Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,322 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:20 AM

Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats (23573 Views)

How To Switch To A New Smartphone Without Losing Your Whatsapp Chats / Whatsapp Now Lets You Pin Your Favourite Chats On Top / Just As Whatsapp, Viber Is Now End-to-end Encrypting Messages And Phone Calls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by pattyphil(f): 7:03am On Jun 05, 2016
e no concern me. just passing though.
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by monaPhilz: 7:04am On Jun 05, 2016
rawpadgin:
wil it stop NDA from bombing pipe lines
what relationship does Facebook have with NDA??
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:07am On Jun 05, 2016
Ishilove:

Oh, ooookaaaayyyy...

Ha, that's good o cheesy cheesy

Thanks for the simple explanation. The technicalities would have given my brain muscle pull grin tongue

We were taught cryptography just last semester cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by dannyben5: 7:07am On Jun 05, 2016
nice one
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by wordcat(m): 7:10am On Jun 05, 2016
One man encrypt another man decrypt.
Nothing pass the government
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by MyParadise(m): 7:11am On Jun 05, 2016
nice
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by rawpadgin(m): 7:11am On Jun 05, 2016
monaPhilz:
what relationship does Facebook have with NDA??
cuz thats the only thing that matters to me @ the moment, if the NDA continue, there's the posibility that alot of us might be drop from our work
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by MuyiRano(m): 7:14am On Jun 05, 2016
I still don't understand pls
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by donifez(m): 7:33am On Jun 05, 2016
vizkiz:
y'all shouldn't start rejoicing cuz you now have "encrypted messages" and "ability" to text whatever you want to Facebook, whatsapp and some other social media giving you false hope.

The truth is that The government have a well ASSURED DECRYPTION PROGRAM running up with the homeland security. Lol the government is still watching fellas grin

Which Government? specify. Let's say the DES can be broken due to number of keys involved, The AES will be tougher, Facebook might even create their own encryption system... and they won't give the decryption algorithm to the Government except when needed, well that is not to say the Government won't try to break it with their own cryptoanalyst. It will be a shame if they did though, At least Apple is safer, and I do believe that Apple helped the FBI to breach into it's system. Forget all the hogwash FBI said online. That is why I said which Government, USA Government ,Nigeria Government-That one go hard.
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by vizkiz: 7:35am On Jun 05, 2016
donifez:

Which Government? specify. Let's say the DES can be broken due to number of keys involved, The AES will be tougher, Facebook might even create their own encryption system... and they won't give the decryption algorithm to the Government except when needed, well that is not to say the Government won't try to break it with their own cryptoanalyst. It will be a shame if they did though, At least Apple is safer, and I do believe that Apple helped the FBI to breach into it's system. Forget all the hogwash FBI said online. That is why I said which Government, USA Government ,Nigeria Government-That one go hard.

My point exactly at bolded. I was referring to the USA by the way, Nigerian government can even track a hacker not to talk of encryption grin
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by donifez(m): 7:38am On Jun 05, 2016
vizkiz:

My point exactly at bolded. I was referring to the USA by the way, Nigerian government can even track a hacker not to talk of encryption grin

LoL, Na so my Brother, we have a long way to go.

Stay bless.
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by hespy: 7:57am On Jun 05, 2016
[color=#990000][/color]........And is this applicable on foreign whatsapp contacts too? Cos I'm only seeing that on local ones.
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by bedfordng(m): 7:58am On Jun 05, 2016
lets see how it turns out to be
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by silversonuc(m): 8:01am On Jun 05, 2016
avicenna1:
Then explain
bro u follow me dey confuse? lol
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by dotG(m): 8:02am On Jun 05, 2016
KelvinMega:
an average Nigerian doesn't know the meaning of this
and you do?...are you above average?
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by olanshile2016(m): 8:15am On Jun 05, 2016
nice move
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by Blinkzy(m): 8:20am On Jun 05, 2016
I'm sure the yahoo boys & scammers will be happy now.
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by 1stdammy: 8:36am On Jun 05, 2016
KelvinMega:
an average Nigerian doesn't know the meaning of this
Yes!! Someone like me.....

1 Like

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by pedrilo: 8:44am On Jun 05, 2016
MrCow:
lolz

so some people no get work before, na to dey spy on other people's chat ehn
that's their job bro, but they want to mk d work easy by concentrating on those who OPT IN for this feature. Dnt get too excited abt it guys.
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by Karleb(m): 9:11am On Jun 05, 2016
vizkiz:
y'all shouldn't start rejoicing cuz you now have "encrypted messages" and "ability" to text whatever you want to Facebook, whatsapp and some other social media giving you false hope.

The truth is that The government have a well ASSURED DECRYPTION PROGRAM running up with the homeland security. Lol the government is still watching fellas grin

Are we talking about the Nigerian government here?
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by bizhop101(m): 9:15am On Jun 05, 2016
HOW CAN THIS IMPROVE NIGERIA ECONOMY? tell me
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by eromspete(m): 9:22am On Jun 05, 2016
It only takes one subpoena from a high ranking court in the US to gain access to all the data when cases are filed in court by the law enforcement.

Still a good move sha - The end to end encryption
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by Bishops10(m): 9:49am On Jun 05, 2016
vizkiz:

How can I add colour to my post
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by airsaylongcon: 9:54am On Jun 05, 2016
vizkiz:

Not if you're Telegramming
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by nairaimporter: 9:57am On Jun 05, 2016
Ishilove:
I was wondering what end-to-end encryption is... Is it that the conversations cannot be hacked?

All these tech terms fly over my head like fighter jets undecided

During chatting, there are two "ends"- your side and the person you're chatting with side.

Currently when you send messages over the network (from your phone to GSM operator mast to GSM operator base station to internet servers to Facebook servers to the other person's GSM operator base station to the other person's GSM operator mast, finally to the other person's phone)

Through out this long journey, you message is in English format. Exactly the way you sent it. It means that if Federal government has an agreement with MTN or GLO to tap your messages they will get it in simple English.

But with end to end encryption, you and your friend agree to a key(this is automatically done for you by the app) and only the person with that key can decrypt your messages.

So now when your messages make that long journey next time and someone decides to tap it, the get encrypted data the don't understand and they can't decrypt because they don't have the key.

Cc safarigirl

www.scandalsport.com

2 Likes

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by airsaylongcon: 9:57am On Jun 05, 2016
Ishilove:
I was wondering what end-to-end encryption is... Is it that the conversations cannot be hacked?

All these tech terms fly over my head like fighter jets undecided

It means the message is scrambled from your end and remains scrambled while in transit until it gets to the recipient where it is unscrambled. While the message is in transit, it is just a bunch of gibberish to anyone who intercepts and tries to read it

2 Likes

Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by nairaimporter: 10:06am On Jun 05, 2016
eromspete:
It only takes one subpoena from a high ranking court in the US to gain access to all the data when cases are filed in court by the law enforcement.

Still a good move sha - The end to end encryption

A subpoena will no longer work because even Facebook will not know how to decrypt the messages again.

Only the two participating entities in the chat can decrypt the message.

So if you subpoena Facebook to give you maybe a terrorist chat messages, they will say hey we can't encrypt the messages but we can give you the encrypted messages which will be useless.

The only thing law enforcement can do is maybe to subpoena any of the party involved in the chat.

Tech companies no longer want to be involved with the FBI and CIA and other law enforcement because it spoils their image especially in other markets like China. If the Chinese or Russian government know a company gives out data to FBI then they ban them from China.

Fun fact - Facebook is currently banned in China. grin

But now the companies are no longer forced to comply with law enforcement because you simply can't give what you don't have. They no longer have the data/ messages.

Cc safarigirl

www.scandalsport.com
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by manuelrukky(m): 12:03pm On Jun 05, 2016
vizkiz:
y'all shouldn't start rejoicing cuz you now have "encrypted messages" and "ability" to text whatever you want on Facebook, whatsapp and some other social media giving you false hope.

With the goverments assured decrypter FBI was still begging iphone to make a universal key that can unlock their phones in other for FBI to get access to a terrorist's phone. Guy there is no decrypter anywhere, why do you think iphone sell so much in the US? Privacy my guy and Mack is trying to rope more people to his apps
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by vizkiz: 12:07pm On Jun 05, 2016
Bishops10:

How can I add colour to my post

what color do you wish to add bro
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by Bishops10(m): 12:17pm On Jun 05, 2016
vizkiz:

what color do you wish to add bro

Red,green,blue... and also to increase the font size of my texts
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by vizkiz: 12:22pm On Jun 05, 2016
Bishops10:

Red,green,blue... and also to increase the font size of my texts

ok I am going to give you certain colors then you will have to edit my text and copy the fonts you see... OK? smiley
Re: Facebook Wants To Start Encrypting Your Chats by Bishops10(m): 12:30pm On Jun 05, 2016
vizkiz:

ok I am going to give you certain colors then you will have to edit my text and copy the fonts you see... OK? smiley

[size=15pt]Alright buddy...waiting[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Please Recommend A New Phone For 50K Budget / "-" E-series Zone "-" / Airtel Users Get In Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.