Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,101 members, 7,825,486 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:48 PM

MY EPISTLE: Beyond Campaign Promises - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / MY EPISTLE: Beyond Campaign Promises (373 Views)

Has The Buhari Administration Fulfilled Any Of These Campaign Promises? (Picture / 7 Campaign Promises Of Buhari And Osinbajo (Throwback Photo) / We Are Reviewing My Campaign Promises Because Of Resources - Obaseki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

MY EPISTLE: Beyond Campaign Promises by chinedu1nig(m): 11:25am On Jun 02, 2016
MY EPISTLE: Beyond Campaign Promises

So, how do you appeal to the conscience of a PDP champion who never supported the present administration right from the campaign trail and further consolidate with an APC apologist who believed the change promised would be "Magical Science"? Beyond party lines, political differences, ethnicity, religious and moral view, how did we get here?
It is not my intention to engage in rude babble as a matter of my faith, I have over time refrained from pontificating on the political scene. Political argument can be frustrating and daunting but for prevailing circumstances and the interest of folks that finds my assertion fascinating to read, it became obligatory for me to commit these one or two hours to air my view on the present state of governance and by some means defend my stands on the Change I believe in.
With reference to a recent post shared on my LinkedIn page, I doubt the possibility of any other country surviving the corrupted and plundered economy we have endured over years but, due to our resilient nature and strength, we always come stronger and better; we continue to overcome and still enduring regardless of what we face as a country these can only be attributed to the sovereignty of God and his tremendous love in a country as ours.
Recently, a friend sought my take over the state of government and policies being dished to sustain Nigeria at the expense of Nigerians? At first, I thought he was psychoanalyzing me or rather being sarcastic, but his subsequent response alludes to some curiosity and the need for a simple and basic explanation. This friend propelled my desire to pen this piece, and I promise to be brief in establishing my view on some of the most pressing issues we face in recent times.

CORRUPTION

They say, "The truth we won't admit will eventually consume us" and the lack of it truncates economic development. Sincerity in government defines a sustainable system of government, and my question would then be. How sincere have we been to the government in place and to ourselves as citizens? Is Nigeria really suffering from an endemic called corruption? It would be nothing less hypocritical to assume the contrary; we have certified corruption and at length embraced it as a form of policy; permit me to say it has positioned itself as a pivot for our economic assessment. Submerged in this endemic disease that is borne out of greed and quick-fix syndrome, it sends a shiver down my spine to see people bear posters in defense to a case of corrupt officials. Nigeria will not achieve its potentials if we keep celebrating unethical practices regardless of the political, ethnic, and religion divide. Perhaps, there could be questions on what are the rationales behind such claims; I would rather allow it to be a question of conscience to every Nigerian. It's also not a deliberate act to project her in a negative light, but we have to admit what the situation looks like to enable us to find a lasting solution to it. On the economy, we have believed lies of GDP and statistics built on the false assessment for too long. Corruption was driving the economy as the working capital while petrol-dollars gave us an artificial sense of insularity.

On IPOB

It beats my imagination to read and listen to some of the reasons we clamor for secession, honestly; it's a case of plunging the region into another phase of reset. Subtly channeling our agitation in the right direction, but we are confident that in the face of possible odds, people who love their country would change it. Being availed the opportunity of listening to the Radio Biafra and some individuals who have aligned to such movement, I can clearly depict a narcissistic agitation to garner popularity and maintain relevance at all cost, playing the drums of war and subjecting the region to the cause that claimed millions of lives. No doubt, there is every constitutional right to an assembly but when it lacks subject of concession, it becomes stupidity. We have the absolute right to air genuine grievances and demand why impacts of the government from the LGA to the Federal Government are not felt but call for a session at a critical time as these are bad laws and wrong move that wouldn't do anyone good. It's important to know the reasons why we feel marginalized and constructively exact our point's home in the unity of peace. All I depict from the views are agitations that are based on an excessive dose of ignorance, an unimaginable capacity to hate, unquenchable appetite for ethnic bigotry and unmatchable desire to intimidate and display full-blown ego to the less informed persons or group of gullible people and would only lead to a confederacy of takers.

DEREGULATION

Strategic thinking and a roadmap to policy implementation offer us a better platform to operate. Deregulation of the downstream sector is one of the many policies the present administration has embraced, and the question is. Where does it position us? Our actions so far have been driven and decided by the same group of individuals. I believe this a simple economic interpretation judging from the current take on the crash of oil and market forces, pressurizing the price of crude to come down to $40. Speaking more on how to cushion the effect of deregulation on the general public, we have been availed an opportunity to access decentralized government policies. We need to get ourselves properly informed and not reminiscing on rhetorics. The market has been thrown open to any interested individual/group of persons; we have the opportunity to determine the market for the commodity that holds the umbilical cord of the country. That's a noble effort from the government, and they deserve kudos for that. The opening of the crude market encourages more players to bring in petrol, which would eventually lead to a new era of competitive pricing. The policy will encourage market stability in the downstream petroleum sector; maintain fuel supply throughout the country; discourage hoarding of products and reassuring investors' interests in setting up refineries in the country to cut import of petroleum products.
A closer look at Venezuela and other oil-producing countries will inform you of the situation; we find ourselves. UAE, Saudi, Bahrain, Iran and even Russia has either deregulated or aiming towards implementing the same policy. Fortunately, some of these countries have got social benefits as leverage to cushion such effect as what we are experiencing. Having studied most of the policies and regulations adopted by this present administration, I can only say we are headed for a better and sustainable country. It is time people turned to God for divine intervention instead of whining and complaining, saying, with prayer; God can raise men and women of impeccable character who can contribute their quota to national development and transformation. It's our common purpose and goal; let's contribute our own quota in every little way, re-orient ourselves and adjusting to the current situation at hand for a better Nigeria that our children will be part of. Hoping your commander in chief fails is the same thing as hoping your country fails, and it's not patriotism; patriotism is supporting, praying and constructively criticizing policies adopted by your president even if you don't agree with them. Buhari is a human being like all of us. He cannot change things in overnight because these problems were not created within one year, so there can't be a quick solution to them. It is perhaps becoming more conscious of the benefit of growing and buying homemade, understanding the extent to which corruption has damaged our nation and plunged us into a state of comatose, and being more political aware of your civil responsibility will annihilate the effect of unendurable crises Nigeria is facing.

Nigeria will not develop its prospects if we keep blowing up oil installations using it as a bait to attract government attention, sabotaging our own system while asking for social benefits is a case of orange and apple. Our full potentials cannot be attained if we encourage a government of nepotism we must not sit back and merely let government contest with those who would again turn government against the general welfare. All of us must join the fray because the fray is about us when we live in a manner than fulfills our national purpose.
Finally, I predicated my support on the need to secure a country that is at the verge of becoming a failed state. I wanted PMB to stop the unprecedented bleeding of the country from never-seen looting in history, which is evidenced from recent indictments. I supported PMB to reset the moral code in public service and leadership. We can't just continue to have a country that rewarded criminals like the past administration openly and brutally did. We need a Buhari to put his legendary stamp of integrity to drive governance and in one year, there is a new lease of life to the way government business is now conducted. Everything has crashed on us without the money from oil like it used to be, Years of mismanagement has come to hunt us and very bad too. With Buhari having used the last 12months for housekeeping, the trajectory of the economy will continue to go north with more hard work and faithful implementation of government programs. With all the current challenges, my faith and trust in this government remain firm and resolute.

(1) (Reply)

My Remarks On Decree 2, A Mere Joke – CCT Boss, Umar / We Have Achieved A Lot In One Year- Saraki / PHOTOS: Oyo Artisans And Traders Protest Against NLC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.