Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? (10098 Views)

Campus Politics: How To Win An Election In Campus Without Spending Much Money / Campus Politics: Between Serving, Fight For Rights And Self-enrichment / The New OAU Students' Union Bus Bought At N3m. Hit or Miss? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by EduRegard: 6:23pm On May 23, 2016
Many, I expect, at the sight or sound of the term “campus politics” would either have the cold shivers or would give a sigh, thus declaring their innermost fear of being a part of anything affiliated to the word. Well, my dear readers, if this are, or continue to be our reaction to campus politics, then it will only be apt to begin by enlightening ourselves on its significance and meaning in order for us not to run no more in a campus politics of probability, because we must learn to understand that it is a ‘force’ that will continue to play its role in shaping our future, profession, life etc. whether we will it or otherwise.

Politics is described as the authoritative allocation of values for the society, according to the Canadian Professor of Political Science, David Easton. By this, he meant that politics encompasses the various processes through which government or School authority responds to pressure from larger society, in particular by allocating benefits, rewards or penalties. Also, Haroldz Dwight Lasswell, a scholar defined politics as simply “who get what, when and how”, this
implies that the nature of politics is about the distribution of power in a society.

Thus, if I am aloof about politics- the very activity through which my students Association, school can respond to my needs and pressure, then I cannot complain when the Association does not meet this need or hearken to my pressure. If I detach myself from politics then I am throwing away my powers to decide how benefits, rewards and
penalties which are not far-fetched are allocated.

More interestingly, let us look at the causes of this disinterest in politics with a view to helping ourselves out of their strong grip of hit or miss orientation. The popular term for this indifference and insensitivity to politics on and off campuses is known as “political Apathy”, it is the absence or suppression of passion, emotion in politics or its activities. On our campuses nowadays, this trend has become so imminent amidst the student, in which the ratio of it to the political enthusiasts is relatively low and not encouraging.

Having diagnosed the problem, the next thing to look at is what I called “pathogenesis of campus politics hit or miss?” knowing fully well that we are in an academic environment where our priority is to study or excel in our various fields. Albert Einstein said, “Politics is for the present, but equation is for eternity”, true as this may sound, but do not forget that our present determines more for our future talk more of eternity.

Truly, we may see politics as rough, filthy, not for the gentleman or lady or as a hit or miss basis. But really, it is viewed so because our own apathy has let the bad eggs dominate politics and let them take decision which affects our lives.” Politics is not a game but an earnest business” as Winston Churchill says, and then our business is to be conscious politically and act well in campus politics.

Ellie Wiesel said, “there may be time we are powerless to prevent injustice but there must never be a time we fail to protest.” We must also remember that “whenever a man cast a longing eye on offices, rottenness begins in his conduct”, therefore, the eyes should never be on the office but on the work in the office and the people who own and
gave you the office.

In conclusion, with these said, I encourage you readers, take that decision to be part of the campus politics enthusiast and movement by being conscious. Remember, indecision is a decision in itself. Be conscious and make the conscious choice that politics should never be treated or seen as a hit or miss affair, rather as a necessity and optimal!!!!

What do you think

SOURCE : http://eduregard.com.ng/campus-politics-hit-miss/

3 Likes

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by EduRegard: 6:24pm On May 23, 2016
[size=14pt]Kindly drop your views below...

http://eduregard.com/campus-politics-hit-miss/[/size]
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by darlingtonNYIG(m): 6:32pm On May 23, 2016
It is a hit for me. I participated in it from my 1st year in school till I left school. It is only those that don't understand how important social participation defines a man's life will condemn it. Many will tell you it doesn't help your G.P but I am totally against such thinking; I was the SUG Publicity Officer (PRO) in the University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) in 2009/2010 but still graduated with a 2nd class upper degree (2.1) from the department of English. More also, my life and job today still revolves around the media and politics. Hence for me, school politics is a HIT

24 Likes

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by Nobody: 6:54pm On May 23, 2016
Big Miss, most of the campus politicians in SUG are only interested in enriching their pockets, they never stand up for the students' welfare except there is something in it for them. At least that was the case in my alma mater

5 Likes

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by xender(m): 6:56pm On May 23, 2016
U have said its optimal
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by CaptainEColeJnr: 10:40pm On May 23, 2016
it's a big distraction

2 Likes

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by Nobody: 6:36am On May 24, 2016
shocked
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by adorablepepple(f): 6:36am On May 24, 2016
[b] I would say it's a hit and miss depending on the situation you find yourself, its a hit because those days when I was doing my diploma,I participated and I had my candidates who I believed would make positive changes, it was challenging tough and funfilled. One thing is no experience is wasted, there were several meetings on how to conduct our campaign, how to manage funds,What to say in the manifesto and some point I had to bring up the idea of interviewing students so they can air their view and say those things that they are lacking. Before that time I was a very shy person but with my participation I became very bold
However,it's a miss when school politics generates into a state politics when a particular faction begin to kill or harm it's opponents. That's Why I advice that once it gets too heated you withdraw and hope for the best,because these days campus politics is no child's play,many have supporters outside the students ,even outside the school sef,when a v.c is supporting one opponent you know there is a problem. [/b]

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by Olusharp(m): 6:37am On May 24, 2016
....OP just dey write oyinbo version of campus politics...go to some schools and you will never go near campus politics,it is usually a do or die affairs,they begin to pursue one another with cutlass and other weapons and you start wondering "is there more to it?"

3 Likes

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by Lordmykel(m): 6:38am On May 24, 2016
Its a big "Miss" i'm not a fan of it. Mostly, successfully elected candidates are members of fratenities, they only got there with the help of a university staff(lecturer etc.) who is also the fratenity member

4 Likes

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by mysticgal(f): 6:39am On May 24, 2016
Me thinks hit:they politicians make a lotta money even more than councillors of villages sef grin

1 Like

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by Nobody: 6:40am On May 24, 2016
Every political participation on campus was a hit back to back from Hall Executive Council(HEC) to Students' Representative Council (SRC) to Central Executive Council (CEC).

1 Like

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by nicerichard05: 6:40am On May 24, 2016
And Who brought dis to FP dis mrn?

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by tobyemmanuel(m): 6:41am On May 24, 2016
Booked
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by Chidimercy: 6:42am On May 24, 2016
hit
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by laprince(m): 6:43am On May 24, 2016
strong hit!!!

I was secretary to my department and later an Hon. Jst. in the S.U.G. Judicial council.

Mind you, I still graduated top 10 Elect Elect.

school politics is very tasking, fulfilling and refreshing.

wins18:
I heard that b4 u contest, u must belong, how true is this?

Its very true they will come to you. Especially for positions that are above departmental levels, and, or when one of theirs is also contesting for same position.

For me, if you feel deeply threatened and uncomfortable, simply step down. Mine was not in that dimension though.

If the threat is too much, report to servicom in school. That's very obtainable in my school.

its not always to make you join them. It's mainly buying them drinks and creating a relationship with you. They use this to gain access to you, especially when they know your chance of winning is very high.

Even some comrados in kegites came to me and said I must buy palmwine for them. I did.

It actually made me to know them, but not to join them.

If you know the stress SOME go through being cultist, you won't even think about it.

3 Likes

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by bunmat007: 6:44am On May 24, 2016
For me it is a HIT cos i participated and it really helped me, through unionism i was able to dine and wine with people in political high exchelon, went to places and met people... I served my department and it was a great delight...... For me it is HIT, HIT and HIT..

3 Likes

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by wins18(m): 6:46am On May 24, 2016
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by tobex23(m): 6:47am On May 24, 2016
I dey come
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by FagsamPHP(m): 6:48am On May 24, 2016
k
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by JOOHEL: 6:49am On May 24, 2016
its a miss.. they breed cultist in most campus politics...
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by Copershun: 6:53am On May 24, 2016
Unn sug was still on suspension that year...so how come?
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by AfricanCity: 6:57am On May 24, 2016
If I hit or miss it how does it help the fuel price? embarassed

1 Like

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by MzMaerykay(f): 7:00am On May 24, 2016
Here in LAUTECH,its a Big HIT if you play your cards well...Tho,the worst place you could find yourself in life is the venue of an house sitting....Rowdy,devious and fetish but all the same it has been quite revealing.....#Proud LIBERALIST

3 Likes

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:01am On May 24, 2016
derespect:
Every political participation on campus was a hit back to back from Hall Executive Council(HEC) to Students' Representative Council (SRC) to Central Executive Council (CEC).
OAU, Ile-Ife?
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by PAnaceA7(m): 7:02am On May 24, 2016
wins18:

Big lie...... But u would know them because they'll come to you but no pressure on you joining them.

Though they can be a huge bone to contend with wen their friend/member is interested in the same post.
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by AmbodOfLASU: 7:06am On May 24, 2016
Campus politics is meant for learning and experience. If you are into Campus Politics and you are there for money,power or fame, then you've missed it. Am a campus politician but am into it to learn human relations, their tendency to betray each other and lust for money. Holding a political post on campus is a plus to the CV too. Taking part in campus politics will also widen your network of friends.

1 Like

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by Nobody: 7:08am On May 24, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:
OAU, Ile-Ife?
Yes oo

1 Like

Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by KINGinVAHALA: 7:10am On May 24, 2016
I hit
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by Jarus(m): 7:10am On May 24, 2016
I prefer departmental politics.
Re: Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? by wins18(m): 7:12am On May 24, 2016
PAnaceA7:

Big lie...... But u would know them because they'll come to you but no pressure on you joining them.

Though they can be a huge bone to contend with wen their friend/member is interested in the same post.
Lol, that was some people's fear, why they usain bolt at any mention of school politics

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Abu Post-ume Results! / Nnpc/chevron Jv Scholarship Results Out! Urgent Urgent Urgent / University Of Sunderland Honours Isaac Adewole, UI VC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.