Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,624 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

Americans Marry Too Much - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Americans Marry Too Much (904 Views)

Americans Spent $12bn On Plastic Surgery In 2014 / Segun Gele Admonishes Nigerian Americans / More Americans Forgo Marriage As Economic Difficulties Hit Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Americans Marry Too Much by Nobody: 5:35am On Aug 22, 2009
http://www.newsweek.com/id/212140

Americans Marry Too Much

OK, we still have the highest divorce rate in the world. But that's the problem—"We divorce, repartner, and remarry faster than people in any other country," says Andrew Cherlin, a Johns Hopkins sociologist and author of the new book The Marriage-Go-Round. Because many of the people racking up multiple marriages are also parents, American kids are more likely than those in other developed countries to live in a household with a revolving cast of parents, step-parents, and live-in partners moving in and out of their lives—a pattern that is definitely no[b]t good for children. Cherlin says he was particularly stunned to discover that American kids born to married couples experienced 6 percent more household disruption by age 15 than Swedish kids born to unmarried parents. Experts predicted that the study would find exactly the opposite, since research has long shown that cohabiting relationships are more fragile than married ones.[/b] "Remember, we're talking about the 'avant-garde' Swedes compared to the 'conservative' Americans," Cherlin says. When researchers broadened the categories, they were further surprised to find that American families were less stable: 40 percent of American children born into a two-parent family experienced a parental breakup by age 15, compared with 30 percent of Swedish kids. And American kids are 47 percent more likely than Swedish kids to have a stepparent move into their home within three years of a divorce. The further down the economic ladder the parents are, the faster the turnover occurs because splits tend to be less complicated (there's less stuff to divide up before the relationship is dissolved). The bottom line is that while marriage is good for kids, it's best when it results in a stable home. Or as Cherlin puts it, "Many of the problems faced by America's children stem not from parents marrying too little but rather too often."

interesting stuff
Re: Americans Marry Too Much by Nobody: 1:57pm On Aug 22, 2009
I think they get lonely easily. And America is such a big place compared to Sweden, there's a tendency for friends and family to be so dispersed. There's rarely any time for you to even meet them or have time for yourself because Americans are always working, running from first jobs to second jobs, forgetting their families need work too. Life is so fast here, why won't they rush in and out of marriage? undecided
Re: Americans Marry Too Much by Nobody: 2:01pm On Aug 22, 2009
I think they get lonely easily

I think so too.

A lot of women in America would rather be in a relationship than stay alone. Then again, in some weird way, its sometimes safer to have a man around the house.
Re: Americans Marry Too Much by 3spade3(m): 2:03pm On Aug 22, 2009
They can. THEY'RE AMERICAN. Your brain on pause nigga?
Re: Americans Marry Too Much by davidif: 5:49am On Aug 23, 2009
I think they get lonely easily. And America is such a big place compared to Sweden, there's a tendency for friends and family to be so dispersed. There's rarely any time for you to even meet them or have time for yourself because Americans are always working, running from first jobs to second jobs, forgetting their families need work too. Life is so fast here, why won't they rush in and out of marriage?

Marriage has lost its meaning in that part of the world. Marriage is a contract that should not be broken. Infact, its a convenant.
The majority of the divorces in the country is in the state i live in and it is because children marry sooooooooooo early. You see some kids marrying at age 18, some even younger than that. That is why i have always being against early marriage. I believe if one is going to get married, it should be when they are done with university (preferably after grad school) or in there late 20's.

My roomate, who worked as a financial planner told me that majority of divorces take place within the first 5 years of the marriage (and after all the kids have grown up and have gone to university) and that what usually causes it is money.

Another reason is that majority of there weddings is based on fairly tales of "happily ever after" which is not realistic. The sentimental feeling of euphoria (like the type you see in the movies) they feel fades out. Real love is not going on dates or buying flowers, jewelry, teddy bears, and chocolate. Real love is not going on pony rides it is 1 Corinthians 13. When you read that chapter everyday and understand it, then you will see what love is.
Re: Americans Marry Too Much by olanajim(m): 11:11am On Aug 23, 2009
I once drew a friend attention to this and what she yold me was that t is better to live with a dozen men that to have one miserable man for life,
Re: Americans Marry Too Much by xqwysyte(f): 11:13am On Aug 23, 2009
@ Poster\

And they DIVORCE too much wink

(1) (Reply)

I F Divorce Is So Traumatic: Why Go Through It / A Super Private Lesson Teacher / Chastity Scenario; Likely Outcomes?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.