easily unlike that of a comparable Toyota.

Then again there's the annoying problem with regards to the ball joint that usually pulls off.

I have never owned a Honda before but I understand that it's fuel economy is good...but then that's not the only issue to consider when buying a car.

2 Likes

Re: Advice On Buying A Nigerian-used Car by Synord(m): 8:38pm On Nov 16, 2016
koonbey:

koonbey the buyer !!!
Re: Advice On Buying A Nigerian-used Car by Manuella4ace: 9:03pm On Nov 16, 2016
since you're buying Nigerian used car, take ur eyes off Honda's and Nissan product. just settle for Toyota collora or Camry i4 engine.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Buying A Nigerian-used Car by Nobody: 11:59am On Nov 18, 2016
Got One already.
Re: Advice On Buying A Nigerian-used Car by jasena: 10:24am On Sep 26, 2019
i have been offered a c240 nigerian used car with the model number 2002, please i need advice because the price is just 400k i suspect that the car may be problematic. here is the car report.
Re: Advice On Buying A Nigerian-used Car by Kayharry(m): 2:15pm On Sep 15, 2020
Re: Advice On Buying A Nigerian-used Car by princecemo(m): 5:44pm On Apr 22, 2021
Automobile Inspection Service

Do you need to buy a car and you need an automobile expert to inspect before you buy?
You can call on us today
Take note that most mechanic are easily bribed to approve a faulty car more so most mechanic don’t inspect with the right tools.

We are experts in inspecting cars
Avoid making mistakes when buying a car
We can help you do the following

Check if a car is accident free
Engine diagnostics with a topnotch scanning device
Check for ABS faults
Check for SRS faults
Check for Transmission (gearbox) faults
Also advice you on a better option of cars to buy

We also give free advice on what car is suitable for u

We can help you buy both tokunbo and naija used cars

We are available anytime of the week

(1) (Reply)

No deal / Windshield Damage Solution Available with pictures of repairs. / 4 Super Combo Corrolla Deal:9Ja Used Toyota Corolla 07,03,05 And 07,1.50k to 13

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.