Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,126 members, 7,867,253 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 12:52 PM

Why Nigerians Would Not Occupy Nigeria After Subsidy Removal. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigerians Would Not Occupy Nigeria After Subsidy Removal. (270 Views)

Youths/occupy/nigeria/2016 / Why Nigerians Won't Occupy Nigeria As Fuel Subsidy Removed / Subsidy: Muslims Call On Labour To Dialogue Not Occupy Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Nigerians Would Not Occupy Nigeria After Subsidy Removal. by dam4wummy(m): 10:52am On May 19, 2016
To my own conclusion, here are some reasons why I feel Nigerians won't occupy Nigeria once again.

1. NO FOOD : The occupy Nigeria was last staged was a successful one because there was enough food to eat, compared to now that tomatoes now cost 4 for #500. Do the maths
2. NO FUEL : During the protest, the occupy Nigeria busses and cars have enough fuel to convey protesters to various strategic locations, thereby making the protest a successful one.
3. EXCHANGE RATE WAS FAIR : With the exchange rate now #345-370 to $1, one can imagine what the economy is now like unlike when it was below #170 to $1.
4. A WELL PLANNED SURPRISE : The new Government planned its subsidy removal well by hoarding it well for a very long time that would make Nigerians conclude that "At least if its available, we would buy it at any cost".
5.THE OPPOSITION HAD FIRST BEEN SILENCED : With the detaining and arrest of the main opposition's top officials (Alleged one sided fighting against corruption), there was no big body to fund the protest against the removal of the subsidy.

And besides, if the FG is still helping the marketers with an exchange rate of #285 to $1, then there is still a subsidy around the corner.
Lastly, for me, I support the removal of subsidy fully and not partially and I wish the government doesn't interfere with the price of this commodity as they don't with the price of Rice and tomatoes. I just wished they had removed this subsidy earlier, maybe we would have been enjoying the fall in crude now.

(1) (Reply)

Business Opportunity / President Buhari To Appoint New Police IG / NAF Warns Against Enlistment Scam Into The Force.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.