Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,592 members, 7,823,577 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:56 AM

Govt Ready For 40 Per Cent Pay Rise For ASUU - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Govt Ready For 40 Per Cent Pay Rise For ASUU (761 Views)

Law School Records 71 Per Cent Success In Bar Final Exams / Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Resumption Dates For ASUU Strike Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Govt Ready For 40 Per Cent Pay Rise For ASUU by ade4cool27(m): 8:43pm On Aug 25, 2009
THE end to the lingering strike by university lecturers appears not to be in sight as the federal government yesterday said it could pay only 40 per cent salary increase against the 109 per cent being demanded by Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).

Speaking on behalf of the federal government in Abuja, the leader of the ASUU/FG RE-negotiation Committee, Mr, Gamaliel Onosode said the initial agreement reached between the Federal Government and ASUU could not be sustained and as such, the government had made an offer of only 40 per cent salary increase.

"I consider it most desirable to reconvene without delay the Re-negotiation Committee now that I have received my Principal's definitive reaction to the provisionally agreed salaries. The purpose of this meeting, therefore, is to afford me, in my capacity as Leader of the Government Team, the opportunity to present to you the Academic Staff Salaries, which are acceptable to the Federal Government as affordable and sustainable," Onosode said.

Onosode also disclosed that subsequent negotiation on proposed salaries and other matters covered by the provisional draft Agreement, which was initiated by both team leaders, would be between the federal government and individual university councils with their appropriate staff unions.

As if not comfortable with their offer, the Federal Government's delegation felt reluctant to announce their offer to journalists but repeatedly stated that the federal government did not feel it could afford the 109 per cent increase demanded by ASUU and as such, could not adopt their demand. However, when pressure persisted that their offer be made public for proper enlightenment of the Nigerian public and stakeholders in the education sector, Onosode announced that government could only afford and sustain 40 per cent increase in view of the country's economic standing.

On funding of tertiary institutions, Onosode also said that definitive action has been taken by the government, towards improving infrastructural and instructional facilities as well as staff development through the Education Trust Fund (ETF) while the retirement age of 70 years remains. According to him, the relevant Amendment Bill is currently before the National Assembly.

"I should mention also at this point that definitive action has already been taken by government on the issue of funding with a view to improving university infrastructural and instructional facilities and staff development through the ETF," he said.

However, ASUU was not represented at the meeting to confirm their acceptance or rejection of the offer.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/article04//indexn2_html?pdate=110709&ptitle=Govt%20Ready%20For%2040%20Per%20Cent%20Pay%20Rise%20For%20ASUU,%20Says%20Onosode

(1) (Reply)

Lattest News Abt Abu / Yabayech Part-time Form / Enzyme Activity-- for PROUD BIOCHEMISTS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.