Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,621 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:17 PM

How To Deal With These IPOB And MASSOB Guys - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How To Deal With These IPOB And MASSOB Guys (652 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu Was Not Jobless Before He Embarked On IPOB And Biafra Mission / IPOB And MASSOB Should Be Declared Terrorist Groups- PICTURES / When Will These IPOB DUNCES Wise Up? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Deal With These IPOB And MASSOB Guys by nofreedom: 2:06pm On Jun 02, 2016
I suspect the President would be very angry with IPOB and MASSOB because they weren’t as active as this in the last administration. But, these groups have been existing, and didn’t spring up today. The big question is this: why have they decided to be very ‘restless’, these days?

I agree that the whole Biafra narrative has an economic undertone- you could argue that a ‘Biafran’ youth with a well-paid job won’t come for this kind of protest on a work day. Yes, it could have some politics in it – just tell me anything in Nigeria that is not politics – even some of those who sympathized with the people of Borno during the heyday of Boko Haram were still playing politics with it. Of course, there is some feeling of Igbo solidarity here – this is why IPOB and MASSOB have supporters in Europe and America.

Sadly, the President is about to misread the activities of these groups, just as former President Jonathan and even former President Yaradua, were accused of misreading Boko Haram at its infancy.

I strongly believe Nigeria would be better off as one country. Most patriotic Nigerians believe this. This is not to say that the unity of the country shouldn’t be discussed, or even negotiated. It is in such heated discussions that concessions and compromises are made. The concessions England gave Scotland before the last referendum in the UK is one good example.

Atiku Abubakar is right in advocating for true federalism – he believes this is the panacea to the country’s problems – the militancy in Delta, IPOB and MASSOB agitations. Unfortunately, Buhari might not believe this. Why? His utterances imply that he wishes that the last National Conference’s report ends up in the shelves, and stays there. He doesn’t even want to look at it. True federalism was one of the major views advocated at the Confab.

Fundamentally, IPOB and MASSOB are totally different from Boko Haram and the militancy in the Delta. IPOB and MASSOB are not really known for kidnapping and senseless violence, though the military and the state police accuse them of these. Their members are well-known in communities. Go to any newspaper stand in the South East or any beer palour, you would see how local traders discuss, passionately, issues concerning IPOB and MASSOB. Since Buhari hasn’t visited the South East since he became President, he might not have really gotten a feel of this.

Even if he visits, he might not to go to the streets as most European and American leaders do. So, he is likely to continue misreading the whole struggle. Current economic hardship in the South East has endeared most people to IPOB and MASSOB. The feeling in the streets is that we have a President who hates the Igbos. Igbo trades have been badly hit by Buhari’s forex policies.

A few days ago, tens of IPOB and MASSOB protesters were killed in Onitsha, and in other parts of the country. The military says it acted in self-defense. Of course, there is never going to be an unbiased panel of inquiry to tell the world what really happened. For now, some protesters are being prosecuted and the leaders of the groups have asked for the release of the corpses of their members.

Of course, no military or police officer would be prosecuted – they were probably acting in the interest of the state against ‘armed’ protestors. The police and military claim they have evidence to show these organizations assaulted their personnel.

Interestingly, the plumber, who works for my friend, tells me he is a die-hard Biafran and believes in IPOB. He says he has always protested, and has never carried any arm.

Certainly, these groups of people will be further radicalized by the kind of actions taken by government – government has been quite brutal. There is no doubt that some elements, among them, who might have criminal tendencies, would become angrier and resort to causing havoc in future.

Apart from a few funny demands, IPOB’s and MASSOB’s demands are well articulated. They strongly believe Igbos are marginalized, economical and politically, in the current day Nigeria. They believe the conditions which provoked Ojukwu to declare war still exists in the Nigeria. Little wonder, therefore, that they decided to celebrate Ikemba, last Thursday.

IPOB and MASSOB want the government to release some of their detained members. One of which is Nnamdi Kanu, but there are many others. Buhari probably thinks that releasing Kanu would set a wrong precedence – he could argue that this would encourage other secessionists.

He might not be absolutely correct here. And he is likely to make the same mistake with Tompolo – the last President handled Tompolo intelligently and was able to get Nigeria’s crude flowing – though there were still some theft.

Buhari has been meeting with Igbo leaders to discuss the way forward. I appreciate this – he is actually trying his best. But, he seems to have a mindset that would not yield any result.

He believes those calling for the negotiation of the unity of the country are kids and weren’t around when people like him fought and died for this country. True, but those kids are apparently in the majority in the South East, they comprise of many traders and artisans. That reminds me, a lot of Igbo elites also believe that we need a national conversation, where every issue should be discussed, especially about the conditions of our unity. Since he is a democrat, he should listen to the majority.

The politics of Biafra will determine elections in the coming years. It is very likely that any Igbo political leader who comes out to denounce the philosophy IPOB or MASSOB would regret it at the polls, in future. Igbo leaders would continue condemning any violence, though, if it arises from the struggle.

Signs of these are clear. Last week, a magistrate granted an IPOB member bail in Enugu. Ordinarily, the magistrate and the prosecution could have argued that treason related offences were unbailable. Of course, the magistrate lives in the heart of the South East. The people know where he lives.

I’m sure Buhari would see a referendum as a waste of money. IPOB and MASSOB have been quoting all kinds of treaties and agreements that could have forced him to call for a referendum.

The President should think along this line and deeply, as well, about the causes of these agitations– an improved federal system, in terms of resource ownership and allocation, would help in solving most of these problems. Most importantly, he shouldn’t go about chasing shadows, as some did during the early days of Boko Haram – they even went ahead calling him names and probably wasting time bugging him.

email: nwankwoebuka@yahoo.co.uk

Follow us on twitter @thecableng

Copyright 2016 TheCable. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.thecable.ng as the source.

2 Likes

Re: How To Deal With These IPOB And MASSOB Guys by viki84(m): 2:22pm On Jun 02, 2016
The struggle continues

2 Likes

Re: How To Deal With These IPOB And MASSOB Guys by dablazor: 2:31pm On Jun 02, 2016
OP, change the topic.
Re: How To Deal With These IPOB And MASSOB Guys by attackgat: 3:16pm On Jun 02, 2016
My father is an ex-Biafran soldier. As much as there are many books written about Biafra, it also good to get the authentic story from someone was present and on the ground when the whole thing was happening. My father told me that the reason he fought against Nigeria was his belief that it is the right of the Igbos to decide their fate and to decide if they wish to be part of Nigeria or not. My father told me stories of the frontlines, the friends and comrades he lost. It was with that knowledge that on Monday I went, to a Biafran remembrance day gathering. On my way there, I knew that I could be arrested, shot at even killed by the Nigerian security services. As we all know, mere sympathising with Biafra in the wrong place and at the wrong time can be a death sentence in Nigeria. But I had to go because I knew that I was not doing anything wrong by going to remember our war dead. We gathered and prayed for them, we honoured them. Luckily for us, there were no security agents around to cause trouble and we all went back home after the remembrance. It was with heavy heart that I learnt that other people in other states were not so lucky. Many were killed in Onitsha and Asaba. The deaths are a reminder that Nigeria is still very much what Lord Lugard created it to be, an intrument of exploitation and oppression against the indigenous people of the land. I can only quote what Asari Dokubo said in a video on YouTube:

As long as Nigeria refuses to address the issue of people who have been dispossessed of their lands and sovereignty, there will never be peace

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Deal With These IPOB And MASSOB Guys by RealIgboboy: 3:41pm On Jun 02, 2016
Such much warning has been issued to warn the leaders of the consequences of am born to rule mentality. Using of force never work in the south east and south south but only dialogue has the answer. During the colonies era, it was on record that the British tried use of force conquer the south east and south South but all fail because they are pure democrat. What is obtainable in the north is not obtainable here.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With These IPOB And MASSOB Guys by ejilife: 3:48pm On Jun 02, 2016
attackgat:
My father is an ex-Biafran soldier. As much as there are many books written about Biafra, it also good to get the authentic story from someone was present and on the ground when the whole thing was happening. My father told me that the reason he fought against Nigeria was his belief that it is the right of the Igbos to decide their fate and to decide if they wish to be part of Nigeria or not. My father told me stories of the frontlines, the friends and comrades he lost. It was with that knowledge that on Monday I went, to a Biafran remembrance day gathering. On my way there, I knew that I could be arrested, shot at even killed by the Nigerian security services. As we all know, mere sympathising with Biafra in the wrong place and at the wrong time can be a death sentence in Nigeria. But I had to go because I knew that I was not doing anything wrong by going to remember our war dead. We gathered and prayed for them, we honoured them. Luckily for us, there were no security agents around to cause trouble and we all went back home after the remembrance. It was with heavy heart that I learnt that other people in other states were not so lucky. Many were killed in Onitsha and Asaba. The deaths are a reminder that Nigeria is still very much what Lord Lugard created it to be, an intrument of exploitation and oppression against the indigenous people of the land. I can only quote what Asari Dokubo said in a video on YouTube:

As long as Nigeria refuses to address the issue of people who have been dispossessed of their lands and sovereignty, there will never be peace
....I also travelled from Lagos to Nkpor for the event but what I saw happen that day has further developed my hatred for the Zoo called niGERia. They started killing our people from 1am at Edmund Catholic Church, Nkpor where those that came from far slept for the night. IPOB has been too non-violent and it seem that niGERia wants us to start taking arm against the state. Imagine entering a church by 1am to murder innocent and armless sleeping Biafrans and then turn around to accuse them of violence? Who goes to the church to plan violence? The worse is that they didn't even allow the event to hold. At least I counted 35 corpses of IPOB piled up in various military hilux pick up vans that passed the front of the hotel that I lodged. I watched the. Way and manner the murdering soilders celebrated the killings and it was obvious that the murder was premediated. They rejoiced like people that have been promised goodies for the corpse of any Biafran killed and returned to their barracks..... God/Chukwu Abiama will never forgive the Zoo called niGERia for murdering these innocent souls. Ditto for every officer that participated in the murdered including those that supported it. They too will be victims. As they made fathers, mothers and childern childless and fatherless so shall it be their portion soonest.

3 Likes

Re: How To Deal With These IPOB And MASSOB Guys by attackgat: 7:55pm On Jun 02, 2016
ejilife:
....I also travelled from Lagos to Nkpor for the event but what I saw happen that day has further developed my hatred for the Zoo called niGERia. They started killing our people from 1am at Edmund Catholic Church, Nkpor where those that came from far slept for the night. IPOB has been too non-violent and it seem that niGERia wants us to start taking arm against the state. Imagine entering a church by 1am to murder innocent and armless sleeping Biafrans and then turn around to accuse them of violence? Who goes to the church to plan violence? The worse is that they didn't even allow the event to hold. At least I counted 35 corpses of IPOB piled up in various military hilux pick up vans that passed the front of the hotel that I lodged. I watched the. Way and manner the murdering soilders celebrated the killings and it was obvious that the murder was premediated. They rejoiced like people that have been promised goodies for the corpse of any Biafran killed and returned to their barracks..... God/Chukwu Abiama will never forgive the Zoo called niGERia for murdering these innocent souls. Ditto for every officer that participated in the murdered including those that supported it. They too will be victims. As they made fathers, mothers and childern childless and fatherless so shall it be their portion soonest.

It was truly a dark day. It pained me badly

(1) (Reply)

Kaduna State Governor Is Working. / Army Arrests Ex-militant Leader, Lawyer Accuses Them Of Abuse Of Human Right / Ekiti APC Behind Protest Against Me – Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.