Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,939 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:26 PM

Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer (1698 Views)

BREAKING: Olorogun Felix Ibru Is Dead / PUBLIC OPINION: What An Ordinary Akwa Ibomite, Feels About Biafra / Cecilia Ibru Turns Evangelist, Relocates To Her Village (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by riyenews(m): 4:25am On Aug 25, 2009
riyenews@.com

It can only happen in Nigeria. Where else in the world would a lawyer claim that his client, declared wanted by the authorities on charges of massive financial impropriety, is not an ordinary Nigerian but an eminent one? According to press reports, Mr. Adeniyi Akintola (SAN), the lawyer of former Managing Director of Oceanic Bank Plc, Mrs. Cecilia Ibru, his client is no ordinary Nigerian, arguing that; “this is the only country where people go to the media on issues they know nothing about. Mrs. Ibru is not an ordinary Nigerian. She is an eminent one. They know where she lives.” Mr. Akintola’s assertion brings us back to riyenews’ last thread in which the role of lawyers (Akeredolu, Lawyers and the rest of us), in Nigeria’s social, political and economic life was discussed.

Mr. Akintola needs to explain in greater detail what makes Mrs. Ibru more eminent than the average man on the street, perhaps in court. 
It is only in Nigeria that those who ought to cover their heads in shame and ignominy would strut around, thumb their noses in front of the people and even collect awards and chieftaincy titles to boot. What makes Mrs Ibru an eminent Nigerian? Is it the fact that she was once the MD of a bank? What are the criteria for eminence in Nigeria apart from being a clergy?

The answer is of course money but as Nigerians are now finding out she is less than eminent and she is someone who betrayed the trust of thousands of customers of her bank. It is obvious that Mr. Akintola knows that he has just discovered a gold mine in taking the Ibru case, but must he insult our intelligence?
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by Nobody: 5:14am On Aug 25, 2009
Rofl
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by mbulela: 5:43am On Aug 25, 2009
becoomrich:

i real do not get it. why do they need to arrest her. They should go after those who collected the money. Jimoh Ibrahim just paid $25 million. na wa o . money dey nigeria. how much una fit borrow me. Everybody get oilwell.

I think they should restore cecila and akingbola into other position because it can create problem. Bill gate is still part of microsoft but not in management. They need to restore both back.

dude, what is the meaning of the highlighted phrase?
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by rethink: 5:49am On Aug 25, 2009
There is nothing like tribalism with the elite they close rank when they are in trouble

Look at Akingboola's lawyer

Look at Ibru's Lawyer

The struggling class must love each other.
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by nguage(m): 5:53am On Aug 25, 2009
I bet her blood isn't red.

Since she's not an ordinary Nigerian, her lawyer (by association) isn't an ordinary Nigerian either, ordinary people aren't lawyers to extraordinary people.
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by texazzpete(m): 7:03am On Aug 25, 2009
becoomrich:

i real do not get it. why do they need to arrest her. They should go after those who collected the money. Jimoh Ibrahim just paid $25 million. na wa o . money dey nigeria. how much una fit borrow me. Everybody get oilwell.

I think they should restore cecila and akingbola into other position because it can create problem. Bill gate is still part of microsoft but not in management. They need to restore both back.

You're an amusing fellow, but rather thickheaded. I need to always remember this so i don't make the mistake of ever taking you seriously.
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by Nobody: 7:28am On Aug 25, 2009
Though the statement by Mr. Adeniyi Akintola (SAN) sounds condescending to the Nigerian masses, he is right as a solicitor to make every claim in order to protect his client so far it does not constitute a slander to any person or the government.
And truth be told, any person occupying such position as Cecilia occupied is simply not an ordinary Nigerian. That does not mean that the person shouldnt face the wrath of the law if found wanting.
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 25, 2009
@ OP

It seems the poster qoated Mr Akintola out of context.

From my own understanding, the SAN was referring to the news that EFCC has stormed Lagos to arrest Cecilia as advertised by the dailies. He seem to be telling the security operatives that Cecilia is well known and thereby can not hide as she will be easily identified, hence, no need to publicize it; just go to her residence and arrest her.

I guess the FG is hell bent on disgracing these guys to the lowest point. Maybe they deserve it. undecided
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by Afam(m): 8:01am On Aug 25, 2009
becoomrich:

I think they should restore cecila and akingbola into other position because it can create problem. Bill gate is still part of microsoft but not in management.

Exactly, Bill Gates is now the official driver of one of those guys in management at Microsoft. You are very correct. He even doubles as a security man in the company's head office.
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by kokoA(m): 9:11am On Aug 25, 2009
Yes she is not an ordinary Nigerian because ordinary Nigerians are Nigerians who labour hard for their money, people who inspite af all the difficulties of life still stand their ground for what is right and just, people who are doing great things around the world. But she is an "eminent" Nigerian, people who belive in "monkey dey work Baboon the chop", people whodecieve the "ordinary Nigerians" to bring money for them to share among their cohorts, people who will sooner than later be arrested by EFCC and thrown to where they truly belong. Shame in that retard of a lawyer to make such comments,
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by kshow1(m): 9:28am On Aug 25, 2009
nuzo:

And truth be told, any person occupying such position as Cecilia occupied is simply not an ordinary Nigerian. That does not mean that the person shouldnt face the wrath of the law if found wanting.

SImple

kokoA:

Yes she is not an ordinary Nigerian because ordinary Nigerians are Nigerians who labour hard for their money, people who inspite af all the difficulties of life still stand their ground for what is right and just, people who are doing great things around the world. But she is an "eminent" Nigerian, people who belive in "monkey dey work Baboon the chop", people whodecieve the "ordinary Nigerians" to bring money for them to share among their cohorts, people who will sooner than later be arrested by EFCC and thrown to where they truly belong. Shame in that retard of a lawyer to make such comments,

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by otokx(m): 11:49am On Aug 25, 2009
This is a wonderful country
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by vikiviko(m): 3:15pm On Aug 25, 2009
Nigeria will surely survive this wahala in the coming weeks .

The whole drama makes the Polity sweet.
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by otokx(m): 3:31pm On Aug 25, 2009
Come to think of it, the lawyer is right no "ordinary Nigerian" gives a "nanny" 13 billion to open a boutique.
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by riyenews(m): 3:50pm On Aug 25, 2009

Well said my brother
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by Beaf: 4:03pm On Aug 25, 2009
The woman has not been taken before any court of law and found guilty. We tend to love the very misinformed shortgun approach in this country; not clever. We regularly burn theives and lynch people in the streets; not clever. We hail the barbaric and chaotic exhibitions force; not clever.

If she has committed any crimes, why has she not been arrested and arraigned before a court? Why publish all the threats and plans to arrest her? Just do it, shut the press up and let the law take its course.

Someone is steering up a lot of dust to hide their true intentions, someone who knows just how silly and illogical Nigerians can get. Someone who doesn't care about manipulating our collective trauma from years of being beaten up and dehumanised by military regimes.
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by otokx(m): 4:15pm On Aug 25, 2009
@BEAF

If she is innocent as you claim, why has she refused to report at the nearest EFCC office? why has she gone into hiding? why did she attempt to flee via Jimoh's private jet? Indeed the wicked flee when no man pursueth. Now she is wanted by the law enforcement agents?
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by Beaf: 4:20pm On Aug 25, 2009
otokx:

@BEAF

If she is innocent as you claim, why has she refused to report at the nearest EFCC office? why has she gone into hiding? why did she attempt to flee via Jimoh's private jet? Indeed the wicked flee when no man pursueth. Now she is wanted by the law enforcement agents?

Were did I claim she was innocent? Neither you nor I are expert enough to declare anybody guilty or innocent (especially in matters of huge legal proportions); to do so would only reveal shallow mindedness. She has not been found guilty by any law court and the jungle is no substitute for civilised order.

Why can't the powers that be, allow the law take its course in an orderly fashion? Is something being hidden? Why do most of us behave like educated agbero's and run after the loudest noisemaker?
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by kuramo: 4:23pm On Aug 25, 2009
I strongly agree that Madam Cecilia Ibru is not an ordinary Nigerian.   She is just a very corrupt and fraudulent Nigerian.
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by qblaze(m): 5:06pm On Aug 25, 2009
Of course.

As my pastor would say, Cecilia Ibru is a water spirit.

I bind and I cast.
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by texazzpete(m): 5:49pm On Aug 25, 2009
Beaf:

The woman has not been taken before any court of law and found guilty. We tend to love the very misinformed shortgun approach in this country; not clever. We regularly burn theives and lynch people in the streets; not clever. We hail the barbaric and chaotic exhibitions force; not clever.

If she has committed any crimes, why has she not been arrested and arraigned before a court? Why publish all the threats and plans to arrest her? Just do it, shut the press up and let the law take its course.

Someone is steering up a lot of dust to hide their true intentions, someone who knows just how silly and illogical Nigerians can get. Someone who doesn't care about manipulating our collective trauma from years of being beaten up and dehumanised by military regimes.

She hasn't been arrested because she's escaped arrest. There's a warrant for her arrest.
I hope you do realise that hundreds of thousands of Nigerians have monetary deposits in the troubled banks, of which Oceanic is one? or the thousands of Nigerians that are shareholders in Oceanic Bank, are they 'silly and illogical' too?
There's a global financial crisis on, and our previously impregnable banks have been shown to be weak-kneed. There's also the extremely reckles nature of lending carried out by Oceanic Bank under Ms. Ibru, yet you think Nigerians should not be agitated?
Nobody gives a damn about millitary regimes. All we care about is our money, and the disaster that collapsing banks can bring to our economy. Is it so wrong to call for the heads of those who wilfully brought this evil upon us?
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by Nobody: 6:13pm On Aug 25, 2009
kuramo:

I strongly agree that Madam Cecilia Ibru is not an ordinary Nigerian.   She is just a very corrupt and fraudulent Nigerian.

In that case, one can now conclude that she's an ordinary nigerian. tongue
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by Beaf: 6:13pm On Aug 25, 2009
texazzpete:

She hasn't been arrested because she's escaped arrest. There's a warrant for her arrest.
I hope you do realise that hundreds of thousands of Nigerians have monetary deposits in the troubled banks, of which Oceanic is one? or the thousands of Nigerians that are shareholders in Oceanic Bank, are they 'silly and illogical' too?
There's a global financial crisis on, and our previously impregnable banks have been shown to be weak-kneed. There's also the extremely reckles nature of lending carried out by Oceanic Bank under Ms. Ibru, yet you think Nigerians should not be agitated?
Nobody gives a damn about millitary regimes. All we care about is our money, and the disaster that collapsing banks can bring to our economy. Is it so wrong to call for the heads of those who wilfully brought this evil upon us?

No one has been found guilty and neither has any convincing evidence of crimes been put forward, we are all clawing in the dark. The handling of our national finances needs to be undertaken with a high level of caution and diplomacy. It is quite evident that more harm than good has been done by the current crude public labelling and calls for blood without trial. Our currency is losing value, our stock values are dropping, there have been massive withdrawals from the affected banks, foreign confidence in our financial sector has all but evaporated. All in all, Nigeria is worse of from Sanusi’s actions.
If these guys are suspected of fraud, the best thing would have been to arrest and try them before a law court; not by the press or the public. Employing the law of the jungle belittles Nigeria first and hollows out our judiciary next.
As to Ms. Ibru doing a runner, it is hard to tell if this is true; but considering the extreme actions employed by the CBN so far, it would be a wise action.
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by jazzsoul: 8:11pm On Aug 25, 2009
All Nigerians are supposed to be equal in the eyes of the law in a democracy. This should be apparent to Mr Akintola SAN(Stupid Advocate of Nigeria). This is more reason why the archaic colonial hangover that discriminates against lawyers should be thrown in the dust bin. Mr Akintola's client has an obligation to turn herself in since she is aware of the arrest warrant instead of waiting to picked up in cuffs.
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by pcicero(m): 12:37am On Aug 26, 2009
She is an extra ordinary Nigerian! VIP like other elites. That is why they create mess and abscond leaving us Nairalanders to yab and abuse ourselves.
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by buchio7(m): 4:07pm On Aug 26, 2009
You guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill, the lawyer merely said that the woman is known and can easily be arrested by the authorities rather than running a media campaign that already condemns the person without hearing,

this efcc is quite inept if i may say so cause its nt a hidden fact that you can actually tail these ppl and pick them up bt all dese media hype by the "posturing chairperson and her acolytes" is quite befaudling
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by Flakky26(f): 4:49pm On Aug 26, 2009
, No man is above the law.
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by kristos(m): 5:17pm On Aug 26, 2009
becoomrich:

do you find something really funny in posting stupid and irrelevant responses to threads. angry angry
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by ogajim(m): 3:46pm On Aug 27, 2009
becoomrich:

I think they should restore cecila and akingbola into other position because it can create problem. [b]Bill gate is still part of microsoft but not in management. They need to restore both back. [/b]

I can rationalize the liar lawyer's statement but what is this guy trying to say with the highlighted part? You want to compare MS' way of doing business with anything you have seen in Nigeria?
Re: Cecilia Ibru Is Not An Ordinary Nigerian - Lawyer by ndomadu: 4:32pm On Aug 27, 2009
don't mind the lawyer.its the money alright.I bet that one will sell his own mother for 10 dollars

(1) (Reply)

Is Justice Slow In Corruption Cases? / American Cry To Obama To Deport All Nigerian Living In America - American / Budget Jump For Nigeria @50:yar’adua - N62 Million - Jonathan : N10 Billion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.