Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,306 members, 7,836,331 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:17 AM

Business Lessons From Beggars - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Business Lessons From Beggars (584 Views)

Lessons From Innoson Vs GTBank Case Part 2 / Johnspeak Uwangue: 4 Business Lessons I Learnt From A Physically Challenged Man / Business Lessons You Can Learn From Tiwa Savage - With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Business Lessons From Beggars by Nobody: 6:02pm On May 18, 2016
Over the years, I have always been fascinated by the attitudes of beggars. They seem to ply their trade with so much expertise, I even have to wonder if there is any school where they are tutored for this-sadly, there is none.I have come up with few lessons business owners can learn from this group of people whom society look down upon. They may be despised but yet they exhibit high professional skills a lot of us can only dream about. Here are a few business lessons to learn from beggars;
1. BEGGARS ARE EARLY RISERS
In more than a decade of observing beggars, I have never seen one just taking position early in the morning. No matter how early you are, you find out that beggars have already taken their positions. This is in sharp contrast to a lot of business owners who even at 9am are yet to open for the day. Beggars know the importance of rising early. Yoruba people who tell you "ma fi aro sereI" meaning do not joke with the morning.In Proverbs 6:4,9-11, The Bible talks about the consequences of a little sleep, a little slumber which brings poverty. Jesus said in John 9:4 "I must work the works of Him that sent me while it is day; the night cometh when no man can work". Beggars begin their day very early and retire very late in the night.
2. BEGGARS ARE ALWAYS STRATEGICALLY POSITIONED
If at all I do not know anything about beggars, this particular one is one I know very well. They always position themselves in strategic places where people would always pass through and by so doing they increase their chances of being blessed by the passerby. It's often said that your position determines your allocation, Beggars take full advantage of this and you will find them in front of Automated Teller Machines, just outside large gatherings of people either for church service, weddings, at major entrances to major buildings or any event. Business owners need to learn to locate their businesses in major locations where their services is needed and where they would have opportunities to serve a large number of people thereby increasing their own income.
3. BEGGARS ARE HUMBLE
This is one thing that endear a lot of people to beggars. This is a silent principle in business that "customers are always right" but sadly, many businesses in this part of the world have little or regard for their customers. Beggars are not like that, they have maximum regard for any would be customer. Business owners need to learn that they are only in business because of their customers and they have to treat them well and make them feel important. "There is more hunger and thirst for love and admiration than for bread"--Mother Theresa.
4.BEGGARS ARE PRAYERFUL
Have you ever noticed that the average beggar prays more for people than he prays for himself? This is because beggars believe in prayers and they also understand that the prosperity of their customers one way or the other will rub off on them also.Business owners need to understand that prayer is a tool that can make a lot of things happen and more importantly to make it happen in their favour. Prayer is a key that opens doors, makes even the most unfriendly or unwilling customer to become a loyal customer for life.
5. BEGGARS ARE PERSISTENT
I remember once passing by a beggar, I had no intention of given anybody anything out of my meager stipend that day but this beggar was persistent, even when I had gone past him, I just had to go back and do the needful. Persistence pays off in business. In Genesis 26: 15-22, Isaac dug many wells but the Philistines kept stopping them, and filled the wells with earth but Isaac was persistent until he dug one that he called Jehovah Rehoboth meaning the LORD has made room for us.Business owners need to be doggedly determined to succeed and they will if they are persistent.
6. BEGGARS DO NOT DWELL ON THEIR FAILURES
Beggars understand that the other side of the coin NO is a YES, so they do not allow a NO by one customer to affect their mood or business for the day, they quickly move on to the next customer. Business owners need not allow failure to weigh them down and make them become unproductive. They also need to understand that many businesses that are celebrated today have long history of failures but they did not give up. Entrepreneurs need to understand that "the man who never failed never tried anything new"

http://profoduo..com.ng/2016/05/business-lessons-from-beggars_12.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: Business Lessons From Beggars by Cocoyamu: 7:53pm On May 18, 2016
A very brilliant piece of writing you got here!!

I must admit each of this points listed and explained here... are valid, and very cogent.

Good work baba, more grease.....
Re: Business Lessons From Beggars by Nobody: 9:39pm On May 18, 2016
Cocoyamu:
A very brilliant piece of writing you got here!!

I must admit each of this points listed and explained here... are valid, and very cogent.

Good work baba, more grease.....

Thanks ....not my piece though.
Re: Business Lessons From Beggars by latestarter: 11:28pm On May 18, 2016
Whoever did it is great. Thanks for the post. I'll share it with others
Re: Business Lessons From Beggars by mrsage(m): 11:54pm On May 18, 2016
Brilliant

(1) (Reply)

Home Service Dry Cleaning / 550dollars Amazon Gift Card Needed / Study Abroad With Ease

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.