Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,125 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:48 AM

Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. (9343 Views)

Nairaland Fantasy Premier League 2013/2014 / The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria / Chelsea In Pursuit Of Premier League Championship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by Nobody: 1:41pm On Aug 19, 2009
HiTV has banned unauthorized public screening of Barclay's Premier League matches, UEFA champions league & other sports content owned by HiTV at viewing centres, restaurants, clubs, bars, hotels & other public places is an act of piracy & a criminal offence unless you subscribe for the new commercial bouquet which gives you the right to screen these sports content legally,

DSTV was not hard like this when they were showing this sport,why is HiTV making things hard on Nigerians?.
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by tkb417(m): 2:13pm On Aug 19, 2009
DSTVs pricing was a bit prohibitive and wasnt as cheap as hITVs

what they are askin you to do is pay more to show it to ur guys
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by Nobody: 2:23pm On Aug 19, 2009
tkb417:

Supported. I think they should think about introducing dual view decoders as yesterday was a near nightmare for centres with only one decoder who had to choose to air either the Arsenal or the Chelsea game.
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by Seun(m): 2:42pm On Aug 19, 2009
Source?
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 19, 2009
Seun:

Source?

Good question. . .I heard the story but never bothered to confirm
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by Phony200(m): 2:48pm On Aug 19, 2009
Tkb
That and also because people like me refused to pay the new tariff. Annoying part is I still can't bear going to a viewing centre so I'll pay next month.
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by HNIC(m): 2:54pm On Aug 19, 2009
@Poster
Just wondering!
how will they enforce this ban
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by myspace(m): 2:57pm On Aug 19, 2009
DSTV had the EPL rights for years but we never heard this nonsense. I wish DSTV will just win the rights again and put these clowns where the belong.
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by Phony200(m): 2:57pm On Aug 19, 2009
As for source, it's in the Guardian. Commercial viewing centres will pay 20k per month while hotels pay 1200 per room. Wow. A friend of mine owns a viewing centre. I doubt they can cope with that. I see this as kinda outrageous.
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by kayality: 3:02pm On Aug 19, 2009
DONT COMPARE HITV WITH DSTV .

DSTV IS TOO EXPENSES LIKE FIVE TO SIX YEAR BACK,BUT NOW ALL OTHERS CHANNELS HAS BREAK DSTV MARKET INCLUDING HITV,ALJEEZERAL,ART,AND SHOW SPORT.LET HITV DO WHAT HE WHAT OK
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by eldee(m): 3:02pm On Aug 19, 2009
HNIC:

@Poster
Just wonderinghow will they enforce this ban
They just need to send policemen to about 20 popular viewing centres this Saturday.
It's the Nigerian way.

myspace:

DSTV has the EPL rights for years but we never heard this nonsense. I wish DSTV will just win the rights again and put these clowns where the belong.
It's the same everywhere . . . in the UK, I was surprised to learn that even Fitness gyms had to pay to show EPL matches
They don't get these rights for free you know?? Why should one man sit there and just make money off them??
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by tkb417(m): 3:05pm On Aug 19, 2009
Seun:

Source?
i saw it in the dailies myself yesterday
i think its all over the dailies cos i saw it

i even read they will start enforcing the closure of centers who wouldnt comply to the migration plans

HNIC
they will start picketing
any center that migrates will get a signage tht shows authorized viewing center

Phony
go and pay asap
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by walata44(m): 3:06pm On Aug 19, 2009
Dstv was not hard like this when they were showing this sport,why is hitv making things hard on nigerians

Nigerian loves freebies, I can't blame them even the Governor of each state queue up in Abuja monthly to collect allocations. Just pay up or u F off, it is people like you that complain most about lack of infrastructure. If you want good things you need to pay.
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by DisGuy: 3:06pm On Aug 19, 2009
Phony200:

As for source, it's in the Guardian. Commercial viewing centres will pay 20k per month while hotels pay 1200 per room. Wow. A friend of mine owns a viewing centre. I doubt they can cope with that. I see this as kinda outrageous.

I heard viewing centres are quite profitable, so paying 20k a month should be part of the business knowing you can recoup that after one small game. Pubs in the UK and outdoor centres pay different rate to homes and businesses. Just blocking leakages really and it make sense wink
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by UNLEASHED(m): 3:09pm On Aug 19, 2009
It will never work!
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by chic2pimp(m): 3:10pm On Aug 19, 2009
Dis Guy:

I heard viewing centres are quite profitable, so paying 20k a month should be part of the business knowing you can recoup that after one small game. Pubs in the UK and outdoor centres pay different rate to homes and businesses. Just blocking leakages really and it make sense wink
GBAM cool cool cool
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by myspace(m): 3:11pm On Aug 19, 2009
The next round of bidding for the EPL is in a few months. I hope DSTV will win it this time. I have HITV and I do not go to viewing centers but it is obvious that this draconian measure will put many VC operators out of business.
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by DisGuy: 3:13pm On Aug 19, 2009
UNLEASHED:

It will never work!

Dem go call Fashola and the Tax people After you, you go hear weeehn!
In fact they will be made to start showing their tax certificates
Remember Anti-piracy drive is now on, so if tehy demolish you place no complain o!
You better better standard of living you better start paying for it  wink
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by DisGuy: 3:14pm On Aug 19, 2009
myspace:

The next round of bidding for the EPL is in a few months. I hope DSTV will win it this time. I have HITV and I do not go to viewing centers but it is obvious that this draconian measure will put many VC operators out of business.

But is 20k that much for VC? why are businessmen so greedy?

All you have to do is start selling membership tickets- like season tickets wink
and Introduce Executive Couch-Fine Kangaroo leather, Reclinable seats, Complimentary Prawn sandwich
Infact hire a masseuse for you viewing centre, you will never go out of business grin
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by eldee(m): 3:16pm On Aug 19, 2009
Dis Guy:

I wonder!!!
These people make more than that every week.
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by Nobody: 3:19pm On Aug 19, 2009
Dis Guy:

I wonder oh!
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by remoranger(m): 3:23pm On Aug 19, 2009
Trust Nigerians to always take a good thing then act wickedly and stupidly. angry
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by chic2pimp(m): 3:23pm On Aug 19, 2009
myspace:

To the majority of nigerians satellite t.v is a luxury item and many can barely afford hitv. This means dstv would be out of their price range.
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by chic2pimp(m): 3:28pm On Aug 19, 2009
Dis Guy:

All you have to do is start selling membership tickets- like season tickets wink
and Introduce Executive Couch-Fine Kangaroo leather, Reclinable seats, Complimentary Prawn sandwich
Infact hire a masseuse for you viewing centre, you will never go out of business
grin
grin grin grin grin grin wot a great business idea. They can also sell softdrinks and biscuits @ a slightly more expensive price but would have barn viewers from bringing food items into the center.
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by naso2(m): 3:32pm On Aug 19, 2009
tkb417:

expensive abi na cheap abi na prohibitive?

My guy lets talk content please. I am a football fan but find it absurd to pay 6k for HITV which is just football and almost nothing else.

I was part of those that were annoyed with the pricing of DSTV but now that we have HITV , I do not think DSTV is expensve when you consider the number of channels and overall content. Then we thought these SA guys were ripping us off , but the one wey our niger  guys (HITV) dey do na im bad pass.

The truth is if HITV can so upgrade its content that one can completely dump DSTV , then its okay. But as is I do not see why I will dump DSTV for HITV . Na only football person go dey watch?

At a time like this when uncertainty looms in the the country's finances I will be stupid to be paying 15k per month for pay tv ALONE.

Let them just revert to 4k then we can talk. truely nigerian ko,truely nigerian ni
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by DisGuy: 3:37pm On Aug 19, 2009
na_so:

My guy lets talk content please. I am a football fan but find it absurd to pay 6k for HITV which is just football and almost nothing else.

I was part of those that were annoyed with the pricing of DSTV but now that we have HITV , I do not think DSTV is expensve when you consider the number of channels and overall content. Then we thought these SA guys were ripping us off , but the one wey our niger guys (HITV) dey do na im bad pass.

The truth is if HITV can so upgrade its content that one can completely dump DSTV , then its okay. But as is I do not see why I will dump DSTV for HITV . Na only football person go dey watch?

At a time like this when uncertainty looms in the the country's finances I will be stupid to be paying 15k per month for pay tv ALONE.

Let them just revert to 4k then we can talk. truely nigerian ko,truely nigerian ni

Maybe if commercial centres start paying for the right, they just might. . . .

apologise to vc owners, i have absolutely no idea,how these biz are just pulling legs o!
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by soloqy: 3:43pm On Aug 19, 2009
chic2pimp:

To the majority of nigerians satellite t.v is a luxury item and many can barely afford hitv. This means dstv would be out of their price range.

Is Hitv now affordable to the majority of Nigerians at 6k per month subscription? With nothing eles to show apart from football?

You have a dstv compact package which is 4,500 with much more content than hitv has only without EPL.

You guys havenet asked why hitv are talking about this crack down all of a sudden. Why didnt they do it last year when the going was good?

Its just because so many of us have refused to pay 6k per month to watch only football and instead have opted to go for richer content on DSTV.

They called up a number of us to find out why we are not subscribing and what we intend doing.
On hearing that most of us would rather go watch at a sportsbar or viewing center, they now decided to impose high  fees on them.

Is it better for them to charge those viewing centers 20k or for them to do what is reasonable and revert to the old fees to get back all their customers and many more customers too?

HITV are about to fail big time. I for one will not subscribe to hitv again even if all the viewing centers are closed down. I will enjoy all the content on dstb till next year when they yank the nonsense off the hi thieves hands
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by tayoTFC(m): 3:44pm On Aug 19, 2009
u better go and pay, do u know how much this guys paid /borrow from GT and other bank to  bring u all this sport cheap and affordable ? now bank are on there neck to pay back. so they need to source form money so that there loan will not turn to non-perfoming loan ( see what happen to other bank debtors now)
GUYS, to be sincere we can not compare DSTV with HiTV, HITV is better and affordable, aftrall  Hitv is own by nigerian, DSTV(multichoice) migrate from South Africa and taking our money back to SA to build there ecomony, pls, let support hitv, i have 2 viewing  center in the same street Odunsi Bariga . control by my brothers , i will go and pay now cos i know i will break even now and make profit as soon as the Champion leadge commence proper,,,guys  the earlier the better cos i dont want to go off air, up chelsea
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by Nobody: 3:50pm On Aug 19, 2009
HItv has the sole rights?
How come CTL shows live EPL and UCL matches?
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by soloqy: 3:51pm On Aug 19, 2009
tayotfc,

6k per month for only football is not cheap and affordable . Get it
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by Emperoh(m): 3:54pm On Aug 19, 2009
BlueDiva:

HItv has the sole rights?
How come CTL shows live EPL and UCL matches?

They musta had an agreement with HITV else they woulda been closed down.

Guys
For the COmmerical Bouquet, Restaurants, Bars, Viewing Centres, Clubs and Parks = N20000 per month
For Hotels = N1200/room/month!!!

I doubt if they can enforce this though!! Country wide!
Re: Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. by tkb417(m): 4:03pm On Aug 19, 2009

I was part of those that were annoyed with the pricing of DSTV but now that we have HITV , I do not think DSTV is expensve when you consider the number of channels and overall content. Then we thought these SA guys were ripping us off , but the one wey our niger guys (HITV) dey do na im bad pass.

whats ur point?
they are charging 6k?
if i only get football for 6k, ill be so so glad
The football content has been increased to include the other competitions

No one has banned DSTV, if u want other programmes, pls, get a DSTV smartcard!!
Very simple

If 6k is too much and ure clamouring for DSTV that charged x3 of what they are charging now, then what are you saying?

The point is, if you want total football without the other ingredients DSTV can offer, then go for Hitv
if u want any other thing apart from footie, get DSTV.
If you want all, get both providers!!!

9ja people!

Emperoh
leave enforcement to the law enforcers!
Policemen would just turn their attention to these viewing centers and start milking dem of their daily proceeds
he who has ears, listen now and pay what ure asked to pay
they didnt get those rights for free

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Manchester City Vs Shakhtar Donetsk: UCL (1 - 1) On 26th November 2019 / EPL: Chelsea Vs Burnley Preview....Drop Your Views And Predictions…!!! / ESL: Tottenham Hotspur Commence Procedures To Withdraw

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.