Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,478 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:55 PM

Street Begging Banned In Plateau - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Street Begging Banned In Plateau (3234 Views)

Ayade Begging To Join APC — Chieftain / Fayose Blasts Obasanjo For Always Begging For Political Favours / Soldiers Murder 30 Innocent Civillians In Plateau (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Street Begging Banned In Plateau by bilymuse: 3:39pm On Aug 24, 2009
[size=15pt]Street begging banned in Plateau [/size]
Commissioner

August 23, 2009 05:17PM

Angela Miri, the Plateau State Commissioner for Education said on Sunday that Gov. Jonah Jang's administration has banned street begging in the state. Ms Miri said in an interview in Abuja, that the governor had ensured that the practice, which allowed children of school age to go about begging in the streets in the name of ‘almajiri' had been stopped. According to her, Plateau is backward in education but the current administration is addressing the problem with vigour.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/National/5447280-147/Street_begging_banned_in_Plateau_-Commissioner.csp
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by Nobody: 6:13pm On Aug 24, 2009
Gbam! Now they have began ta see reazons and the need ta eliminate and totally eradicate streetz begging, then they allow their poeple and them poor masses ta travel all the way ta the South West where they engage in begging as an occupation.
What is ever with some of these Northern state imo. angry
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by Nobody: 6:15pm On Aug 24, 2009
Gbam! Now they have began ta see reazons and the need ta eliminate and totally eradicate streetz begging, then they allow their poeple and them poor masses ta travel all the way ta the South West where they engage in begging as an occupation.
What is ever with some of these Northern state imo. angry
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by nex(m): 6:18pm On Aug 24, 2009
They should ferry all the beggars to the Outskirt of Kaduna State.
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by sjeezy8: 7:57pm On Aug 24, 2009
Until the government steps up and actually does something about the poverty rates in Nigeria, I see no problem with banning people who are beggars on the street. (just like lagos)

It is better to stay in your village and farm than to beg in the city where COST OF LIVING IS HIGHER.
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by bawomolo(m): 8:44pm On Aug 24, 2009
I doubt they would be able to enforce this.
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by udezue(m): 9:03pm On Aug 24, 2009
Why? Bawo
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by Tsiya(m): 9:14pm On Aug 24, 2009
The problem with our governments is fire brigate approach. Sometimes, ppl should understand in a country like Nigeria where there is no Benefits/Social Security or welfare, street begging is a necessity for many Nigerians. I do know that there are some that have turned it to all time profession rather than a temporary inconvinience, but governments shouldnt just start something that they cannot sustain. Unless the states introduce something like Social security/Benefits or Food Stamp/Voucher like many countries they cannot STOP total begging.
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by bawomolo(m): 9:47pm On Aug 24, 2009
udezue:

Why? Bawo

who is going to take care of the kids after they are rescued from the almajiri's.

It would take a lot of effort from social workers and the police.
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by nex(m): 9:55pm On Aug 24, 2009
They should capture them and exile them like King Jaja of Opobo.
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by Tsiya(m): 9:57pm On Aug 24, 2009
What the govt should have done is not banned street begging. They should enforce Child protection Laws. Laws that will force parents to provide shelter and food for their children. This is their right. If you can provide for a child, a person have no business giving birth to multiple of children and then send them to street to beg for food
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by THEAMAKA(f): 2:08am On Aug 25, 2009
that means they better start providing free education if they havent already.
where do they expect these people to get money from if there are no jobs to begin with.
OHHH NOO i see the worst coming out of this.

they better have a plan fast to back this up, because so many more people will suffer!!!
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by alaba77: 2:17am On Aug 25, 2009
Why are this looters ( barawo,ole or thief) try to banned begging in the street in first place. Are they not the one that  stealing the beggars money , posing as government. If they can spend only 5% of money or allocation from the Federal government to create job for beggars, i promise we not have any beggars on the street.
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by totalfact(m): 2:54am On Aug 25, 2009
Good gesture!
What of enforcement and impacts!
Government of Plateau now is serious in handling administration,but what next after Jonah Jang!
We believe that,GOV. Jang would ensure that,this would be signed into law,after being passed by the honourable members of the house of assembly. Gbam!
Plateau state deserve progress,considerin its present condition. Things are on standstill now,because of incessant violence,crisis,and other forms inattitude of bad people living in the state.
In fact, crying, can Plateau be like before again?
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by sjeezy8: 3:10am On Aug 25, 2009
THE AMAKA:

that means they better start providing free education if they havent already.
where do they expect these people to get money from if there are no jobs to begin with.
OHHH NOO i see the worst coming out of this.

they better have a plan fast to back this up, because so many more people will suffer!!!

school is free
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by THEAMAKA(f): 3:13am On Aug 25, 2009
sjeezy boo i miss you!
you hate me. embarassed
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by sjeezy8: 3:22am On Aug 25, 2009
THE AMAKA:

sjeezy boo i miss you!
you hate me. embarassed

DUH !!! lol sike naw
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by THEAMAKA(f): 3:25am On Aug 25, 2009
ggrwjht84q3nt493-nbu5t93q86b
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by babapupa: 3:45am On Aug 25, 2009
The Connection,

‘You’re The Best Among Us’—Gov Jang Praises Fashola

The rating of the Lagos state governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola (SAN), went up another notch in faraway Jos, the Plateau state capital, where the Plateau state governor, General Jonah Jang (retd), declared him the best among his counterparts in the country.

Governor Jang, who was speaking while receiving his Lagos state counterpart, who paid him a courtesy visit, declared that, “I must say honestly that I rate you the best among us in terms of development in the states we preside over.” The governor, who noted that there is need for state governors to exchange official visits in order to learn from one another, also requested his visitor to consider extending an invitation to him to enable him pay an official visit to Lagos at a later date, to, in the governor’s words, “take a look at what you are doing.

“We should start paying one another state visits to learn from what each of us is doing. Irrespective of our different political parties, we have a lot to learn from one another,
and I believe, it is not time for politics, as the president said, it is time to work for the nation,” Jang said. According to him, to work effectively for the nation and our different states, “we should be able to exchange ideas by paying one another official visits,” adding that he has already focused his eyes on the areas of revenue generation and security where he would like to tap from Fashola’s wisdom.

“I am watching your revenue generating system very carefully and we are trying to borrow from you by asking those who are working for you to come and look at our own state,” the Plateau state governor said. Also commending Fashola on the success of his security system in Lagos state, Jang declared; “Again, the former I.G., Smith, told me that he was chairman of the security system you set up and today we hardly hear of armed robbery in Lagos state. I agree again that this is what we have to learn from you, aside from physical development.”

Governor Jang, who said he spent 12 years in Lagos during his service years, recalled how difficult Lagos was then in terms of moving from one point to another, and commended his visitor for the tremendous transformation that Lagos state has recorded in many areas, especially in transportation and the environment. Wishing governor Fashola a happy period in the state, the Plateau state governor,, who noted that the National Economic Council (NEC) also has some top military officers as members, expressed delight that, with his wealth of experience as a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, the Lagos state governor will impact on the council membership what democracy is all about.

Earlier in his remarks, governor Fashola told his host that he was in the state on the invitation of the National Institute of Policy and Strategic Studies in Kuru, adding that, “I thought it would be an act of discourtesy to embark on a visit to that institution without extending courtesy to my brother, the governor of Plateau state.” Governor Fashola said the visit also afforded him the opportunity to congratulate his host and the people of Plateau state for the recent installation of the new Gbom Gwom Jos, which he described as “a most respected traditional institution.” Recalling that governor Jang could not attend the NEC meeting in Abuja, on Tuesday, because he was playing host to another very important institution that has helped foster religious tolerance and peaceful coexistence among the people, the Lagos state governor commended his host for the peace existing in the state.

Jang don learn well well from Fashola, grin
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by Nobody: 6:34am On Aug 25, 2009
Laudable move by Jang!
However, it is going to be the 2nd phase of trouble for the physically challenged, the poor, the destitutes and less privileged and also a security threat to Nigeria if jang and his likes does not provide reasonable alternatives.
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by Goldmind1(m): 6:54am On Aug 25, 2009
Nawaooh! These Northerners will soon be finding things tougher. Since all they know is to be marrying multiple wives and making babies, thereby filling the streets of our major cities with beggars. I think Oga Jang has never done bad, he's only rebranding his state and I hope other state Captains would follow suit. I even heard most of the beggars are from Niger Republic, so let them return to their country.
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by jkemzy(m): 7:04am On Aug 25, 2009
This is like treating the sympthoms and not the root cause of the disease. When will our government stop hypocrisy and face reality?
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by elderbros(m): 7:49am On Aug 25, 2009
man must wack
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by bros1234(m): 8:18am On Aug 25, 2009
ban begging?

Then expect more thieves and robbers on our streets
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by mayrho(m): 8:47am On Aug 25, 2009
I think its putting the cart before the horse
make living conditions better
create more jobs
health facility in place
and then ban begging or whatever
Now crime rate will increase
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by steroid: 8:55am On Aug 25, 2009
street begging is more legit than corruption of the highest order
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by remoranger(m): 9:20am On Aug 25, 2009
Dont they have better things to do? undecided undecided

like looting for instance undecided undecided
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by Nezan(m): 9:57am On Aug 25, 2009
steroid:

street begging is more legit than corruption of the highest order
cheesy cheesy
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by ayobase(m): 10:39am On Aug 25, 2009
So, that is the next step in eradicating poverty!

God Bless Nigeria!
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by oge4real(f): 11:08am On Aug 25, 2009
Then what will follow?
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by muhsin(m): 12:11pm On Aug 25, 2009
Good.
Re: Street Begging Banned In Plateau by bilymuse: 1:00pm On Aug 25, 2009
this is strictly an anti Hausa policy.
how can you ban begging when its obvious Hausa's has no other thriving industry except begging PLC.

What do you expect all the Director generals, high and middle ranking officers and almajiri of begging PLC to do.
hope they wont go and form another boko haram

(1) (2) (Reply)

Economic Confidential Portfolio Of Mrs Cecilia Ibru - Release By Efcc / Nigeria Bread Prices To Rise On Higher Wheat Costs, Dangote Flour Says / Boko Haram Burns Classes At Barewa College Zaria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.