Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,908 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

Bethany Hamilton Finishes Third In Surfing Despite One Arm In Shark Attack - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Bethany Hamilton Finishes Third In Surfing Despite One Arm In Shark Attack (368 Views)

2018 Winter Olympics: Simidele Adeagbo Finishes In 55.17s For Skeleton T / Hamilton Finishes Behind Bottas In Abu Dhabi Grand Prix / Chierika Ukogu, Coco, Finishes 20th At Rio Olympics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Bethany Hamilton Finishes Third In Surfing Despite One Arm In Shark Attack by Ivreke: 8:22am On May 31, 2016
One-armed surfer Bethany Hamilton finished a career-best third in the World Surf League's Fiji Women's Pro.
The 26-year-old's left arm was bitten off in a shark attack in 2003.
The Hawaiian beat six-time world champion Stephanie Gilmore and world number one Tyler Wright before losing to the winner, France's Johanne Defay, in the semi-finals.
She tweeted: "Beyond stoked to finish 3rd... as the wildcard! LOVED competing & looking forward to more adventures."
It is the sixth time Hamilton, who had a child last year, has competed on the elite level World Surf League tour, with her trip to the semi-finals seeing her surpass her previous best finish of ninth in 2010.
Hamilton was 13 when a huge tiger shark mauled her, causing her to lose 60% of her blood after it ripped off her arm.
But she was back on a board less than a month after the near-fatal attack, with her story later inspiring the 2011 Hollywood film "Soul Surfer" featuring Dennis Quaid and Helen Hunt.
Hamilton embarked on intensive physical therapy and strengthening exercises to adjust her balance and movements to compensate for the missing arm.
The only concession made to her handicap is a handle on the surfboard, which allows her to duck-dive under approaching waves when she paddles out.
"I know I'm in a unique position to hopefully encourage young girls to chase their dreams," she added.
"Even after losing my arm I'm still doing everything I hoped I could do. I'm a reminder for young girls that you can do it if you set your mind to it."

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Win Big With Goalrush Tips / Relive The Moments Real Madrid Claimed 11th European Glory And More Today On Hit / Are You An Agent,get Universal Virtual Games For Free.learn How

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.