Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,353 members, 7,815,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

An Open Letter To The Director General Of NYSC - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / An Open Letter To The Director General Of NYSC (640 Views)

Kazaure & Corpers Condole With Family Of Yusuf Bomoi, Late NYSC Director-General / Yusuf Bomoi Is Dead (Ex NYSC Director-General) / Open Letter To The Director General NYSC By A Stream 2 Prospective Corp Member. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

An Open Letter To The Director General Of NYSC by cho25bc(f): 1:55am On May 27, 2016
Dear DG Kazaure,

I am left with no other choice than to address you publicly through this means since all other efforts were in vain. Also, I think it's high time the general public know the unpalatable circumstances your management has subjected us to in the last four months.

Today marks the 15th day since Stream II members have been delayed. I woke up this morning feeling depressed, confused and dejected. No thanks to the news making the rounds for more than one week that the management of NYSC Scheme is unsure of when Stream II ( of which I am among) will be called to serve. Other rumours have it that the management are secretly plotting means to postpone Stream II set till after Ramadan in July in order to turn them into Batch B and mobilise the set in July.

I keep asking myself over and over again, what have we Stream II done wrong to deserve this embarrassment and neglect? Is it our fault that we were placed in Stream II? Or will I be right to assume that we were placed in Stream II deliberately to purge us out like dirty water?

The day I received the text message from NYSC that I will be notified when to print my call up letter, I knew something was fishy. Now my fears have been confirmed.
It will be recalled that the registration for this year`s scheme began on February 8 and ended on 29th. Majority of us who wanted to serve trooped out en masse to register. We were in high spirits, hoping that in the next one month, we will be called to serve. Sadly, we didn't have the inkling that some of us were in for unpleasant surprises.

This is the fourth time the time-table has been shifted. First it was slated for Match, then it was postponed till April, then May 21st and now, only God knows when. We don’t know if July is certain or not. Ok, fine, let us assume that we have accepted to be mobilized in July, but the question is, when in July? CULs will not be out until second week and then orientation may not start until towards the end of the month. In the end, we may not start our service proper until August.

Thousands of Nigerian youths are shattered by this cruelty. Many have been waiting for more than two years for this opportunity to serve their fatherland. Is this what we get for being patriotic?
Many graduates who were already working left their sources of livelihood in April to prepare for the onward march to their much anticipated places of deployment.

Sir, we the affected members of Stream II are deeply hurt by this act of inhumane treatment. I'm very sure that you did not pause to think twice about the implication of your actions. You are making us to believe that lack of funds is the main factor that prevented you from releasing funds to the scheme for Stream II to go for service, but there was fund for stream I. As if that was not enough, the announcement made was void of emotions and sympathy, no official issuance of apology, just a declaration for us to swallow hook, line and tinker.

The country is already dipped in the furnace of misfortunes, fuel price hike, tomato price hike, unpaid salaries of workers by State governors and economy meltdown. We are not immune to the hardship that these national problems have caused to the daily survival of Nigerians because we are directly hit by the effects, why then should the delay in our deployment be added to our list of bad news?

This has shown that we are of no value to the government and NYSC scheme. This is the result of a government who rules with deceit and failed education sector . Let me point out to you that the unwavering confidence we the youths of this country have in you and the FG is gradually fading. We have lost hope in your credibility as leaders to support our channelled course for a better tomorrow.

Apparently, the NYSC management is confused within its own camp, yet we bear the brunt as segregated Stream II Corpers. Our parents are anxious. Some are fast losing trust in their children because they believe that these graduates might have lied about their graduation status.

Many youths are already courting the idea of opting for exemption letters when our so-called 'Ogas at the top' are busy dribbling us on the field of deception. You as the DG is putting the blame on the FG and the minister of Youth and Sports, then Senate also took a chunk of the blame-game. It is appalling.

As if all these insults were not enough, series of scam messages started flying round on social media since last week. Some said we will be deployed on the 25th of May, then the date on our deployment CULs was changed to 20th June from the initial 21st May. Few hours later, CUL link was removed from dashboards and NYSC denied any involvement in the scandal,but later admitted its hands in it. Additionally, another rumour surfaced that our States of deployment may be changed when re-deployment commences. Yet, every rumours are usually refuted by your people, labelling the news as 'fake messages from cyber criminals'. I believe that the cyber criminals are within your organisation and workforce, so what measures have you taken to fish them out?

Now we are left almost in the middle of nowhere, uncertain of what next to expect.

History has been made in a negative light because this inconsistency in the 2016 organisation of the program has never being recorded since inception in 1973.

Sir, this is humiliation in its rawest form. We are suffering emotional torture. Majority of us cannot engage in productive occupation because we need NYSC to boost our career lives. We do not want distractions when the clarion call to serve our fatherland arrives. Unfortunately, our zealousness is not appreciated.

There is urgent need for a lasting solution to be rapidly provided to this ugly occurrence. Sir, we the affected Stream II members are depressed. We are gradually losing our patience. There must be a stop to this discrimination. There must be a stop to this menace. We are being maltreated because our voices are stifled by oppression. The powers that be view us as non-entities who dare not fight for their rights. However, we have God who will always intervene in our persecution.
We have exercised sufficient patience and long-suffering. We are tired of being tossed to and fro. We want to be called to serve just like our Stream I mates. We want to be useful to our nation (even though our nation does not care about our existence). We are tired of being idle. We are tired of being toyed with. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! How did you feel when you saw some brave youths stormed the streets across the country to stage a protest? I'm very sure that you were astonished by their boldness. Now you know how it feels to be pushed to the wall.

Sir, on behalf of my fellow Stream II members, I plead with you. We must be called to camp latest next week. We demand for fairness and justice.

Sir, with all due respect, if you come across this open letter, do not see it as a rude manner of communication or as an insult to your personality. You are an elderly man and I also have a father whom I dare not downgrade. Rather, view this open letter as a challenge to your position as a father, a leader, a role model, a brother, an uncle and a military man with reputable rank. A man bestowed with the above mentioned ranks is expected to deliver effectively, especially as a new DG.

I hope a favourable news will be delivered to us very soon. Thank you and God bless.

From a desperate prospective Stream II member.

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To The Director General Of NYSC by kingphilip(m): 4:40am On May 27, 2016
The open letter era purportedly founded by Obasanjo is here again

It's really disheartening to be in a position like this especially as it was the so called PCMs that opted to be thrown into the stream II category which some of us regretted not been in due to the extra bonus that were paid to them during our time

May God give all those affected the fortitude to bear the loss of time, temporary job and patience..

Just hang on a bit there's surely night at the end of the tunnel..

This also bring to mind whether nysc should be scrapped or allowed to remain..

In my humble opinion I think it should be left open for PCMs to decide whether to engage in the one year service to their fatherland or not to and government shouldn't make it a necessary requirement for getting jobs in the country

PCMs should also know that this your cries of wanting to serve engineered by good stories you hear from past Corp members should be discarded because they'll only give you the juicy parts not mentioning what de usually go through during this period..

(1) (Reply)

How A Corp Member Was Buried. / Job At A Consulting Firm For Coppers In Abuja / Mmm , Change Your Guider Or Remove Guider To Sustain D System 4 Long On Android

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.