Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,922 members, 7,821,233 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

Buhari Inherited A 'heavy Baggage' From GEJ – Soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Inherited A 'heavy Baggage' From GEJ – Soyinka (720 Views)

Extracts From GEJ 2015 Speach On Lagos Rally That Nailed APC / Lekki Flooded After A Heavy Rainfall In Lagos State Today (Photos) / Buhari Inherited N600bn Oil Marketers’ Debt, Says FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Inherited A 'heavy Baggage' From GEJ – Soyinka by dmltoyin(m): 9:39am On May 31, 2016
Wole Soyinka, Nobel laureate and Nigerian playwright, has said that the administration of the former president Goodluck Jonnathan left a “heavy baggage” and “burden”. He noted that it would take time for President Muhammadu Buhari to clear the rot he inherited from his predecessor.

The Nation reports that Soyinka expressed his opinion speaking at a public lecture titled “Politics, Culture and the New Africa” held in Johannesburg, South Africa.

“This (Buhari) administration has inherited a heavy baggage. While I am critical in some aspects of the priority, I think that to clear up the mess left by previous administrations is going to take quite a while, especially in the economy sector. So, I don’t use words like optimism or pessimism; I’m just pragmatic. I look at what is on the ground and, of course, wherever I can intervene, I do both privately and publicly,” he said.

Another renowned author Professor Kole Omotoso said that the president and his administration were going in the right direction. However, he added that Buhari must intensify his effort to alleviate sufferings of Nigerians.

“We are going in the right direction but in the process, we need to do so many things. We need to look at not just the suffering of the people but the way people seem to indulge in bearing suffering. It is as if even if you try to solve the problem for them they will prefer to be suffering and smiling,” he said.

A few weeks ago, Soyinka criticized the presidency for its inability to stop the continual attacks of Fulani herdsmen.

According to him, the President Buhari-led administration was yet to come up with an articulate solution to tackle the menace.

“I have yet to hear this government articulate a firm policy of non-tolerance for the serial massacres that have become the nation’s identification stamp.

“I have not heard an order given that any cattle herders caught with sophisticated firearms be instantly disarmed, arrested, placed on trial, and his cattle confiscated,” he said.
Naij.com

Re: Buhari Inherited A 'heavy Baggage' From GEJ – Soyinka by olaboy001(m): 9:40am On May 31, 2016
Re: Buhari Inherited A 'heavy Baggage' From GEJ – Soyinka by peleson: 9:40am On May 31, 2016
Just keep mute and stop the blame game
Re: Buhari Inherited A 'heavy Baggage' From GEJ – Soyinka by Femiartalade(m): 9:42am On May 31, 2016
Have you blamed GEJ today?

#turntoyourneighbourand blame Gej

On a serious note......APC chieftains should stop this blame game and start work....
Gov.ambode of Lagos state...became the governor of Lagos state and didn't blame any one

He moved on and refuse to blame anyone

Has anyone seen what Lagos is becoming?

#smallDubai
Re: Buhari Inherited A 'heavy Baggage' From GEJ – Soyinka by Akkord4gov: 9:48am On May 31, 2016
Nigerians are hungry and at d sametime angry. This Soyinka and others shouldd be careful because sooner or later people will resort to stoning them if this suffering continues

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Inherited A 'heavy Baggage' From GEJ – Soyinka by olaboy001(m): 9:50am On May 31, 2016
You wonder what will make Bayelsa owe 4 months salaries when Sokoto to Borno don't owe a single month.
Re: Buhari Inherited A 'heavy Baggage' From GEJ – Soyinka by HERSLEY(f): 9:51am On May 31, 2016
Speaking from both sides of the mouth

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Inherited A 'heavy Baggage' From GEJ – Soyinka by Baawaa(m): 9:53am On May 31, 2016
Wole Soyinka, Nobel laureate and Nigerian playwright, has said that the administration of the former president Goodluck Jonnathan left a “heavy baggage” and “burden”. He noted that it would take time for President Muhammadu Buhari to clear the rot he inherited from his predecessor.
Time,that is Nigerians problem,we are waiting
Re: Buhari Inherited A 'heavy Baggage' From GEJ – Soyinka by appini: 10:12am On May 31, 2016
Soyinka should stop deceiving himself. Nothing wrong in calling a spade a spade; Buhari is a confused man.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Inherited A 'heavy Baggage' From GEJ – Soyinka by DickDastardly(m): 10:13am On May 31, 2016
angry
Re: Buhari Inherited A 'heavy Baggage' From GEJ – Soyinka by Luckylife(m): 10:57am On May 31, 2016
Why wouldn't he support the government now that his bread has been butter, Lagos government give him appointment to head one organisations recently.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Inherited A 'heavy Baggage' From GEJ – Soyinka by cpapa: 11:03am On May 31, 2016
this old man go and sit down
Re: Buhari Inherited A 'heavy Baggage' From GEJ – Soyinka by GeeOh(f): 11:17am On May 31, 2016
finally he has found his lost voice,oshisko nigeria ltd
Re: Buhari Inherited A 'heavy Baggage' From GEJ – Soyinka by Chiaka(f): 11:22am On May 31, 2016
All Propaganda Congress - APC
APC! - Shame! APC! - Shame!

(1) (Reply)

How President Buhari Averted Disaster In Ogoni Land! / Support Peaceful Protest And Not Vandalism / FG Yet To Set Up Mechanism For Ogoni Cleanup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.