Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,038 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop (47074 Views)

Help! My Laptop is now forever displaying "Hibernating" / Hibernating Or Logging Out: Which Is Preferable? / Does Hibernating A Laptop Diminish Overall Battery Life Over Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by ofokasibe: 8:07am On Aug 24, 2009
I HAVE BOUGHT 2 LAPTOPS NOW., THE FIRST ONE GOT SPOILT FOR TOO MUCH HIBERNATING , THE SECOND ONE HAS ITS HARD DISK AND MOTHERBOARD CRASHED AND ITS BATTERY WEAKENED QUICKLY AFTER TOO MUCH HIBERNATING , HAVE U NOTICED HOW U COMPUTER SLOWS DOWN WHEN U ON IT AFTER HIBERNATING,,,IT DOESNT RUN FAST AND IS SLOW IN DOWNLOADING , BUT IF U RESTART AND SHUT DOWN THE REVERSE IS THE CASE,, I HAVE BEEN A VICTIM DONT ENTER THE SAME PROBLEMS, ALWAYS SHUT DOWN , EXCEPT UR IN A HURRY TO CLOSE FROM WORK, OR QUICKLY GO OUT , AVOID HIBERNATION AND STANDBY, THEY ARE FOR UNAVOIDABLE EMERGENCIES. DONT GET INTO THE SAME ISSUES I GOT , LET ALL NAIRALANDERS USE MINE AS UR OWN EXPERIENCE , I AM USING THE 3RD LAPTOP NOW CUZZ I CANT DO WITHOUT IT

OFOKA SIGNING OUT.
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by mayrho(m): 9:30am On Aug 24, 2009
Mehn had issues with hibernating and it ended up frying my laptop board
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by Nobody: 10:13am On Aug 24, 2009
hansibone:

@oyb

u can actualy increase your allocation for the[b] hibernation page file[/b], as for windows update, it does not take that much, but it doesnt and it is worth the sacrifice,

hibernating is good, but disable it to use the space occupied by the hibernation page file,

you are mixing hibernation with virtual memory pagefile.sys

hansibone:

@oyb

as for windows update, it does not take that much, but it doesnt and it is worth the sacrifice, hibernating is good, but disable it to use the space occupied by the hibernation page file,

in windows xp sp1, on laptops with more than 1gb of ram, hibernation will not execute. i experienced this after i upgraded my old laptop from 512mb to 1.5gb.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909095

You use a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2), Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, or Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. When you try to put the computer in hibernation, the computer occasionally does not hibernate. When this problem occurs, you receive an error message that is similar to the following:Insufficient System Resources Exist to Complete the API.
Insufficient System Resources Exist to Complete the API.
When you experience this problem, the hibernate feature is not available on the computer until you restart the computer.

This problem typically occurs when the computer uses 1 gigabyte (GB) or more of RAM.

Note The Windows XP SP2 features and components are included in Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 and in Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by Nezan(m): 11:03am On Aug 24, 2009
nice thread
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by kok(m): 2:24pm On Aug 24, 2009
essential info, thanks all!
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by manny4life(m): 3:04pm On Aug 24, 2009
I'm so surprised at people who have experienced from blowing up their computer to frying it, WOW all in the name of hibernation. Let me ask how much did you get this computer and what brand is this? I have used my laptop past 15 months and have performed hibernation like 4x a day, yet I've not experienced all of this in fact, it performs a lot faster. For the record I perform a shutdown and restart sequence once every week to perform all software updates.
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by chiogo(f): 3:13pm On Aug 24, 2009
Na wa, I don't even know what to believe.

Well, I use the 'hibernate' feature mostly at night before going to bed. I use the 'sleep' feature during the day when I know I'll still use the laptop.

Maybe y'all are right about the slowing down part, although I'm not sure. But I don't think hibernating takes up any space, it's technically the same as shut down except it saves your session. undecided
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by manny4life(m): 3:20pm On Aug 24, 2009
chiogo:

Well, I use the 'hibernate' feature mostly at night before going to bed. I use the 'sleep' feature during the day when I know I'll still use the laptop.

Maybe y'all are right about the slowing down part, although I'm not sure. But I don't think hibernating takes up any space, it's technically the same as shut down except it saves your session. undecided

Exactly that is what hibernation is and it does not slow you computer. I have not experienced it slowing my computer, in fact its a lot faster in resuming my session.
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by Nobody: 3:38pm On Aug 24, 2009
chiogo:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=profile;u=287340;sa=statPanel

there are the stats of the guy who claims to have gone thru three laptops - this might be his first post here. just a noise maker, imho.
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by chiogo(f): 3:49pm On Aug 24, 2009
manny4life:

Exactly that is what hibernation is and it does not slow you computer. I have not experienced it slowing my computer, in fact its a lot faster in resuming my session.
That's what I thought. Well, I've only had my laptop for 2 weeks and some days now so I haven't really noticed any problems with the 'hibernate' feature. So, I wouldn't know. but the posts here are confusing.

oyb:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=profile;u=287340;sa=statPanel

there are the stats of the guy who claims to have gone thru three laptops - this might be his first post here. just a noise maker, imho.
Haha, Ofokasibe is the NL resident retard. He's the same as Bolajibaok, chasisgirl, edosioo, flowshow, and many other ids. Nobody takes him seriously. lipsrsealed smiley
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by ochukoccna: 4:32pm On Aug 24, 2009
chiogo:

That's what I thought. Well, I've only had my laptop for 2 weeks and some days now so I haven't really noticed any problems with the 'hibernate' feature. So, I wouldn't know. but the posts here are confusing.

Haha, Ofokasibe is the NL resident retard. He's the same as Bolajibaok, chasisgirl, edosioo, flowshow, and many other ids. Nobody takes him seriously.   lipsrsealed smiley

@ all-----I wonder if most posters think those who read their thread threads are retards,probably because of the lack of education -even in 9ja's universities- youths receive today . Think about it for a second, do you think Microsoft or any other well brand name would push out inferior products or products that don't give their supposed value to the end user? Ever heard of lawsuits? Most products pushed out by 'Oyinbo' while it's to make money, it's also to simplify their daily tasks. Vista came out,people -consumers- thrashed it and out is coming -has come for some- Windows 7 because of something called consumer feedback. Do you think if hibernation was 'evil', wouldn't Microsoft have removed it off their product line? Even Linux supports hibernation. Need I say more?

@ chigo-----U seem to have been around 4 long to note this fact on Ofakasibe. Either that or you are a good lawyer, accountant, policewoman, fashion designer etc seeing these professions need people who pay attention to details. Good though.
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by manny4life(m): 9:21pm On Aug 24, 2009
Infoseye:

@poster it shortens the life span of your laptop battery

In my own experience, that is incorrect. Just like chiogo said earlier, hibernation saves an image of your desktop with all open files and documents, and then it powers down your computer. When you turn on power, your files and documents are open on your desktop exactly as you left them. This sequence has nothing to do with your battery life span. It would be more accurate if you said it shortens its life span if you constantly charge or overly charge the battery. Also, when your laptop is not ventilating properly, when laptop is not receiving enough cooling air, that reduces life span. In addition, when you have more programs especially those that require huge power, then it will reduce life span.
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by otegawo: 8:22am On Aug 28, 2009
I will always put my laptop to sleep as this is the only way I can meet up where I stopped without having to wait for all that booting sequence. I have not had any experience with Hybernation or hybercountry
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by ksyworld: 10:43am On Aug 28, 2009
it's okay to engage hibernate mode. it doesnt affect your battery adversely like stand-by mode because stand-by mode uses some power, where hibernate mode smartly switches off the power after saving your system settings. this conserves your battery strength since it wont have to use up power booting-up again.

Additionally here are some tips to enhance your laptop battery life!

• Keep your laptop display at a brightness level that is low, for brighter the display poorer is the battery life.
• Keep your laptop’s hard drive defragmented to allow your laptop’s hard drive to use them more efficiently by reorganising all the stored files.
• Running one program at a time considerably relieves your laptop battery of extra pressure.
• Maintain your laptop battery unexposed to excess sunlight as well as extreme temperatures.
• Instead of running the disc drive of your laptop, save the relevant data to the hard drive of your laptop to run it from there.

Taken these steps and your laptop’s battery life is more likely to last longer.

Also there is a software that save power by turning off your laptop display. when installed, all you need to activate it is just 2 or 3 key combinations, and to deactivate it you tap any key or your touch pad!

if your interested hola me! 07032745334
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by kingsolve(m): 1:51pm On Aug 28, 2009
I think it zaps battery
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by mawoleye: 6:54am On Feb 21, 2013
My personnal experience with hibernating has been terrible. I have read the comments on this subject but I have a different opinion. Hibernating can stop your system,, laptops to be specific, from booting.. I have attempted to remove the battery and have connected it back to source yet it didn't. This happened to me about six months ago on an Hp laptop, but the problem was resolved in computer village,. While I tot that incident was a coincidence, I continued with the attitude of hibernating since I always run high end computer with a minimum of 3gb ram and leaving over 60% of free hard disk space. Little did I know when I hibernated another acer laptop today only to get back to work and found it not booting again. All effort proved abortive. My concern here is to bring to your knowledge that hibernating a computer can have adverse effect on it, other than the issue of running down battery or eating up memory space. My second reason why am here is that in case I have somebody who have witnessed similar scenario and will like to guide me about the possibility of reviving the system back to life, i will be gladmto welcome that as I don't want to travell about 250kms in an attempt to fix the problem. Thank you_ Michael Awoleye.
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by maximale: 1:37am On Feb 25, 2013
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by chux76(m): 3:00pm On Feb 25, 2013
You know when people talk about HIBERNATION in Laptops causing damage to their systems,I wonder what kind of Laptops it is they use and the state of the Laptop before usage. Personally since I started using a Laptop and discovered that magic function "hibernate" its been the MOST USED function on all my laptops.From 2002-till date I have used over 6 laptops and I can thonk my chest and say proudly that I have always put them in hibernate mode whenever I need to step put in a hurry or whenever I need to leave my system for a while and it has not affected neither the battery nor its performance.
Needless to say that it consumes a meager amount of HDD space to run it..but even wit my first Dell laptop of 40GB..it still ran the hibernate function PERFECTLY. My recent laptop of almost 2yrs a Lenovo thinkpad T510 has always been put on hibernation ever since I bought it and took it out of its box,and I have had no cause to complain about a problem or the other. I only restart the system whenever I install a software that requires a system restart and after that..its HIBERNATION MODE activated if I'm off the Laptop.
To me Hibernating is like putting my soup in the refrigerator..I only bring it out,get it warmed up if I need to eat some of it and put the remainder back in the refrigerator..its still remains FRESH!!..
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by ardedoyin: 6:44pm On Aug 21, 2013
Found dis answers helpful....thanks y'all
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by gimbastar(m): 6:27pm On Oct 12, 2014
chux76:
You know when people talk about HIBERNATION in Laptops causing damage to their systems,I wonder what kind of Laptops it is they use and the state of the Laptop before usage. Personally since I started using a Laptop and discovered that magic function "hibernate" its been the MOST USED function on all my laptops.From 2002-till date I have used over 6 laptops and I can thonk my chest and say proudly that I have always put them in hibernate mode whenever I need to step put in a hurry or whenever I need to leave my system for a while and it has not affected neither the battery nor its performance.
Needless to say that it consumes a meager amount of HDD space to run it..but even wit my first Dell laptop of 40GB..it still ran the hibernate function PERFECTLY. My recent laptop of almost 2yrs a Lenovo thinkpad T510 has always been put on hibernation ever since I bought it and took it out of its box,and I have had no cause to complain about a problem or the other. I only restart the system whenever I install a software that requires a system restart and after that..its HIBERNATION MODE activated if I'm off the Laptop.
To me Hibernating is like putting my soup in the refrigerator..I only bring it out,get it warmed up if I need to eat some of it and put the remainder back in the refrigerator..its still remains FRESH!!..
No, it won't!
Re: What Is The Disadvantage Of Hibernating Your Laptop by Nocci(m): 9:47am On Sep 14, 2015
skydancer:

Thank God there are some sensible computer operators in nairaland

Yeah.. but you might suffer some loss if you delete your restore points... You won't be able to restore your PC back to a previous state and this is only needed when you encounter a problem that requires you to restore to an earlier date.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Can I Browse With The 3GB That Comes With My Glo Comonth BIS Plan / √√ Huawei Old/New Modem Unlocking Codes Request [ ONLY HERE ] / Post Your Laptop Problem Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.