Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,031 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

Who Are The Mokole? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Are The Mokole? (1734 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Are The Mokole? by tarano: 5:38pm On Aug 18, 2009
Language related to Yoruba, but culture to Baatonu (Bariba)
Re: Who Are The Mokole? by IFELEKE(m): 5:50pm On Aug 18, 2009
shed more light.
Re: Who Are The Mokole? by mamagee6(f): 6:32pm On Aug 18, 2009
I don't get your question.
Re: Who Are The Mokole? by tarano: 7:53pm On Aug 18, 2009
Well The Mokole in Northern Benin are normally found in and around the town of Kandi,

There language is closely related to Yoruba I mean close, Very little is known about them some suggest they are reminants of oyo ile that left with the Alafin into exile in Bariba land during the first collapse of Oyo by the Nupe,

http://www.joshuaproject.net/peopctry.php?rog3=BN&rop3=106764
http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=mkl
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kandi
Re: Who Are The Mokole? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Aug 18, 2009
alright!

Are you a kandi?
Re: Who Are The Mokole? by tarano: 8:49pm On Aug 18, 2009
No I'm not from kandi, I met a friend that was from Kandi and has mixed heritage, Mokole/Bariba, It's just interesting that Mokole villages are the farthest of the the group of Yoruba languages, it's about 280 km north of the Sabe communities, in Benin’s Borgou province.
Re: Who Are The Mokole? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Aug 18, 2009
tarano:

No I'm not from kandi, I met a friend that was from Kandi and has mixed heritage, Mokole/Bariba, It's just interesting that Mokole villages are the farthest of the the group of Yoruba languages, it's about 280 km north of the Sabe communities, in Benin’s Borgou province.

its quite possible they could be Yoruba, though I doubt it. But I dont know much about them anyway. They may be related to Yoruba in some way, much like the Fon and Ewe. I could still be wrong however.

However, that region they're native to, borders northern kwara and Niger states in Nigeria.And the Nupe tribe (I think). Maybe people from there have heard of them. And are you sure they arent Nupe?
Re: Who Are The Mokole? by tarano: 8:56pm On Aug 18, 2009
1,147,000 speakers for all listed Ede varieties (69,000 Cabe, 63,000 Ica, 100,000 Idaca, 80,000 Ifè, 50,000 Ije, 65,000 Mokole, 200,000 Nago, 25,000 Nago Kura, 30,000 Nago Manigri-Kambolé, and 465,000 Yoruba).
Re: Who Are The Mokole? by tarano: 9:01pm On Aug 18, 2009
There are very isolate but are culturally more similar to Bariba, they are closer to the eastern part of Niger state, I am really facinated about this and i think more research should be done into ede language clusters in Benin republic, Dassa is a town similar to abeokuta in its foundation, still very little is known about them, Colonization has really blinded a lot of people, The artificial lines created by the british/french has hindered cultural knowledge,
Re: Who Are The Mokole? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Aug 18, 2009
tarano:

There are very isolate but are culturally more similar to Bariba, they are closer to the eastern part of Niger state, I am really facinated about this and i think more research should be done into ede language clusters in Benin republic, Dassa is a town similar to abeokuta in its foundation, still very little is known about them, Colonization has really blinded a lot of people, The artificial lines created by the british/french has hindered cultural knowledge,

there are two Dassas, according to wiki.

Do you mean the one in Burkina Faso or the other one in Benin Republic.

true, the British/French presence created some new borders. The divisions were based on slave trade routes, to some extent.

Likewise in the north, many peoples were forced to relocate and move south due to inter-tribal and religious warfare.
Re: Who Are The Mokole? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Aug 19, 2009

(1) (Reply)

Quality Branded/customized T-shirts And Indian Wears / Strange And Fascinating Courtship Traditions Around The World / Need A Wife? Go To Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.