Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,523 members, 7,819,880 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:49 AM

Why I Find President Buhari Speech A Disappointment - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Find President Buhari Speech A Disappointment (576 Views)

President Independence Speech : A Hate Speech And A War Threat. / Transcript Of President Buhari’s Speech At 72nd United Nations General Assembly / Oby Ezekwesili Describes Buhari's Speech As "Case Of Missed Opportunity" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why I Find President Buhari Speech A Disappointment by tboneybone(m): 8:37am On May 29, 2016
That was a very poor speech from Mr. President. Put my bias aside, that speech was very poor.

I expected the President to acknowledge the hardship of the people and explain his plans to save the country's economy. Unfortunately, he seems to be ignorant in this regard. The only thing he said about hardship was that he knows that the price of maize, rice, millet and garri have gone up. Really? That sounds like 1940!!! Is that the problem the President think we are facing right now? Just food? What about people losing their jobs, worsened electricity, general rocketing inflation, insecurity (Fulani herdsmen), the fuel scarcity we suffered for months, (no apologies or show of concern?) etc. I am ashamed!

Again, the only thing he said about salvaging the economy is his intention to stabilise the Naira. Really? Naira that has fallen naturally and cannot even stand most foreign currencies at the moment? Can we even get dollars or pounds at the official rate he is insisting on? Is he aware that most foreign investors are pulling out and none is coming in? Just last week here, some major aviation investor pulled out. Is he aware that it is a viable economic team and policy that will help and not his insistence on retaining the official value of Naira?

He spoke of his intention to adopt the UN recommendation for the Niger Delta. Good enough, but how about the CONFAB report which deals more specifically with our local needs in that region? He still promised mildly at the end to deal with the saboteurs in the region and bring them to justice. Good enough, but that sounds like his primary intention. But then I ask - why was he silent about the Fulani Herdsmen who have killed and are still killing innocent people in this country? Shouldn't they be brought to justice too? Another shame!

He thanked the UN for helping us tackle Ebola. Is he not aware that Ebola came and left during Jonathan's tenure? What does Ebola have to do with his administration? Haven't we finished that scene? Or he wants to take the glory? I don't get!! He is probably not aware that the disease that has plagued Nigeria in his own tenure is Lassa Fever. This simply shows that his government made no effort to tackle the disease. Another shame!

Going back, he started his speech by blaming and castigating the last government, just to work on our psyche to expect less from him. In doing that he exaggerated very well, but that's okay. That's actually his own problem, not mine. It is the problem that came with the inheritance which he struggled hard to get. Whether he exaggerates or not, the problems are his own to solve. Mine is to pay my tax and do my civic duties.

Notably, he made only two commitments to wit: recover stolen assets and bring back Chibok girls. Nothing else is important to him. Let's see how far these commitments will help us for another one year!

We are all in this together. Happy Sunday!

Source - Abe Joshua

1 Like

Re: Why I Find President Buhari Speech A Disappointment by lecturerdabo(m): 8:52am On May 29, 2016
Baba is the worst dry joke for Nigerians!

Both the 95% and 5% are feeling it alike!!

GOD PLEASE COME TO OUR RESCUE!!!
Re: Why I Find President Buhari Speech A Disappointment by olatunjithomas(m): 8:59am On May 29, 2016
so complicated.

(1) (Reply)

Niger Delta Avengers: Buhari Will Not Leave Ogoniland Alive / Fashola, Dangote, Femi Otedola & Others In Ogun State For Road Commissioning. / Thank You Mr President.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.