Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,130 members, 7,821,871 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:36 PM

I Am Getting A GSD - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / I Am Getting A GSD (2709 Views)

25k or exchange with a gsd pup of either sex / I Was Sold A Local Dog Instead Of A Gsd/cauc Cross Breed Advice. / I Need Some To Help Me With A Gsd Pup For 15k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Getting A GSD by Realmcfynest: 2:45pm On May 31, 2016
Hi guys, in few days, my german shepherd will be home.

I dont have a cage, he is still a pup, about 5 weeks old. I was thinking, can it stay in my room? As a parlor dog or it will be disastrous?

I got no experience with dogs, aside a local dog we once had.

Note- i stay in a mini flat(room and parlor self-contained).

Thanks.
Re: I Am Getting A GSD by Lavendra(f): 3:26pm On May 31, 2016
I'll tell you my experience, I presently have a Samoyed I live in a self con, I'm a student in school, though she is a very calm dog, she doesn't tear things, doesn't scatter or chew or break things I meet my house the same way I left it. but what troubles me is that I have to keep packing poop and mopping pee everywhere that is what you should be prepared for, the poop and pee... that's what I'm passing through, so what I'm trying to say is that it's possible to keep the German Shepard indoor with you but be prepared your dog temperament might be different from mine he might be the type that scatters everything but I believe you can handle all that.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Getting A GSD by Realmcfynest: 5:41pm On May 31, 2016
Lavendra:
I'll tell you my experience, I presently have a Samoyed I live in a self con, I'm a student in school, though she is a very calm dog, she doesn't tear things, doesn't scatter or chew or break things I meet my house the same way I left it. but what troubles me is that I have to keep packing poop and mopping pee everywhere that is what you should be prepared for, the poop and pee... that's what I'm passing through, so what I'm trying to say is that it's possible to keep the German Shepard indoor with you but be prepared your dog temperament might be different from mine he might be the type that scatters everything but I believe you can handle all that.

Then i can keep him in ma toilet.....
Re: I Am Getting A GSD by nairacountry(m): 12:51pm On Jun 01, 2016
To butres Lavendra's points, I will suggest you have him in d house (you cant tame it to the toilet 24/7) for up to 2*3months then later get him a cage.
Reason : you can't control it to a place and the pee has a stench your room will possess (mine, plus fur everywhere being an Lhasa Apso).

The future consequences is that the dog would/should have hours of play around your compound (not 24/7 in d cage) coz it has been used to moving around.

BottomLINE is that if you want bond, keep it in d house BUT if you don't have compound, start with cage for the dog right away so it will be used to it

1 Like

Re: I Am Getting A GSD by Realmcfynest: 8:56am On Jun 02, 2016
nairacountry:
To butres Lavendra's points, I will suggest you have him in d house (you cant tame it to the toilet 24/7) for up to 2*3months then later get him a cage.
Reason : you can't control it to a place and the pee has a stench your room will possess (mine, plus fur everywhere being an Lhasa Apso).

The future consequences is that the dog would/should have hours of play around your compound (not 24/7 in d cage) coz it has been used to moving around.

BottomLINE is that if you want bond, keep it in d house BUT if you don't have compound, start with cage for the dog right away so it will be used to it

Oh ok. Thanks.... Would get a cage. Please you know any local food source aside their noodles and bone?
Re: I Am Getting A GSD by Realmcfynest: 8:56am On Jun 02, 2016
Lavendra:

Thanks, whaT about the feeding?
Re: I Am Getting A GSD by CertifiedSamuel: 7:19am On Jun 03, 2016
Realmcfynest:

I dont have a cage, he is still a pup, about 5 weeks old. I was thinking, can it stay in my room? As a parlor dog or it will be disastrous?

Thanks.

Hello, first I need to ask, is the puppy's dam still alive and healthy? If yes, it isn't advisable to adopt a puppy at 5 weeks old. The recommended time frame is 7 weeks upwards. 8 weeks is even more appropriate.

This is because the pup needs to be nurtured by the mum. The pup also needs to learn some behaviours and those can best be taught by the dam accompanied by the siblings.

More so, as Lavendra rightly stated, your primary concern should be packing poops and cleaning pees. If u think that would be too much work, then you probably shouldn't get the puppy yet.

To answer your first question, YES. Your dog can stay indoor. As a matter of fact, as a puppy, it's better she stays indoors so she wouldn't be exposed to too much temperature.

I currently have 4 dogs (1 adult samoyed, 1 puppy samoyed (2 months old), 1 hybrid (2 months old), one pure Rotts (4 months old). They all stay indoors with me. The adult samoyed doesn't pee or poo indoor cos I've taught her how not to.

The Rotts sometimes still pees indoor by accident but barely poos indoor (he is still undergoing house training). The two puppies can poo and pee in the house anywhere, anytime they like as if we both pay the bills. Mtcheeeew! Am still watching them in 3D sha.

I pack poops n clean pees up to 10 times daily courtesy of the two pups and trust me, the experience ain't pleasurable. Not one bit! So, if you ain't ready for that challenge, i'd suggest u relax for a while till the pup is a lil older.

To answer your second questn regarding feeding, as a pup who isn't even up to 4 months, her feeding should be solely dog food. That of cos, is if you want the best for your pup.

Lavendra, glad you've finally got your samoyed. Hope she's doing well and you are taking care of her the best way you can?

2 Likes

Re: I Am Getting A GSD by Lavendra(f): 9:01am On Jun 03, 2016
CertifiedSamuel:

Hello, first I need to ask, is the puppy's dam still alive and healthy? If yes, it isn't advisable to adopt a puppy at 5 weeks old. The recommended time frame is 7 weeks upwards. 8 weeks is even more appropriate.

This is because the pup needs to be nurtured by the mum. The pup also needs to learn some behaviours and those can best be taught by the dam accompanied by the siblings.

More so, as Lavendra rightly stated, your primary concern should be packing poops and cleaning pees. If u think that would be too much work, then you probably shouldn't get the puppy yet.

To answer your first question, YES. Your dog can stay indoor. As a matter of fact, as a puppy, it's better she stays indoors so she wouldn't be exposed to too much temperature.

I currently have 4 dogs (1 adult samoyed, 1 puppy samoyed (2 months old), 1 hybrid (2 months old), one pure Rotts (4 months old). They all stay indoors with me. The adult samoyed doesn't pee or poo indoor cos I've taught her how not to.

The Rotts sometimes still pees indoor by accident but barely poos indoor (he is still undergoing house training). The two puppies can poo and pee in the house anywhere, anytime they like as if we both pay the bills. Mtcheeeew! Am still watching them in 3D sha.

I pack poops n clean pees up to 10 times daily courtesy of the two pups and trust me, the experience ain't pleasurable. Not one bit! So, if you ain't ready for that challenge, i'd suggest u relax for a while till the pup is a lil older.

To answer your second questn regarding feeding, as a pup who isn't even up to 4 months, her feeding should be solely dog food. That of cos, is if you want the best for your pup.

Lavendra, glad you've finally got your samoyed. Hope she's doing well and you are taking care of her the best way you can?

yes sorry I've been trying to reply you on that post but they keep saying insufficient permission I wonder what that means, yes I have gotten her, she is tiny I guess that's her normal size... I'll tell you, packing poo and pee isn't a funny thing at all, I've suffered, all the same I'm even thinking of sending her to my parents house in ph so that whenever I go back home I'll be seeing her, I don't know what else to do, and she keeps selecting food, and fur is all over my room, and again she gives me sleepless nights sometimes then I have to take her to the balcony she keeps crying me I dunno again... but for now I've been taking care of her...
Re: I Am Getting A GSD by Lavendra(f): 9:13am On Jun 03, 2016
CertifiedSamuel:

yes sorry I've been trying to reply you on that post but they keep saying insufficient permission I wonder what that means, yes I have gotten her, she is tiny I guess that's her normal size... I'll tell you, packing poo and pee isn't a funny thing at all, I've suffered, all the same I'm even thinking of sending her to my parents house in ph so that whenever I go back home I'll be seeing her, I don't know what else to do, and she keeps selecting food, and fur is all over my room, and again she gives me sleepless nights sometimes then I have to take her to the balcony she keeps crying me I dunno again... but for now I've been taking care of her...

Re: I Am Getting A GSD by laivwire(m): 9:16am On Jun 03, 2016
Realmcfynest:

Thanks.

As claimed, get ready for poo at the beginning but you can potty train the dog with time. GSDs are intelligent dogs and with consistency you will get there. I have a rott myself and He doesn't pee just anywhere. Although I have a large compound he pees and poos on one exact spot in the compound which is a bare patch of land round the back.

What you need is consistency with practices and timing. Also use a lot or praise. Till date, I have never raised my hand or my voice at my boy and he is always ready to please.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Getting A GSD by atoleybaba(m): 11:54am On Jun 03, 2016
You can train your dog on when and where it can pee and poo. So soiling ur apartment might not be much trouble. Buh few weeks of bringing him in, he could pee and poo in ur house Buh d more you train it, the more he knows he can't pee and poo in the house. How do I meaning training? By having a specific time of taking him out or d bathroom to do his business. Doing so will build ur dog sense not to soil d house so he won't poo or wee in the apartment. Like my rotties, tho they stay in the cage they don't usually wee or poo in it....they hold it till when we bring them out and if we don't bring them out, they bark and scratch d cage door and if we still don't let them out, they soil their kennel. Sorry for d long epistle Buh my point is when u get her, take her to where ever u want her to do her business at a specific time in d morning and evening do this regularly and u won't av issue of packing shit in ur apartment. When he soils d apartment, scold him and make him know that d behaviour is not allow. Never make d mistake of petting him when he soils d apartment..lavendra u too can get something from this

1 Like

Re: I Am Getting A GSD by CertifiedSamuel: 7:01pm On Jun 03, 2016
Lavendra:

Lol... Trust me, I know how you feel. I mean, I pack and clean those of two pups every single day. Yours' just one. grin

Here's the good news, I recall u saying she's an adult. If that's true, potty training her shouldn't be a biggy. It will only require consistency and dedication.

My adult female samoyed doesn't poo or pee indoors. Amongst all my dogs, she's d only one I can leave home for hours and be confident that she wouldn't mess up.

You can start by monitoring her more closely. Whenever you just finish feeding her, take her outside to go pee and poo. Whenever she just wakes up from sleep, do the same. Whenever u want to play with her, do it outside.

Dogs, most often at times, pee and poo after eating, sleeping and when they get too excited. Now, whenever she pees and poos outside, immediately give her a treat or praise her by petting her very well. That makes her understands she's doing the right thing.

Regarding her furs everywhere, unfortunately u can't change that. Samoyeds shed a lot. However, u can reduce the shedding and that's by grooming her daily or at least, twice weekly.

Regarding her feeding, it's just so sad that Samoyeds are very picky and that can be very annoying. Most times, I literally have to lock the adult Samoyed in the cage with her food before she eats it. My rott and hybrid on the other hand, are heavy eaters. The diamond kibbles I bought barely 2 weeks back is almost finished. Thanks to those guys.

But then, hope u usually mix fish in her meals? If no, please do. Always mix her meals with fish or meat. More so, always give her vitamin tablet once a day.

Taking care of a dog ain't an easy task. It gets more tasky if the dog stays indoors with him. But then, dogs are adorable and they deserve to be cared for. Picture her as your baby. If you can take care of a dog, you should be able to treat a baby better when you eventually have a child of yours smiley

Just like you, I sometimes wish I could just send my dogs home but then, I just can't imagine myself without a dog. And when I have a dog, I always want to give him/her a playing mate and the need for another dog arises.

Just go with the tips I pointed out above. With dedication, time and consistency, you would be happy you actually have a dog to yourself.

Extra tip: stay off any insecticide or any poisonous substance. Take them completely out of your zone. You certainly wouldn't want to harm your dog.
Re: I Am Getting A GSD by Lavendra(f): 9:56pm On Jun 03, 2016
CertifiedSamuel:

Lol... Trust me, I know how you feel. I mean, I pack and clean those of two pups every single day. Yours' just one. grin

Here's the good news, I recall u saying she's an adult. If that's true, potty training her shouldn't be a biggy. It will only require consistency and dedication.

My adult female samoyed doesn't poo or pee indoors. Amongst all my dogs, she's d only one I can leave home for hours and be confident that she wouldn't mess up.

You can start by monitoring her more closely. Whenever you just finish feeding her, take her outside to go pee and poo. Whenever she just wakes up from sleep, do the same. Whenever u want to play with her, do it outside.

Dogs, most often at times, pee and poo after eating, sleeping and when they get too excited. Now, whenever she pees and poos outside, immediately give her a treat or praise her by petting her very well. That makes her understands she's doing the right thing.

Regarding her furs everywhere, unfortunately u can't change that. Samoyeds shed a lot. However, u can reduce the shedding and that's by grooming her daily or at least, twice weekly.

Regarding her feeding, it's just so sad that Samoyeds are very picky and that can be very annoying. Most times, I literally have to lock the adult Samoyed in the cage with her food before she eats it. My rott and hybrid on the other hand, are heavy eaters. The diamond kibbles I bought barely 2 weeks back is almost finished. Thanks to those guys.

But then, hope u usually mix fish in her meals? If no, please do. Always mix her meals with fish or meat. More so, always give her vitamin tablet once a day.

Taking care of a dog ain't an easy task. It gets more tasky if the dog stays indoors with him. But then, dogs are adorable and they deserve to be cared for. Picture her as your baby. If you can take care of a dog, you should be able to treat a baby better when you eventually have a child of yours smiley

Just like you, I sometimes wish I could just send my dogs home but then, I just can't imagine myself without a dog. And when I have a dog, I always want to give him/her a playing mate and the need for another dog arises.

Just go with the tips I pointed out above. With dedication, time and consistency, you would be happy you actually have a dog to yourself.

Extra tip: stay off any insecticide or any poisonous substance. Take them completely out of your zone. You certainly wouldn't want to harm your dog.

yes, but as a student I don't have much time to be taking her out when I have 8am class... or even if the evenings. I only take her on morning walks... yes she is a picky eater I mix everything I give her with meat or fish she starts picking out the meat to eat first... the food and everything, I think She'll be better off at home with a big compound to roam about in... my youngest brother would take good care of her and I can also go home to see her... she'll be fine. what kind of vitamins I had to spray raid tonight the kind of mosquitoes that bit me yesterday eh... I left her at the balcony where she won't perceive it, and that's where she'll sleep...

1 Like

Re: I Am Getting A GSD by miremoses(m): 10:14pm On Jun 03, 2016
Lavendra:

yes, but as a student I don't have much time to be taking her out when I have 8am class... or even if the evenings. I only take her on morning walks... yes she is a picky eater I mix everything I give her with meat or fish she starts picking out the meat to eat first... the food and everything, I think She'll be better off at home with a big compound to roam about in... my youngest brother would take good care of her and I can also go home to see her... she'll be fine. what kind of vitamins I had to spray raid tonight the kind of mosquitoes that bit me yesterday eh... I left her at the balcony where she won't perceive it, and that's where she'll sleep...
insecticide is a NO NO to dogs,dogs tend to perceive things quicker than human,I would suggest u keep ur dog away from that,cos once ur dog perceives,she starts to vomit and would loss weight immediately(from experience). and if something is not done quickly, u might loss ur dog,so be careful on how u use it in an area where u dog is.

about your dog's appetite.
the best thing to do is to get ur dog exhausted, @make her run around,play fetch and when she's tired get her water to drink,after that she would want to rest/sleep..when she is done,that's the moment to feed her.
but if u don't have time for what I said above,give her the food and lock her up,if u find out she's not eatin,just leave the food with her,when hungers knacks her enough,she will come around.
that's my method.

1 Like

Re: I Am Getting A GSD by Lavendra(f): 5:20pm On Jun 04, 2016
miremoses:
insecticide is a NO NO to dogs,dogs tend to perceive things quicker than human,I would suggest u keep ur dog away from that,cos once ur dog perceives,she starts to vomit and would loss weight immediately(from experience). and if something is not done quickly, u might loss ur dog,so be careful on how u use it in an area where u dog is.

about your dog's appetite.
the best thing to do is to get ur dog exhausted, @make her run around,play fetch and when she's tired get her water to drink,after that she would want to rest/sleep..when she is done,that's the moment to feed her.
but if u don't have time for what I said above,give her the food and lock her up,if u find out she's not eatin,just leave the food with her,when hungers knacks her enough,she will come around.
that's my method.

thanks buddy
Re: I Am Getting A GSD by CertifiedSamuel: 11:28pm On Jun 04, 2016
Lavendra:

OK Lavendra. Wish u all the very best.
Re: I Am Getting A GSD by Realmcfynest: 1:44pm On Jun 05, 2016
atoleybaba:
You can train your dog on when and where it can pee and poo. So soiling ur apartment might not be much trouble. Buh few weeks of bringing him in, he could pee and poo in ur house Buh d more you train it, the more he knows he can't pee and poo in the house. How do I meaning training? By having a specific time of taking him out or d bathroom to do his business. Doing so will build ur dog sense not to soil d house so he won't poo or wee in the apartment. Like my rotties, tho they stay in the cage they don't usually wee or poo in it....they hold it till when we bring them out and if we don't bring them out, they bark and scratch d cage door and if we still don't let them out, they soil their kennel. Sorry for d long epistle Buh my point is when u get her, take her to where ever u want her to do her business at a specific time in d morning and evening do this regularly and u won't av issue of packing shit in ur apartment. When he soils d apartment, scold him and make him know that d behaviour is not allow. Never make d mistake of petting him when he soils d apartment..lavendra u too can get something from this

Ok thanks.... Duly noted.... Just wondering, when i take him to where he will do his business, how do i tell him to wee or poo...
Re: I Am Getting A GSD by atoleybaba(m): 7:59pm On Jun 05, 2016
Realmcfynest:

Ok thanks.... Duly noted.... Just wondering, when i take him to where he will do his business, how do i tell him to wee or poo...
if he feels like he will do it just bring him out let him stay out for 5-10mins he will def. Do what he wants to do...Buh make sure d time is consistent..maybe 7 or 8 in the morning and 4 or 5 in d evening each day

1 Like

Re: I Am Getting A GSD by Realmcfynest: 2:05pm On Jun 06, 2016
atoleybaba:
if he feels like he will do it just bring him out let him stay out for 5-10mins he will def. Do what he wants to do...Buh make sure d time is consistent..maybe 7 or 8 in the morning and 4 or 5 in d evening each day

Ohok... Thanks, can i bathe him with only water? Don't want him reacting to shampoos.
Re: I Am Getting A GSD by atoleybaba(m): 2:27pm On Jun 06, 2016
Realmcfynest:

Ohok... Thanks, can i bathe him with only water? Don't want him reacting to shampoos.
well I don't know the kind of shampoo you are talking bawt but if it is recommended for dogs. You can use it but make sure the pup doesn't get the shampoo in it mouth. So when bathing her with soap or shampoo, make sure it mouth is sealed
Re: I Am Getting A GSD by atoleybaba(m): 2:27pm On Jun 06, 2016
Realmcfynest:

well I don't know the kind of shampoo you are talking bawt but if it is recommended for dogs. You can use it but make sure the pup doesn't get the shampoo in it mouth. So when bathing her with soap or shampoo, make sure it mouth is sealed

1 Like

Re: I Am Getting A GSD by Lavendra(f): 6:18am On Jun 10, 2016
CertifiedSamuel:

OK Lavendra. Wish u all the very best.

I couldn't send her home, I decided to keep her with me, I cant imagine staying without her now. now I imagine how you felt when your other dog died...
Re: I Am Getting A GSD by CertifiedSamuel: 8:52pm On Jun 13, 2016
Lavendra:

I couldn't send her home, I decided to keep her with me, I cant imagine staying without her now. now I imagine how you felt when your other dog died...

LoL.... Glad you now know how it feels. I won't be surprised if you intend going a friend for her smiley

Hope she's doing well and BTW, what's her name?

1 Like

Re: I Am Getting A GSD by Lavendra(f): 5:23pm On Jun 14, 2016
CertifiedSamuel:

LoL.... Glad you now know how it feels. I won't be surprised if you intend going a friend for her smiley

Hope she's doing well and BTW, what's her name?

she is fine o, her name is Gwen
Re: I Am Getting A GSD by Lavendra(f): 2:27am On Jul 04, 2016
CertifiedSamuel:

hello dear, it's been a while, could we chat on whatsapp as soon as possible? 08182950134

(1) (Reply)

When A Lion Cheats With A Dog ( Photos ) / Please Everyone, What Can We Call This Animal? / Dog Meat Cures Malaria, Repels Witches – Eaters In Ibusa, Agbor, Ubulu-uku...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.