Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,858 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? (1017 Views)

Was I Wrong To Have Moved Out Of My Parents' Place? / Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? / Is It Wrong For A Girl To Stay Alone? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by DrLorenz1(m): 10:47am On Aug 21, 2009
Hello NLders,

There's something that has been bothering me for quite a while and i wanted to share it here. I have a friend who's quite close to me and we go way back. He once told me about a cousin of his whom he said he likes very much. Initially, i thought it was just the normal family thing. Recently though, he's been talking so much about this cousin of his, that i began to suspect something else. 

At a point i decided to 'confront' him about the issue and he opened up to me that he's 'noticed' that his feelings has always been much more than what he thought. Although he didn't exactly say it, but i believe he's really in love with her. Before anyone starts condemning or commending him or his feelings, let me explain something.

This cousin of his is actually what some people will want to call 'Step cousin'. I don't know if such a word exists though. Anyway, the girl in question is a daughter to his mum's step-sister. His mum and the aunt share the same mum, but different fathers. I guess we can all do the 'calculation' lol.

Personally, i've tried talking to a few of our friends, but most of them think that there's nothing really wrong with it. I decided to bring up the issue in here since there'll be diverse opinions and hopefully, mature comments. There's one more thing though, the girl doesn't know or suspects anything, so they haven't done anything.
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by Seun(m): 11:54am On Aug 21, 2009
Even after you're married, you're going to find some other women attractive sometimes.
We can't control our "feelings", but we don't have to be controlled by them. It's no biggie.
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by Fhemmmy: 1:00pm On Aug 21, 2009
Tell him to get his feeling in check, but wait oh, they are "step cousin" so i am not sure if that is a crime now
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by Nezed(f): 1:19pm On Aug 21, 2009
He can not have any relatioship with her because there is a blood relationship between him and the cousin: they share the same maternal GRANDMA!

I dont know where he is from, but if he is Nigerian, i think its almost like a taboo.
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by DrLorenz1(m): 1:30pm On Aug 21, 2009
@seun, the parents ur own cousins am sure are of the same parents too right?

@flemmy that's what he's thinking too, but i wonder if he's not right smiley

@Nezed yea he's a Nigerian all right. U think? U see y he's confused?

There's one more thing i didn't say, this girl in question, i've talked to her often times when she calls my friend and am afraid that if she gets to know how he feels, she just might be tempted considering that she likes him too, but not as much as he does her.
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by Fhemmmy: 1:36pm On Aug 21, 2009
Dr. Lorenz:

@seun, the parents your own cousins am sure are of the same parents too right?

@flemmy that's what he's thinking too, but i wonder if he's not right smiley

@Nezed yea he's a Nigerian all right. U think? U see y he's confused?

There's one more thing i didn't say, this girl in question, i've talked to her often times when she calls my friend and am afraid that if she gets to know how he feels, she just might be tempted considering that she likes him too, but not as much as he does her.

U sure no be you dey eye ur cousin?
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by DrLorenz1(m): 1:45pm On Aug 21, 2009
@Fhemmy i only wonder, it doesn't mean i agree with him grin grin. Afterall, Nezed sef confuse lmao!
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by DrLorenz1(m): 1:46pm On Aug 21, 2009
And oh, i'm not eyeing my cousin lol
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by Fhemmmy: 1:48pm On Aug 21, 2009
Dr. Lorenz:

And oh, i'm not eyeing my cousin lol

OK
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by Nezed(f): 3:03pm On Aug 21, 2009
Dr. Lorenz:

@Fhemmy i only wonder, it doesn't mean i agree with him grin grin. Afterall, Nezed sef confuse lmao!

Ah, Doc, dnt get it twisted. i said:
1. He CAN NOT have a relationship wt her as they both share the same maternal gran ma. (wonder wat they wld tell their kids: that dad's grand ma and mum's grand ma is the same person?).

2. I think its a taboo( in other words, a crime against tradition)

From my reasoning therefore, u cannot marry someone u share blood with and i think its a crime against tradition(rephrasing my word for clarity) meaning, am not too definite about the consequence by tradition.

But the singular fact they share the same maternal grand Ma, is enough ground for me to say:
IT IS NOT WRONG TO HAVE SUCH FEELINGS, BUT IT CANNOT BE ACTED UPON! QED.
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by chiejik(f): 3:33pm On Aug 21, 2009
seconded
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by Nobody: 10:38am On Aug 22, 2009
there are some dangers involved in inbreeding.
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by mamagee6(f): 12:46am On Aug 25, 2009
Yes it's very very wrong. grin
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by kolaoloye(m): 3:13pm On Aug 25, 2009
As for me,it is not good enough. Let him direct his feelings to somewhere else.
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by Pwaves(f): 7:12pm On Aug 25, 2009
its not a crime in all part of nigeria. in the north where i come from even 1st cousins can get married. its believd that(considering divorce rate) such mariages last longer cos of the family ties. though mariages like this are to the guys advantage. he offends the wife and she is told to apologise cos he is her elder brother. i dont encourage it.
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by Nezed(f): 8:38am On Aug 26, 2009
Pwaves:

its not a crime in all part of nigeria. in the north where i come from even 1st cousins can get married. its believd that(considering divorce rate) such mariages last longer cos of the family ties. though mariages like this are to the guys advantage. he offends the wife and she is told to apologise cos he is her elder brother. i dont encourage it.

The northern part of Nigeria never ceases to amaze me!
Is all good. Very soon, sons will begin to marry their father's wives and the women will apologise to their husbands-cum-son when offended!
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by DrLorenz1(m): 3:15pm On Aug 28, 2009
@tpia what are the dangers involved in breeding?

@Nezed Okay now i understand you. It can't be acted upon. Like we both (all) know, we can't control our feelings all the time, and anything could happen.

What if the girl in question finds out that she feels the same way, even if a little? That question is for the females here, put yourselves in the girl's shoes and ask yourself the question. What would you do?
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by Nezed(f): 3:25pm On Aug 28, 2009
Gawd, Doc, what will i do in her shoes?

Ok, i will channel all my energy into finding out the cure for HIV or Breast Cancer instead of debating on committing INCEST! grin grin grin
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by DrLorenz1(m): 3:53pm On Aug 29, 2009
Exactly!!! grin grin grin
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Aug 30, 2009
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by DrLorenz1(m): 5:38pm On Sep 02, 2009
@chaircover

are you talking as a fact, or possibility? am asking because isn't that supposed to happen only when there's already a disorder?
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Sep 02, 2009
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by Nobody: 1:44am On Sep 03, 2009
Yeah, chaircover is right. The possiblity of giving birth to imbeciles and children with various disorder is very high. This is because mutated genes that were reccessive in the parents could become expressed since there are lesser pool of genes to choose from, during conception. our forefathers called it a taboo because they realised such marriages produced offsprings with disbilities which they always attributed to punishment from the gods for going against tradition.
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by baron2000(m): 9:39am On Sep 03, 2009
Feeling, no problem,

sex, go ahead

but marriage, no even think am!!! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by DLuciano: 12:29pm On Sep 03, 2009
Please and please, fear God and depart from evil. Don't let Satan
take control of your mind. Joseph feared God and refused to fall for Portiphar's wife.
This is temptation, if u yield you regret later. Dont take advantage of her filial affection.
She is your cousin (blood). Its a taboo to do her any harm.

Pastor
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by Claus(m): 1:04pm On Sep 03, 2009
The girl's mum is actually his mum's half sister not step sister. As many people have rightly said, she's a blood relative so he has to let the feelings die a natural death by trying not to think about her.
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by nethacker(m): 2:44pm On Sep 03, 2009
chaircover:

Higher risk of genetic disorders as both parents are from the same gene pool
microbiologist has spoken grin
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by DrLorenz1(m): 12:44pm On Sep 05, 2009
@ D. Luciano
If you read the post very well, i didn't say i was the one. It is a friend of mine. angry

@ baron
U're funny o, u're the only person who has said something like that. What's your own reasons for saying that. Chaircover has told me his/her reasons grin

@nethacker
IS chaircover really a biologist?
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by Nweddings: 12:52pm On Sep 05, 2009
Re: Is It Wrong To Have Such Feelings? by DrLorenz1(m): 6:23pm On Sep 15, 2009
Nweddings:

No she isn't
Okay grin. Was about to ask where she works lol

(1) (Reply)

What Makes A Family Strong? / What Is Really Wrong With Sleeing With Ones Cousin? / Step Mother Of 3.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.