Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,149 members, 7,815,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:06 AM

Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office (23795 Views)

Democracy Day Scorecard: Top 5 Best Governors! / Marriage Ceremonies Of The Daughters Of PMB & GEJ: The Difference - By Lawrence / President Buhari Presents 10-Months Scorecard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by DropShot: 7:17am On May 28, 2016
It’s exactly one year that the Change government was handed the mantle of leadership of Nigeria for a four-year term. Irrespective of what anyone’s political leaning is, it’s very appropriate to measure the performance of PMB and his government as objectively as one can be. As a believer and supporter of this government, I have done some articles in the past to show support for the administration. Let see how our change managers have fared in the past one year.

The Positives

1. Successful implementation of TSA
The great idea to bring all government revenues under the umbrella of a unified single account known as treasury single account was birthed by Goodluck Jonathan’s administration. But for some political reasons, GEJ was not able to implement the program. Since coming of PMB, implementation of the TSA was one of the first orders he gave and we now know that the implementation has saved Nigeria up to N3 trillion that hitherto would have been kept in different government’s accounts from where the politicians could do as they wish with such monies. I think the president has done well here and I score him 8/10.

2. Reduction in cost of governance and blocking of wastages
In the past, it was not uncommon to read that as many as 200 or 300 delegates accompanied the president on international trips. Since the coming of PMB, such numbers have been reduced to 20s and 30s even on the most important of trips.
PMB has also stopped the practice of government sponsoring private persons on holy pilgrimage thereby saving the nation some millions of dollars in the process. Last year alone, the FG saved over $1 million by not sponsoring people on Haj. Some states later followed this line.
By reducing the number of ministries from 48 to 24, the FG has surely been able to save some monies that could have been spent on overhead costs. The president scores 7/10 here.

3. Appreciable success in the fight against BHT
No doubt this has to be one of the major achievements of PMB in his first year in office. Even though Boko Haram Terrorists group remain a threat to Nigeria’s security, it’s surely not as potent and as formidable as it was when the president took over as many of the terrorists have been killed while many towns and villages have been liberated by the Nigerian Army. This success has given renewed hope to the possibility of rescuing some of the Chibok Girls (if not all) from their captors. I score him 7/10 here.

4. Stemming the tide of corruption and prosecution of past corruption cases
Another signature achievement of PMB is the success being achieved in the fight against corruption. No matter how we dice it, we all know that corruption is responsible for the comatose state of our affairs. It was corruption that stalled our development as a giant of Africa. Since PMB’s coming, corruption has been given a bloodied nose even though there is still plenty of work to do. In addition to that, government officials now understand that they cannot engage in impunity and corrupt practices without getting punished.

We will have a better appreciation of the success of the government’s fight on corruption when the president finally reveals how much has been retrieved from past looters during his address to the nation tomorrow but we know the recovered monies run into billions of naira. Fingers crossed. Another 7/10 here.

5. Improved relationship with the outside diplomatic world
Despite criticism of his numerous travel abroad, discerning minds now know that Nigeria is gradually regaining her battered image in the comity of nations. The president had been recognized guest in many very important international functions where his efforts were recognized as well. It is our hope that by the time PMB completes his first tenure, our image will have been further improved globally. He scores 6/10 here.

The Negatives

1. Failure to reduce number of presidential airplanes
Despite largely reducing cost of governance, it is absurd and annoying that PMB has not deemed it necessary to cut the number of presidential jets from 11 (?) to six or five. This runs contrary to his stand before becoming president and there cannot be any justification for keeping such large fleet of money-gulping planes. I hope the president sees reasons to reduce the fleet as a matter of necessity and in line with his frugal image. His score here is 0/10.

2. Indecisive in tackling Niger Delta Avengers and other militants
The president has been indecisive in bringing the ND Avengers and other militants under control such that their criminal activities have reduced daily oil production from 2.2 million bpd to about 1.6 million bpd.
Why announcing that the militants will be treated as terrorists when in fact you had not made up your mind on how to treat them? To sum it up, I have not seen the carrots neither have I seen the sticks. Like I said in one of my posts, should the militants succeed in crippling the economy of Nigeria, I will not blame them and their supporters. The blame will go to the Chief Security Officer of the country, who is responsible for securing our lives and properties just as GEJ took the blame for BHT. I score him 3/10 here.

3. Worsened economic situation
No doubt the president inherited a badly damaged economy. But the fact is, if the economy was doing fine he would not have won the election. In other words, the president and his VP were elected to find solutions to the myriads of challenges facing the country. So, by all means necessary, we expect PMB and his team to solve the economic problems and not to give excuses why they can’t tackle them. EOD.
Cost of almost everything has doubled or more than double since beginning of this year. I am not sure Nigerians can go like this for another one year without people dropping dead on the streets. So, the president must find the urgent solutions to resolve the crisis bedeviling the economy NOW. Nigerians need improved electricity, availability of goods and services at reasonable prices, job opportunities for the unemployed, etc. Here the president scores 3/10.

4. Handling Fulani Herdsmen Criminality
This issue of Fulani herdsmen is as old as the entity called Nigeria. However, it has assumed a more alarming dimension since beginning of this year. The security agencies, under the commandment of our C in C have not lived up to expectations. Just as with the ND Avengers and other terrorists, the president has remained hesitant and indecisive with how to deal with them. I score him 3/10.

5. Absence of solid programs at diversifying the economy
Past regimes paid lip service to diversification of the economy away from the largely oil-dependent to one that depends on multiple sources of income. Though we have seen the provisions in the budget that signifies that PMB will diversify the economy, however we have not seen necessary activities unveiling to support such provisions. For the fact that it normally takes time to diversify the economy and the fact that the budget was only signed in May, I will score the president 4/10 here.

So, by my analysis, the president has managed to score 48 out of 100. Not a good result in my opinion but he still has three more years to turn things around.

Your objective opinion is welcome.

87 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by greatgod2012(f): 7:22am On May 28, 2016
I love your sincerity, especially that number 3 of the negatives. I just hope our dear PMB will not wait for people to start dropping dead on the road before doing something positive on the economy.

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by kossyablaze(m): 7:23am On May 28, 2016
Keep deceiving urself.... 2/100

162 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by DropShot: 7:24am On May 28, 2016
greatgod2012:
I love your sincerity, especially that number 3 of the negatives. I just hope our dear PMB will not wait for people to start dropping dead on the road before doing something positive on the economy.
Thanks. We can only support this government by objectively criticizing it as and when required.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by DropShot: 7:24am On May 28, 2016
kossyablaze:
Keep deceiving urself
How?

Read and bring out what you disagree with.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by kossyablaze(m): 7:26am On May 28, 2016
DropShot:

How?

Read and bring out what you disagree with.
How can u give someone dat failed fantastically a whooping 48%

117 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by DropShot: 7:28am On May 28, 2016
kossyablaze:
How can u give someone dat failed fantastically a whooping 48%
That's your opinion which is made up since you lost in the last election. Not based on facts.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by MrCow(m): 7:29am On May 28, 2016

1 Like

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by STARGREEN(m): 7:31am On May 28, 2016
Don't expect much from Him as he lack what it takes to perform especially at this his age. What knows he of principles of economies? as for security he's ok but what you give u must receive sometimes.

6 Likes

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by ajebuter(f): 7:33am On May 28, 2016
DropShot:
It’s exactly one year that the Change government was handed the mantle of leadership of Nigeria for a four-year term. Irrespective of what anyone’s political leaning is, it’s very appropriate to measure the performance of PMB and his government as objectively as one can be. As a believer and supporter of this government, I have done some articles in the past to show support for the administration. Let see how our change managers have fared in the past one year.

The Positives

The great idea to bring all government revenues under the umbrella of a unified single account known as treasury single account was birthed by Goodluck Jonathan’s administration. But for some political reasons, GEJ was not able to implement the program. Since coming of PMB, implementation of the TSA was one of the first orders he gave and we now know that the implementation has saved Nigeria up to N3 trillion that hitherto would have been kept in different government’s accounts from where the politicians could do as they wish with such monies. I think the president has done well here and I score him 8/10.

In the past, it was not uncommon to read that as many as 200 or 300 delegates accompanied the president on international trips. Since the coming of PMB, such numbers have been reduced to 20s and 30s even on the most important of trips.
PMB has also stopped the practice of government sponsoring private persons on holy pilgrimage thereby saving the nation some millions of dollars in the process. Last year alone, the FG saved over $1 million by not sponsoring people on Haj. Some states later followed this line.
By reducing the number of ministries from 48 to 24, the FG has surely been able to save some monies that could have been spent on overhead costs. The president scores 7/10 here.

No doubt this has to be one of the major achievements of PMB in his first year in office. Even though Boko Haram Terrorists group remain a threat to Nigeria’s security, it’s surely not as potent and as formidable as it was when the president took over as many of the terrorists have been killed while many towns and villages have been liberated by the Nigerian Army. This success has given renewed hope to the possibility of rescuing some of the Chibok Girls (if not all) from their captors. I score him 7/10 here.

Another signature achievement of PMB is the success being achieved in the fight against corruption. No matter how we dice it, we all know that corruption is responsible for the comatose state of our affairs. It was corruption that stalled our development as a giant of Africa. Since PMB’s coming, corruption has been given a bloodied nose even though there is still plenty of work to do. In addition to that, government officials now understand that they cannot engage in impunity and corrupt practices without getting punished.

We will have a better appreciation of the success of the government’s fight on corruption when the president finally reveals how much has been retrieved from past looters during his address to the nation tomorrow but we know the recovered monies run into billions of naira. Fingers crossed. Another 7/10 here.

Despite criticism of his numerous travel abroad, discerning minds now know that Nigeria is gradually regaining her battered image in the comity of nations. The president had been recognized guest in many very important international functions where his efforts were recognized as well. It is our hope that by the time PMB completes his first tenure, our image will have been further improved globally. He scores 6/10 here.

The Negatives

Despite largely reducing cost of governance, it is absurd and annoying that PMB has not deemed it necessary to cut the number of presidential jets from 11 (?) to six or five. This runs contrary to his stand before becoming president and there cannot be any justification for keeping such large fleet of money-gulping planes. I hope the president sees reasons to reduce the fleet as a matter of necessity and in line with his frugal image. His score here is 0/10.

The president has been indecisive in bringing the ND Avengers and other militants under control such that their criminal activities have reduced daily oil production from 2.2 million bpd to about 1.6 million bpd.
Why announcing that the militants will be treated as terrorists when in fact you had not made up your mind on how to treat them? To sum it up, I have not seen the carrots neither have I seen the sticks. Like I said in one of my posts, should the militants succeed in crippling the economy of Nigeria, I will not blame them and their supporters. The blame will go to the Chief Security Officer of the country, who is responsible for securing our lives and properties just as GEJ took the blame for BHT. I score him 3/10 here.

No doubt the president inherited a badly damaged economy. But the fact is, if the economy was doing fine he would not have won the election. In other words, the president and his VP were elected to find solutions to the myriads of challenges facing the country. So, by all means necessary, we expect PMB and his team to solve the economic problems and not to give excuses why they can’t tackle them. EOD.
Cost of almost everything has doubled or more than double since beginning of this year. I am not sure Nigerians can go like this for another one year without people dropping dead on the streets. So, the president must find the urgent solutions to resolve the crisis bedeviling the economy NOW. Nigerians need improved electricity, availability of goods and services at reasonable prices, job opportunities for the unemployed, etc. Here the president scores 3/10.

This issue of Fulani herdsmen is as old as the entity called Nigeria. However, it has assumed a more alarming dimension since beginning of this year. The security agencies, under the commandment of our C in C have not lived up to expectations. Just as with the ND Avengers and other terrorists, the president has remained hesitant and indecisive with how to deal with them. I score him 3/10.

Past regimes paid lip service to diversification of the economy away from the largely oil-dependent to one that depends on multiple sources of income. Though we have seen the provisions in the budget that signifies that PMB will diversify the economy, however we have not seen necessary activities unveiling to support such provisions. For the fact that it normally takes time to diversify the economy and the fact that the budget was only signed in May, I will score the president 4/10 here.

So, by my analysis, the president has managed to score 48 out of 100. Not a good result in my opinion but he still has three more years to turn things around.

I can relate with this. He is not a total write-off in some areas. You are commendably-objective enough. I won't score him 48 neither will I give him zero sha..

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by Horlufemi(m): 7:34am On May 28, 2016
Best score card.
God bless you

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by DropShot: 7:34am On May 28, 2016
STARGREEN:
Don't expect much from Him as he lack what it takes to perform especially at this his age. What knows he of principles of economies? as for security he's ok but what you give u must receive sometimes.
He doesn't need to be very good in economics. It's enough to have good economic team and advisers.

13 Likes

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by MrCow(m): 7:34am On May 28, 2016
DropShot:
The Positives
The Negatives
he tried na @least he didn't have an F...... no carry over

PS. na naija we dey, they fit upgrade am

1 Like

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by DropShot: 7:35am On May 28, 2016
Horlufemi:
Best score card.

God bless you
Amen. And you too.

1 Like

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by Bitterleafsoup: 7:35am On May 28, 2016
In my village we be like....

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by DropShot: 7:35am On May 28, 2016
MrCow:

he tried na @least he didn't have an F...... no carry over
But the areas he's not doing well has impact on the overall populace! That's the problem.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by DropShot: 7:37am On May 28, 2016
ajebuter:

I can relate with this. He is not a total write-off in some areas. You are commendably-objective enough.
Nice to hear that. We owe him and ourselves the duty to make him do well where he's failing.
Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by Nobody: 7:40am On May 28, 2016
I quite agree with this. One thing that has slowed down economic growth in Nigeria is electricity and what is appalling is that both the past and the present administration has not given energy enough prioritisation judging from the budget.

How can we diversify,attract enough investors,beat down cost of commodities without a stable source of electricity? I think there have to be a paradigm shift from this oil brouhaha which is secondary and focus on the primary issues such as electricity.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by naijaboy756: 7:40am On May 28, 2016
So many threads are been opened to show his supposed 1 year achievement(s) if any. If the old man has done anything, it will speak for itself. No need struggling hard to sell a very bad product..

77 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by greatgod2012(f): 7:41am On May 28, 2016
That number 5 on your negative list, if implemented is the solution to the number 3 problem.

Overall, for you to score PMB 48% shows your objectivity, shows you're an unbiased analyst and honest follower.

You criticizes constructively, and that's what our leaders need to be on their feet.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by DropShot: 7:44am On May 28, 2016
greatgod2012:
That number 5 on your negative list, if implemented is the solution to the number 3 problem.

Overall, for you to score PMB 48% shows your objectivity, shows you're an unbiased analyst and honest follower.

You criticizes constructively, and that's what our leaders need to be on their feet.
Not really that number 5 will solve number 3 immediately. Rolling out programs to diversify the economy may take time to improve the present economic situation; though it will help also in the short run.

Thanks.
Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by freeze001(f): 7:46am On May 28, 2016
@ Dropshot

Perception is key. I know Nigeria has never had it smooth in terms of unity and oneness. However, it is important that we have a leader who serves as a unifying image while ensuring full respect of distinct tribes and religions.

I will therefore suggest another heading under the negatives:

RULE OF LAW

A decent, democratic society recognises the tenets of upholding the rule of law as paramount because every other function of society is bound by the law. Success or descent into a crass, uncouth and lawless existence is dependent on the will to uphold the rule of law on the part of the government and its citizens.

Appointments into federal offices have seen the most skewed representation of regions in recent times. It amounts to a direct negation of the federal character principle enshrined in the Constitution and is supposed to bring some unification however superficial. However we have a complete, in your face nepotism in favour of the NE and NW. Security which is paramount is almost completely in the hands of the highest perpetrators of insecurity ie boko haram and Fulani herdsmen all from the north. Evidently federal character is interpreted in this regime as electoral, ethnic and religious affiliation with the president. That in my opinion is enough to whip up sentiments and cannot be overruled. It's a -1/10 for Mr President and the APC because it's wilful and deliberate. Clear instance is NTA, the 3 Directors in line to be DG are all from the South so Mr President pulls an abokī out of retirement to head the outfit. Awesome isn't it?! undecided

This government particularly the DSS and EFCC have gained unpleasant notoriety for disregarding court rulings. They procure illegal holding charges which the Supreme Court has declared unlawful in various judgments. That's a major gaffe and calls for an absolute score of 0/10. There simply is no justification for refusing to obey court rulings. You have a problem, appeal it.

In this same subject is conduct of elections. It is known record that the statutory time given for conduct of rerun elections have long elapsed. Results of some conducted in Rivers state haven't been announced and those areas elections haven't been conducted in remain same. Imo and Anambra states still have outstanding elections. This implies that some states are losing vital representation at Federal level. That again is an absolute 0/10 because once again, there is no justification.

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by SleekAboki: 7:46am On May 28, 2016
When an elected government decides to abdicate it's primary duty of securing lives and properties while prioritizing fighting pseudo-corruption over and above lives,properties and economic wellbeing of her populace, such government has broken the social contract with babanla f9.

There's no need to rigmarole and try to give buhari any form of soft landing or excuse.Look at current objective observable realty and appreciate that Buhari's f9 is self inflicted and self evident.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by eph12(m): 7:49am On May 28, 2016
I agree with this analysis.
Though am skeptical with that of improved relationship with outside world. Truth is nothing much has changed since he took over. Their papers have nothing nice to write about us. From the last controversy that featured the prime minister of England et al, most world leaders are still skeptical about this present administration. Either they are not yet convinced or they don't seem to believe that we can be not corrupt. We definitely have to do much more than what we doing now (which I myself don't even understand) to buy the trust of world leaders.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:50am On May 28, 2016
Buhari's first year was a huge disappointment. He started off in the most clueless manner and got worse in his cluelessness. His one year presidency was filled with nepotism, maladministration, fraud, insincerity, Fulani and northern supremacy, and everything evil.

May God grant us the grace to endure the next three years of Mr President.

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by STARGREEN(m): 7:52am On May 28, 2016
DropShot:

He doesn't need to be very good in economics. It's enough to have good economic team and advisers.

Fix the economy and it's multiplier effect do the magic
Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by DropShot: 7:53am On May 28, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Buhari's first year was a huge disappointment. He started off in the most clueless manner and got worse in his cluelessness. His one year presidency was filled with nepotism, maladministration, fraud, insincerity, Fulani and northern supremacy, and everything evil.

May God grant us the grace to endure the next three years of Mr President.
Wonderful!

Well, he has not really done well judging by my op. However, he's not a disaster yet. He has three solid years to right the wrongs even though he has done far better in some areas than GEJ we kicked out.

A government on four-year mandate cannot be wholly judged just after one year. that will be really unfair.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by modath(f): 7:54am On May 28, 2016
48% is charitable, i'd have given 42% and this MO, Bubu's advocate..

The -6 is for not appointing ministers on time which allowed corrupt civil servants manipulate the budget which in turn created the clusterbleep of budget mess.. Part of why we have so much issues is the delay in the passage of the budget, Just hope the capital spending will be on steroids so a bit of lost time can be recovered..

I also score him double minus on the non sale of some planes in the fleet, he has no reason to hold on to them, he should also nix the idea of a re vamped national carrier, the world has moved past owing national assets for nostalgia sake... Emirates is profitable because UAE isn't running it as an extension of state services but as a serious business concern.

I will also come down heavy on him for his taciturn nature, Bubu needs to communicate with US, we need to know what is happening and where we are going , we can't continue to depend on his aides and ministers contradictory statements and opinions, we need our leader to speak to us directly, good or bad hearing it from him will lend credence and wont be open to misinterpretation or conjecture.

To the Positives...

Based on what he met on ground, the economic saboteurs antics and the unnecessary and pointless opposition, and judicial malady besieging the anti corruption drive, Bubu is making an ok lemonade from the lemons called Nigeria...

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by Ewizard(m): 7:54am On May 28, 2016
Sowie i don't score illiterates...

Doesn't mek any sense to me.

Reduction of cost of governance huh?? grin go check how much 29 trips cost d nation.

Or mayb scrape d Nass if u gat d balls lets go wit a unicameral legislature den invite me for talks on d subject..

U remove subsidy, wats d need for pppra abi na ppprc scrape dat shii..

Open ur dictionary and check for d word scam and cluelessness. Thats a wicked combination tho..

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by DropShot: 7:55am On May 28, 2016
STARGREEN:

Fix the economy and it's multiplier effect do the magic
True that.
Re: Scorecard Of PMB’s 1st Year In Office by edwife(f): 7:59am On May 28, 2016

This here is what Nigerians can't assimilate.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Market Forces Responsible For Hike In Fuel Pump Price - NNPCL GMD, Kyari / Yobe To Buy 2 TVs, 2 Air Conditioners For N300M; N210M For Graveyards, Mosques / Igbo Traditional Leaders, Town Groups, Age Grades Show Support For Nnamdi Kanu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.