Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:23 PM

Venn Diagram Question - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Venn Diagram Question (843 Views)

My Diagram Vs What A Pupil Drew (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Venn Diagram Question by geezville(m): 2:29am On May 28, 2016
Is there anything wrong with this Venn diagram? If you feel something is wrong, please provide details.
First correct answer gets #1,000 airtime wink

Re: Venn Diagram Question by matrix199(m): 5:20am On May 28, 2016
A venn diagram with an intersection will have 3 variables, set of A, set of B, and set of "A n B", where n is an intersection, with a percentage assigned to the intersection.

Here's the maths.....

Let's call the blue section set A
Let's call the yellow section set B
Let's call the intersection 'x'

... Set A= 90-x
....Set B= 83-x
....Intersection= x

90-x% + x% + 83-x% = 100%
173 - x = 100
x = 173-100
x = 73%

The intersection should be assigned 73%.

The venn diagram has no percentage assigned to the intersection. That's what's wrong with it.

I stand to be corrected. I'm not mathematically inclined because of my field.
Re: Venn Diagram Question by geezville(m): 6:07am On May 28, 2016
Wow....u blew me off boss. Not sure I follow though. So if you were to correct the diagram, what would it look like visually
Re: Venn Diagram Question by matrix199(m): 6:49am On May 28, 2016
Visually, the blue section wld be Americans who do not own a gun.
The yellow section wld be every gun owner in America.
While the intersection wld be every American who owns a gun.

Set A = Americans who do not own a gun(90-73=17%)
Set B = gun owners in America(83-73=10%)
Intersection = Americans who own guns(73%)
Re: Venn Diagram Question by geezville(m): 7:35am On May 28, 2016
matrix199:
Visually, the blue section wld be Americans who do not own a gun.

The yellow section wld be every gun owner in America.

While the intersection wld be every American who owns a gun.

Set A = Americans who do not own a gun(90-73=17%)

Set B = gun owners in America(83-73=10%)

Intersection = Americans who own guns(73%)

Hmmm.....good stuff bro. Nice effort. Actually, what I was looking for was a restructuring of the Venn diagram. The first pic was wrong because all the individuals i.e. gun owners or not are Americans. As such, they should all be in a big circle, with smaller circles within representing gun owners and those who support gun control. See what I'm talking about in this pic. But for sure, your calculations make sense. I'd PM you right away to fulfill my promise wink

Re: Venn Diagram Question by matrix199(m): 7:59am On May 28, 2016
geezville:

Hmmm.....good stuff bro. Nice effort. Actually, what I was looking for was a restructuring of the Venn diagram. The first pic was wrong because all the individuals i.e. gun owners or not are Americans. As such, they should all be in a big circle, with smaller circles within representing gun owners and those who support gun control. See what I'm talking about in this pic. But for sure, your calculations make sense. I'd PM you right away to fulfill my promise wink

There was no way I cld express it pictorially. My BB isn't as smart as an android.
Re: Venn Diagram Question by geezville(m): 8:55am On May 28, 2016
matrix199:

There was no way I cld express it pictorially. My BB isn't as smart as an android.

All good mehn...hope d transfer was successful
Re: Venn Diagram Question by matrix199(m): 11:50am On May 28, 2016
geezville:

All good mehn...hope d transfer was successful

Wooa! Are u for real?! 1750? Now I'm dumbfounded. Thanks man. You know, a man is as real as his words!

Re: Venn Diagram Question by matrix199(m): 12:06pm On May 28, 2016
@ seun, Mynd, lalasticlala... This is the kind of topic mature minds on NL want to see on FP, not things like animal cruelty, or celebrity figureheads posing to take snapshots.

Try as much to surf entirely across Trending and new topics and push things like this to FP. Thank you.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Say No To Exam Malpractice / See What A Pupil Wrote That Got The Teacher Angry / JAMB Proposed Model For Screening Of Recommended Candidates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.