Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,160 members, 7,818,531 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:06 PM

Is It Advisable To Take An Insurance Cover In Nigeria? (part 1) - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Is It Advisable To Take An Insurance Cover In Nigeria? (part 1) (491 Views)

Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? / 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 2 / 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Advisable To Take An Insurance Cover In Nigeria? (part 1) by TyLegal: 3:26pm On May 19, 2016
Just recently, I received a mail from a client who had a whole lot of complaints about a particular insurance company.

This is quite disheartening as I keep trying to encourage people to get insurance policies on their vehicles, properties and even lives...

But it is not encouraging at all when these people eventually agree to get the policy and then when a claim arises, the insurance company instead comes up with various tricks to avoid ‘doing the needful.’

As I was saying, my client paid for a vehicle insurance policy where the insurance company is supposed to settle any claims that arise which is covered by the policy. And it just so happened that a claim arose, my client notified the insurance company but instead of settling the claim, they have been playing a cat-and-mouse-game to frustrate my client and not settle the claim.

Although I can confidently say that some insurance companies in Nigeria are very commendable and settle claims appropriately, there are still some that evade claims and give other insurance companies a bad name.

I have tried to contact the insurance company so that the matter can be resolved but they have not been picking their calls. I will try to get to the bottom of this and will keep you posted.

Meanwhile, do share the various experiences you have had with insurance companies. [url][/url]www.tylegal.com
Re: Is It Advisable To Take An Insurance Cover In Nigeria? (part 1) by clans(f): 3:36pm On May 19, 2016
Firstly, is the claim covered by the policy?
How up to date is the payment of premium?
Do you know if any conditions or warranties were breached,
Insurance in Nigeria is not fraudulent, allow them do their investigation and indemnify as appropriate.
Re: Is It Advisable To Take An Insurance Cover In Nigeria? (part 1) by TyLegal: 6:05pm On May 19, 2016
@clans
Yes, the claim is covered by the policy.
The premium is up to date, to expire 2017.
No conditions or warranties have been breached, just seems they want to avoid settling the claim.
There are still some some reliable insurance companies in Nigeria, but this particular one does not seem to be one of them.
Re: Is It Advisable To Take An Insurance Cover In Nigeria? (part 1) by Horus(m): 8:51pm On Mar 28, 2017
Re: Is It Advisable To Take An Insurance Cover In Nigeria? (part 1) by Ukprosper: 8:37am On Oct 15, 2020
Here is a complete list of insurance companies in Nigeria and their coverage.
Top among the list are AIICO, Leadway, AXA Mansard, Custodian and Allied, Cornerstone, etc

Complete List of Insurance Companies in Nigeria

(1) (Reply)

G.2 Properties Portharcourt / Property For Sale At Ikotun For 25 Million / Juicy Property For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.