Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,793 members, 7,810,065 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:52 PM

Drennan Takes Break From Football To Deal With Depression - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Drennan Takes Break From Football To Deal With Depression (614 Views)

Carl Ikeme Announces His Retirement From Football / Samir Nasri Banned From Football Over Intravenous Drip Treatment / Daily Fantasy Football To Win Cash Prizes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Drennan Takes Break From Football To Deal With Depression by mattonnairaland: 9:13am On May 20, 2016
The Shamrock Rovers forward, who came through tThe Shamrock Rovers forward, who came through the ranks at Aston Villa, has decided to take a step back from his playing career in order to get his life 'back on track'
Former Aston Villa youth striker Michael Drennan has announced that he is taking a break from football to deal with depression.

The 22-year-old has played eight games in the League of Ireland Premier Division with Shamrock Rovers this season, but has decided to put his career on hold to get his life 'back on track'.

Drennan revealed his decision in a lengthy Facebook post, where he thanked his fellow players and supporters for their support.

"I want to put this on Facebook to let people know what's going on and will be in the papers soon,” the Kilkenny native said.

"I'm taking time out of football because I'm not happy and I've been suffering with depression for the last 3 years and I thought I would have dealt with it better then but it's come to a point now where I need to leave and take a break.

"I just want to be happy because life is way too short, I need to be around people I love and get a job. I needed something to change and this is a very tough decision and one that I've put my whole life into and hoped to be successful in but it's not one I've made over 2 weeks.

READ MORE | Done deal? Xhaka 'flying to London'

"This has been on my mind a lot over the past few years but I said I would stick it out..it can't get any worse but it did and I haven't spoke to people about it as much as I should and I wanted to deal with it myself but it was the wrong decision.

"People will always look at me different saying, 'I'm a failure' and all that crap but it's the reason why I came home in the first place to play soccer here to see would it make me better which obviously it didn't.

"I just wanna come back and get the help I need to get back on track and would like to go back playing in League of Ireland at some stage if the chance came up.

"I want to thank everyone who has given their best to support me and make this difficult decision."
Re: Drennan Takes Break From Football To Deal With Depression by mattonnairaland: 9:37pm On Feb 28, 2019
Re: Drennan Takes Break From Football To Deal With Depression by Lorax(f): 7:44pm On Jul 08, 2019
mattonnairaland:
Sis. Dominique pls unban this username - BBNaija2019
Thank you so much
Hey

(1) (Reply)

Chelsea Hero Slams Mourinho For Manchester United Move / Manchester United Boss, Jose Mourinho Joins Instagram / Breaking News: Ahmadu Shuhaibu Is Dead RIP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.