Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,054 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War (1313 Views)

Militants Split Nigeria Into Five Republics / How Saraki And Friends Will Plunge Nigeria Into Its Next Recession / Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War by kaykay22: 11:18am On Jun 01, 2016
OSOGBO—The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Osun State chapter, yesterday warned President Muhammadu Buhari against acts capable of plunging the country into civil war, saying tampering with the constitutionally guaranteed immunity of governors would spell doom for the country. The party, in a statement issued in Osogbo by its Director of Research, Publicity and Strategy, Prince Diran Odeyemi, urged the President to immediately drop plans to alleged plans to impose travel ban on governors of Rivers and Ekiti states – Nyesom Wike and Ayo Fayose, respectively, saying there was nothing done to Buhari by the duo that Rauf Aregbesola of Osun did not do to Goodluck Jonathan while he was in office. Odeyemi said the same Section 308 of the constitution that gives the President immunity also provides the governors with same leverage, adding that, instead of tinkering with the idea of travel ban on the governors, if any security infraction is noticed, the President should approach the court. Recalling how the PDP Obasanjo-led Federal Government approached the court when the administration of Senator Bola Tinubu created local government areas in Lagos State, Odeyemi opined that adding the salt of travel ban on governors with immunity which is the same as the president, to the injury of constant flouting of court orders by the Buhari administration in the last one year is not portraying the president as a true democrat. The statement reads in part: “Since the news broke of plans by Buhari to ban PDP governors Ayo Fayose and Nyesom Wike from travelling using Department of State Security, DSS, as threat, images of events of the past years have kept on reappearing “We don’t want anything that can truncate this democracy. Attempt to strip two PDP governors of their immunity is capable of enacting civil war .” The party then called on all past leaders to prevail on President Buhari to shelve the idea to save the country of needless tension and constitutional crises
[url][/url]for more stories kleegers.com
Re: Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War by IVORY2009(m): 11:21am On Jun 01, 2016
Military system of govt where we come..... shocked
Frm 2015 - 2019

Chanji shocked
Re: Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War by klassykute(m): 11:22am On Jun 01, 2016
war coming
Re: Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War by Nobody: 11:23am On Jun 01, 2016
Removing immunity will plung the country into civil war?? PDP, why is your life this pathetic? Same immunity that has brought us pains and hardship allowing the corrupt politicians to eat all our yams? Bunch of criminals. Anyone guilty in any party should be jailed!

1 Like

Re: Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War by IVORY2009(m): 11:25am On Jun 01, 2016
modelmike7:
Removing immunity will plung the country into civil war?? PDP, why is your life this pathetic? Same immunity that has brought us pains and hardship allowing the corrupt politicians to eat all our yams? Bunch of criminals. Anyone guilty in any party should be jailed!

Question, why is it dat, it is only now dat the president wants to remove immunity? And would the president also do so to himself, to balance the equation, ur answer is as good as mine NO!

3 Likes

Re: Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War by theEYe21(f): 11:25am On Jun 01, 2016
Buhari doesn't like peace, he enjoys conflict

1 Like

Re: Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War by IVORY2009(m): 11:27am On Jun 01, 2016
theEYe21:
Buhari doesn't like peace, he enjoys conflict

History has it, Buhari is a WAR-LORD, power! power!! power!!! Everything....
Re: Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War by Nobody: 11:28am On Jun 01, 2016
IVORY2009:

Question, why is it dat, it is only now dat the president wants to remove immunity? And would the president also do so to himself, to balance the equation, ur answer is as good as mine NO!
..... Why won't he do the same to himself? I think I can only see 'Governors' in the write up tho.
Re: Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War by theEYe21(f): 11:29am On Jun 01, 2016
IVORY2009:

History has it, Buhari is a WAR-LORD, power! power!! power!!! Everything....
Re: Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War by IVORY2009(m): 11:33am On Jun 01, 2016
modelmike7:
..... Why won't he do the same to himself? I think I can only see 'Governors' in the write up tho.

If he wants to ban governors, he should lead by example, dat is wat I meant.
Re: Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War by Ekakamba: 11:34am On Jun 01, 2016
The ban should be on the President. lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War by Flexherbal(m): 11:39am On Jun 01, 2016
Than ban should extend to all the governors.

1 Like

Re: Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War by eleojo23: 11:41am On Jun 01, 2016
Na wa o.
The way people mention civil anyhow as if it is a child's play eh.
Hmmm...
Re: Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War by menstrualpad: 11:51am On Jun 01, 2016
go and fight ur civil war nonsense....werrin cosign Ekiti people/workers who have not been paid this year....shingbain....shishi no tata 4 yanyan
Re: Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War by kutchs: 11:54am On Jun 01, 2016
modelmike7:
The immunity clause isn't the President's to remove, he has no such powers. It's a constitutional matter which can only be removed by an act of parliament through constitutional amendment.
Buhari has no right restricting the freedom of anyone who hasn't committed any offence or charged with any.
People close to him should warn him against doing such as it surely will lewd to disastrous consequences.
Re: Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War by delightz(m): 11:56am On Jun 01, 2016
Let the change come and stay grin

Re: Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War by menstrualpad: 11:59am On Jun 01, 2016
It is a welcome decision..... at least it won't be for only some governors...

IVORY2009:

Re: Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War by Nature8(m): 12:08pm On Jun 01, 2016
Flexherbal:
Than ban should extend to all the governors.

And the president too.. undecided
Re: Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War by idupaul: 12:24pm On Jun 01, 2016
so because there is a travel ban on one governor there will be civil war, billions of dollar was looted yet ther was no civil war, thousands are killed by corruption daily yet no civil war but there will civil war because a governor is stopped from embarking on a meaningless trip.. OP mind yourself oooooooo

1 Like

Re: Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War by Blizzy9ja: 12:29pm On Jun 01, 2016
This old senile president has turned our constitution to a piece of sh!t
Re: Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War by calmdude(m): 3:19pm On Jun 01, 2016
Does this man think we e are still operating under military regime and Btw why is he witch hunting PDP governors. Did APC governors not do worse under the last administration, he should face the economic crisis in the country and leave unnecessary issues be: after all there is no government without its very vocal critics
Re: Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War by toolovely(m): 4:10pm On Jun 01, 2016
idupaul:
so because there is a travel ban on one governor there will be civil war, billions of dollar was looted yet ther was no civil war, thousands are killed by corruption daily yet no civil war but there will civil war because a governor is stopped from embarking on a meaningless trip.. OP mind yourself oooooooo

the way some of you reason, i doubt if there would be any meaningful progress in this country? the president has no constitutional or civil powers or whatsoever to strip any gov his immunity as doing so flouts the constitution. we should once condemn evil no matter who's involved. your likes are here shouting pdp misruled this country and same people are cheering an open disregard for the constitution and you tell me you guys reason well.
Re: Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War by idupaul: 4:14pm On Jun 01, 2016
toolovely:

the way some of you reason, i doubt if there would be any meaningful progress in this country? the president has no constitutional or civil powers or whatsoever to strip any gov his immunity as doing so flouts the constitution. we should once condemn evil no matter who's involved. your likes are here shouting pdp misruled this country and same people are cheering an open disregard for the constitution and you tell me you guys reason well.

I AM not in support of executive impunity but I am saying even if it happen it will not cause any civil war the only thing that will happen is the governor will go to court to uphold his rights

1 Like

Re: Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War by Splinz(m): 4:52pm On Jun 01, 2016
I want to believe Buhari wouldn't be that mad to tread that dangerous path.
Re: Travel Ban On Govs Could Plunge Nigeria Into Civil War by keally: 5:12pm On Jun 01, 2016
modelmike7:
. Olodo, must you comment, even when you don't know the meaning of immunity? Do U think ur president has the power to remove the immunity of the Governors? Sorry oo. The same constitution that gives him immunity is the same for the Governors. Do you understand? Any question?

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Is Already Divided. See Proof!! / Those Calling For Return Of Biafra Were Not Born During The Civil War – Buhari / Edo On The Go---- Vote Godwin Obaseki As The Next Governor Of Edo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.