Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,270 members, 7,826,040 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:53 AM

Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage (14233 Views)

Grazing Law: Emir Sanusi, Miyetti Allah Boss Thumb Up Fayose / Kano Speaker Resigns Over Emir Sanusi’s Removal Saga - / Emir Sanusi Wants Nigeria To Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by olafum1(m): 10:55pm On May 24, 2016
The Emir of Kano, Muhammad Sanusi, has advocated a ban on marriage of women below 18 years, saying most of the women suffering from reproductive health challenges were products of such marriages.

The emir, who spoke at a workshop organised by the Northern Islamic Forum in Kano on Tuesday, said time had come when the Muslim community should live by the reality of economic recession and consequences of early marriage.

He said the era when people gave out their daughters in marriage at early ages and asked the husbands to wait till they were ripe was nothing but a deception.
According to Mr. Sanusi, that strategy no longer worked as it had led to cases of divorce and other ugly situations.
The emir recounted that in the past the rich and the poor married four wives and bore between 30 and 40 children because the economy was not only buoyant but also because people were not relying on government for sustenance.

He said though the harsh economic realities now make it impossible for people to feed twice a day these days, “unfortunately our people do not change and somebody with virtually nothing still give birth to 20 or 30 children and this must stop”.
Mr. Sanusi said there was a need to peg the marriage age now because of the challenges early marriage was posing.
According to him, the marriage age in Egypt at present was 18 while that of Malaysia and Morocco were 19 and 17 respectively, asking “why not we here urgently call for pegging of marriage ages within Muslim Umma in Nigeria?”

He argued that since Nigeria Muslims also practice the Malikiys School of thought as these countries, “we should follow suit and peg our own marriage ages for our own good”.
Mr. Sanusi called on the relevant authorities to create a law that would punish anybody that gave birth to children and allowed them to suffer.
According to him, most of those neglected children not only turned victims of social vices but also engage in terrorism.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/204023-emir-sanusi-wants-nigeria-ban-child-brides-18-marriage.html

40 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by ba2undey(m): 10:59pm On May 24, 2016
All the hausa people will not gree wink

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by olafum1(m): 11:05pm On May 24, 2016
Most reasonable opinion I've heard from a northerner in a very long time. After they've all assume the position of victims to their own injustice, and Since they've all lost their sense of reasoning and morality to their fascist religion.

I know some fanatics and ignoramus even in His own religion and among his kinsmen will come for his head....

After all, Mohammed wants many followers at his back at ressurection, so they have to populate the earth and religion by giving birth to as many as possible (at least now that jihad war is no more selling).

Anyway, Nothing but truth had Sanusi spoken. Counter him first be4 thinking of me.

72 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by Caseless: 11:07pm On May 24, 2016
^^^
Most times, the love or "lust" for "likes" from your ilk won't make you make sense. You truncate your own line of thought.

Gibberish!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by aventura: 11:26pm On May 24, 2016
Common sense.

Not Just marriages but islam itself should adjust to the reality of our times.

Nice one from the emir.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by viceldo(m): 11:26pm On May 24, 2016
I agree but start it from KANO and let's see what happens.....

4 Likes

Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by Jengem: 11:27pm On May 24, 2016
But the Emir engaged his latest bride at 17 and then married her at 18

Why is he a hypocrite abeg?

Chopping 18 year old kpomo

paedo

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by goodlifehyd1: 6:27am On May 25, 2016
Some e-goats would still find a way to abuse the emir, some people are here calling the emir a pedophile while they are busy chasing kids that aint upto 18 on the streets.

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by chriskosherbal(m): 6:40am On May 25, 2016
I concur, it should be ban.

2 Likes

Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by RichYoungNigga: 8:07am On May 25, 2016
But he just married a brand new 13 year old girl last month

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by DailyPost: 8:07am On May 25, 2016
smiley smiley .... one Nigeria

Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by ORACLE1975(m): 8:08am On May 25, 2016
My KING hope say you think twice before you said it

Don't ak me WHY.
Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by Segadem(m): 8:08am On May 25, 2016
grin angry grin
Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by pretydiva(f): 8:09am On May 25, 2016
See who is talking undecided

3 Likes

Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by Folksyharry(m): 8:09am On May 25, 2016
If this happens it will be a very wonderful development.

4 Likes

Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by msserenity: 8:10am On May 25, 2016
Na now day break

2 Likes

Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by hucienda: 8:10am On May 25, 2016
Good one..

The Emir should start in his domain.

1 Like

Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by Exponental(m): 8:10am On May 25, 2016
guilty or not guilty Mr emir?
Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by Olibboy: 8:11am On May 25, 2016
kai... walahi we no go gree
Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by hakeem4(m): 8:11am On May 25, 2016
But why will someone marry a lady under 18 ?

1 Like

Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by joseph1832(m): 8:11am On May 25, 2016
Spoken like the Sanusi Lamido I know. Was thinking putting on a turban will make your brain cells dry, but now I'm seeing that your brain cells are still as active as before.

Sanusi Lamido should also call on the muslim ummah and the relevant authority to place a ban on the amount of kids a couple should have, the maximum of three and minimum of one, is more than enough.

I wonder when most of these our religious and traditional folks will see that the era of giving birth to kids spontaneously is gone. However, I just hope these religious and traditional folks don't come for Sanusi Lamido, I remember the way one senator acted when a bill was brought to NASS as regard the amount of kids one should have.

I just hope they won't accuse Sanusi Lamido of attacking Islam with this utterance he made. Marrying very young teenage girls still give some people a big kick.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by Buking1: 8:11am On May 25, 2016
Good
Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by mmsen: 8:11am On May 25, 2016
Jengem:
But the Emir engaged his latest bride at 17 and then married her at 18

Why is he a hypocrite abeg?

Chopping 18 year old kpomo

paedo

She was 16 when the news first broke which probably means that he was courting her when she was 15.

Anyway, let him tell Ali Yerima to stop buying children to 'molest'. Maybe if the head leads the tail (the useless akuya who make up the northern populace) will follow.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by Millyiyke: 8:12am On May 25, 2016
You have my support
Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by b3llo(m): 8:12am On May 25, 2016
It should totally be banned
Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by anigold(m): 8:12am On May 25, 2016
olafum1:
The Emir of Kano, Muhammad Sanusi, has advocated a ban on marriage of women below 18 years, saying most of the women suffering from reproductive health challenges were products of such marriages.

The emir, who spoke at a workshop organised by the Northern Islamic Forum in Kano on Tuesday, said time had come when the Muslim community should live by the reality of economic recession and consequences of early marriage.

He said the era when people gave out their daughters in marriage at early ages and asked the husbands to wait till they were ripe was nothing but a deception.
According to Mr. Sanusi, that strategy no longer worked as it had led to cases of divorce and other ugly situations.
The emir recounted that in the past the rich and the poor married four wives and bore between 30 and 40 children because the economy was not only buoyant but also because people were not relying on government for sustenance.

He said though the harsh economic realities now make it impossible for people to feed twice a day these days, “unfortunately our people do not change and somebody with virtually nothing still give birth to 20 or 30 children and this must stop”.
Mr. Sanusi said there was a need to peg the marriage age now because of the challenges early marriage was posing.
According to him, the marriage age in Egypt at present was 18 while that of Malaysia and Morocco were 19 and 17 respectively, asking “why not we here urgently call for pegging of marriage ages within Muslim Umma in Nigeria?”

He argued that since Nigeria Muslims also practice the Malikiys School of thought as these countries, “we should follow suit and peg our own marriage ages for our own good”.
Mr. Sanusi called on the relevant authorities to create a law that would punish anybody that gave birth to children and allowed them to suffer.
According to him, most of those neglected children not only turned victims of social vices but also engage in terrorism.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/204023-emir-sanusi-wants-nigeria-ban-child-brides-18-marriage.html
hypocrisy is worse than ebola, so after taking an 18 year old bride you now wants others not to do same. Wonders shall never end...
Please Sir/emir tell that to the winds..

1 Like

Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by MadCow1: 8:12am On May 25, 2016
How that nonsense is still being practiced in Nigeria in 2016 is shocking to say the least.

6 Likes

Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by Nobody: 8:13am On May 25, 2016
Hmm
Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by logica(m): 8:13am On May 25, 2016
Oh really? Speak to your senators nah. Who are you telling?

1 Like

Re: Emir Sanusi: Ban Child Brides, Under-18 Marriage by COvo(m): 8:13am On May 25, 2016
I still think a girl should be up to 23 before she gets married.19,20 is still a no no for me. I still wonder how some muslims will get married to a 15 year old.the thing disgusts me. undecided undecided undecided undecided

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2023: North Will Produce Nigeria’s Next President – PDP Youths Insist / Insecurity: FCT Lacks Equipment To Track Criminals - Wike / Governor Yuguda Divorces Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.