Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,855 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:16 PM

Seven Things That May Happen To Your Tomato Fruits This Wet Season And The Cure - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Seven Things That May Happen To Your Tomato Fruits This Wet Season And The Cure (1314 Views)

Removed / Wet Season Farming / Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seven Things That May Happen To Your Tomato Fruits This Wet Season And The Cure by hybridveggies(m): 12:12pm On May 30, 2016
Cassava farming, cereals cultivation and cash crop plantations are all good at least from the food security angle but few could make you millionaire over night like vegetable farming particularly tomato cultivation. Though, it is easier said than done for farming is all encompassing, if you don’t understand your market, you would end up a loser and if you don’t perfect your production techniques, then your market knowledge/market opportunities may as well be an illusion.
In this article, I would show you practical problems your tomato fruit may encounter and the possible solutions and prevention measures gotten through my personal experiences over time. Happy reading!
1. Host OF FUNGI AND BACTERIAL INFECTION
This is raining season which mean humidity would be very high. Fungi and bacterial diseases thrive well this period. You may experience fruit diseases such as bacterial speck, bacterial spot, bacterial blight, mold infection and rot etc. Well you may not bother to identify nor differentiate all these as a farmer except you are in research cycle.
SOLUTION
• Use Metalaxyl and copper oxide or Metalaxyl and Mancozeb based fungicide every fortnight.
• Use adequate spacing like 60cm x 100cm (a single line of tomato plant on a bed/row) combining this spacing with STAKING would ensure ventilation and reduce diseases incidence.
2. FRUIT CRACKING
This isn’t a disease related issue. It purely physiological. The most common cause of this during wet season is the varieties planted. Some are more prone to cracking than the other.
SOLUTION
• Use recommended varieties
3. BLOSSOM END ROT
This looks more like a disease related problem but spending your money a fungicide and pesticide is just like flogging a dead... (IF YOU ENJOY THIS ARTICLE READ THE REST ON www.hybridveggies.com and would see indigenous and authentic pictures (of each case study) gotten through our experiences of farming)
Re: Seven Things That May Happen To Your Tomato Fruits This Wet Season And The Cure by hybridveggies(m): 4:33am On Jun 02, 2016
Hello friends, Please don't go into vegetable farming thinking everything would happen by chance. Learn at least the basic. Go through our articles for free on NL and by visiting www.hybridveggies.com YOU WON'T REGRET IT I PROMISED. Nobody told us all these for free when we started.
Re: Seven Things That May Happen To Your Tomato Fruits This Wet Season And The Cure by hybridveggies(m): 6:11am On Jun 03, 2016
Our writing skill is natural and researches extremely indigenous. Visit www.hybridveggies.com to learn on veggies biz and also make request on what particular area you want article on. Thanks
Re: Seven Things That May Happen To Your Tomato Fruits This Wet Season And The Cure by fabella(m): 9:07am On Jun 03, 2016
please how can I buy the hybrid tomato seeds. I am in Osun state.
Re: Seven Things That May Happen To Your Tomato Fruits This Wet Season And The Cure by hybridveggies(m): 11:03am On Jun 03, 2016
Acknowledgement of yours. Friend, we realize people rush into vegetable farming with little experience, that is what we stand for , to bridge the gap. However, it would interest me if you go through one of our article in our blog (THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW WHEN CONTEMPLATING VEGETABLE BIZ). In the article, you would see that there are many seeds companies that are common around here in Nigeria. Each producing its own seeds. The question now is:
- which hybrid seeds do you want; determinate or indeterminate?
- Raining season or dry season varieties or all seasons?
- Above all, from which seed company: East-West, Technism, Sygental, Seminis, Continental etc.
We have relationship with quite number of them and also promote their proven seeds. Let us know your specific needs and we can facilitate it.
fabella:
please how can I buy the hybrid tomato seeds. I am in Osun state.
Re: Seven Things That May Happen To Your Tomato Fruits This Wet Season And The Cure by fabella(m): 8:27pm On Jun 03, 2016
Thanks for the reply. I just want to try my hands on tomatoes and pepper on One plot of land close to me ( I want to start small on this experimental plot). I hope to plant in September. I want hybrid seeds that you know are good. Thanks
Re: Seven Things That May Happen To Your Tomato Fruits This Wet Season And The Cure by fabella(m): 8:42pm On Jun 03, 2016
Lest I forget I would like to tell you that I have actually read all the articles on your website
Re: Seven Things That May Happen To Your Tomato Fruits This Wet Season And The Cure by hybridveggies(m): 9:40pm On Jun 05, 2016
fabella:
Lest I forget I would like to tell you that I have actually read all the articles on your website
Hello Fabella, it took us a while to answer yours. Sorry for that. Hybrids seeds that are good? Well, we always try not to be partisan at least openly. There are many seeds companies reps who might be viewing this post and mentioning or blacklisting some seeds make such people feel bad. Hybrids seeds are all good but seemingly better than each other with same seed quantity from different companies having extreme price difference. Please whatapp us on 08131665289 to get good brands recommendation. You may also be interested in a FREE transplanting exercise around your axis Osun state where you stand to gain alot as a veggies newbie. Visit the business support section under SERVICE on our site to get more details. www.hybridveggies.com

(1) (Reply)

Fresh Eggs For Sale / Salted Peanut Roasting Machine / Poultry Equipment At Farmergiant Nigeria Limited. Call 09094538736

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.