Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,759 members, 7,809,925 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:19 PM

Today Is World Environment Day - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Today Is World Environment Day (1109 Views)

Today Is World Left Handers Day. See Famous Left Handers / Today Is World Environment Day: Lets Talk Nature! / Today Is World Environment Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Today Is World Environment Day by Rumpelstiltskin(m): 12:39pm On Jun 05, 2016
Today is World Environment Day and the theme for WED 2016 is "Zero Tolerance for the Illegal Wildlife Trade". Indeed, illegal wildlife trade thrives in Africa and it is no surprise that an African country, Angola, is the global host for WED 2016.

Some of this illegal wildlife trade are well known, such as poaching of elephants for ivory, rhinos and tigers for their skins and bones. However, countless other species are similarly overexploited, from marine turtles to timber trees —directly threatening the survival of many species in the wild.

As we celebrate the World Environment Day today, we must also reflect on some of our local environmental challenges ranging from air pollution, water pollution, crude oil spillage, gas flaring, deforestation, desertification and poor waste mamagment.

Few days ago, a WHO report rated Onitsha as the most polluted city in the world. Onitsha recorded 30 times more than the WHO's recommended levels of PM10. Other cities on the top 20 list were Kaduna, Umuahia and Aba. Also, Port-Hacourt was rated among the top 25 dirtiest cities in the world in 2016. Ibadan and Aba were once the most dirtiest cities in the world.

Pollution comes with its health risks and challenges which could be mild such as headache and nausea, or sub-lethal such as respiratory infections, food/water poisoning or even lethal effects such as cancer and death. We wont forget the Lead poisoning incidence of Zamfara too quickly. Stiffer environmental laws ought to be enacted to protect our environment and punish environmental offenders.

[b]As an environmental enthusiast and ecotoxicologist, I wholeheartedly condemn the activities of the Niger Delta Avengers whose activities are causing greater ecological damage to the Niger-Delta than can be remediated in the nearest decade. Already, the Niger Delta is faced with enormous environmental challenges including oil spillages and gas flaring which has affected the flora, fauna and soil structure making it difficult for people who depend on fishing and farming as a source of income to sustain their livelihood.

It will take up to 30years to completely clean-up Ogoniland alone and will cost over $20b. You may think you are fighting the government, but you must also consider the long-term impact your activities are having on your immediate environment. Stiffer environmental laws, a speedy passage of the PIB and a more strengthened NOSDRA, DPR and FMoEnv would ensure that gas flaring and accidental spillages during exploration, production and transportation is reduced to the barest minimum while offenders should be sanctioned heavily and compelled to clean up the environment they polluted. [/b]

According to Mahatma Gandhi, "Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need but not every man's greed".

Happy World Environment Day 2016

Cc Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Today Is World Environment Day by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jun 05, 2016
All these days, we don't observe them in Nigeria
Re: Today Is World Environment Day by TheGeneralunum: 2:52am On Jun 07, 2016
Good day can I please have your email address? I have something I want to talk to you about or WhatsApp, my number is 08082774769. Thank you
Re: Today Is World Environment Day by samobaba4u(m): 7:12am On Jun 22, 2016
nice one
Re: Today Is World Environment Day by Abeyjide: 11:07pm On Jul 14, 2016
My OP,so sorry am not trying to derail your thread but just because of the information you posted around that febuary on federal goverment recruitment and replacement.pls I don't know how we can communicate just to get more info on MDA and so on.I will patiently be waiting for your response.Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

Wtf! Meet This Guy Who Has Followers Than Twitter On Twitter! / Breaking: ASUU-ndu Ends Strike, Vc To Announce Resumption Soon. / See The Picture A Girl Posted On Facebook That Got People Talking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.