Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:10 AM

Sewing for beginners - Fashion (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Sewing for beginners (92516 Views)

Simple Beginners Guide To Going Natural In Nigeria + Starter Kit / Sewing For Beginners @elveela Fashion School / Sewing For Beginners (theory And Practical) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 6:33am On Jan 11, 2018
DeeMarh:
I also intend starting up a fashion business with this

And with God’s grace, your determination and patience you will be able to .

1 Like

Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 6:36am On Jan 11, 2018
Rubyventures:
Also , I know that This is the season of Velvet. Can you please do a video on either plain or floral velvet material . With video explanations.

Thanks

When I go for my next fabric haul , I will try and get some velvet fabric.
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 6:39am On Jan 11, 2018
Rubyventures:

Can I do this same design using one skirt only?

Yes you can. You can even do a straight skirt if you prefer.
Re: Sewing for beginners by DeeMarh(f): 8:32am On Jan 11, 2018
marylandcakes:

And with God’s grace, your determination and patience you will be able to .
Thank you ma

1 Like

Re: Sewing for beginners by lorhema(f): 4:27pm On Jan 11, 2018
I'm not a beginner but have not made clothes in about 20 years and have forgotten a lot of steps. This thread has fired me up to start again. Thank you for the clear instructions.
Re: Sewing for beginners by Chickychic(f): 5:22pm On Jan 12, 2018
marylandcakes:
Mark your centre front on your pattern paper and square out your guide line AB at the top.
My dear u did not give d numerical measurement to help pipo like me understand ur calculation.

Also i will like to know wat ur guildeline AB mean
To enable me understand.
Thanks
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 12:45am On Jan 13, 2018
lorhema:
I'm not a beginner but have not made clothes in about 20 years and have forgotten a lot of steps. This thread has fired me up to start again. Thank you for the clear instructions.

You are welcome. I wish you good luck.
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 12:52am On Jan 13, 2018
Chickychic:

My dear u did not give d numerical measurement to help pipo like me understand ur calculation.

Also i will like to know wat ur guildeline AB mean
To enable me understand.
Thanks

Your guideline is generally 1” from the edge of the paper , also the centre front.

AB is your starting point guidelines where you Mark out your shoulder line..
Re: Sewing for beginners by Rubyventures: 10:17am On Jan 18, 2018
lorhema:

Have you subscribed to the OP's You tube channel? its free, that way you get notifications for new videos as its not all the videos that are put here on Nairaland by the OP
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 3:08pm On Jan 19, 2018
Rubyventures:

Have you subscribed to the OP's You tube channel? its free, that way you get notifications for new videos as its not all the videos that are put here on Nairaland by the OP

Thanks for your continued support.

How is your sewing coming along. Are you able to grasp the basics yet?
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 8:32am On Jan 20, 2018
I don’t have a lot of space for sewing so I found this space saving folding table.

It came flat pack so I have done a tutorial on how to put it together. It is very straight forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s5BSFzVnWw
Re: Sewing for beginners by Rubyventures: 2:58pm On Jan 22, 2018
marylandcakes:

Thanks for your continued support.

How is your sewing coming along. Are you able to grasp the basics yet?

I'm getting there little by little.
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 10:50pm On Jan 22, 2018
Rubyventures:

I'm getting there little by little.

Keep it up you will get there one day.
Re: Sewing for beginners by Rubyventures: 3:03pm On Jan 24, 2018
marylandcakes:

Keep it up you will get there one day.

That's the whole idea, to open my own fashion house one day.

Any tips on sewing with Velvet?
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 7:50pm On Jan 26, 2018
For those of you that asked for sleeve pattern tutorial. The video is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yQLa5IiWYQ
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 10:23pm On Jan 26, 2018
I know a lot of you have got problems with the drafting of sleeves most of the tutorials out there are so confusing. I hope this sorts out all your sleeve queries.

1 Like

Re: Sewing for beginners by AbbynHummy(f): 5:10pm On Jan 27, 2018
nice thread ma, i want to learn a craft, but i have been contemplating what kind of craft to go into, i have always admired tailoring, but still considering between tailoring and decoration/baking which is faster to learn..some of my frnds said i shouldn't venture into decoration nw as my children are still tender.. d place where i intend to learn tailoring is very close to my place of work, so i can stroll in there anytime. pls can someone advice me on which one is better.
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 12:36am On Jan 28, 2018
AbbynHummy:
nice thread ma, i want to learn a craft, but i have been contemplating what kind of craft to go into, i have always admired tailoring, but still considering between tailoring and decoration/baking which is faster to learn..some of my frnds said i shouldn't venture into decoration nw as my children are still tender.. d place where i intend to learn tailoring is very close to my place of work, so i can stroll in there anytime. pls can someone advice me on which one is better.

At the end of the day, it is your decision, what does your heart tell you? What do you have passion for? Nothing stops you from combining the two or the one that will be more convenient for you, since like you said you have got small kids. I wish you good luck

1 Like

Re: Sewing for beginners by AbbynHummy(f): 1:19pm On Jan 28, 2018
marylandcakes:

At the end of the day, it is your decision, what does your heart tell you? What do you have passion for? Nothing stops you from combining the two or the one that will be more convenient for you, since like you said you have got small kids. I wish you good luck

thanks for your reply....is it compulsory to learn how to sew with this patter drafting, cos most tailors around where I live don't use it
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 2:03am On Jan 29, 2018
AbbynHummy:

thanks for your reply....is it compulsory to learn how to sew with this patter drafting, cos most tailors around where I live don't use it

No it’s not compulsory but it’s best to learn sewing the best way which is pattern drafting, that way you know the basics. Most Nigerian tailoring schools are very lapse and in order to cut cost teach the lazy way. It’s up to you to learn the correct way. Top fashion designers always use patterns as early mistakes can be corrected easily. That’s why you hear cases of tailors ruining materials.

1 Like

Re: Sewing for beginners by Rubyventures: 10:56am On Jan 29, 2018
marylandcakes:
For those of you that asked for sleeve pattern tutorial. The video is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yQLa5IiWYQ

Where have I been? this thread has been bubbling. I'm not just saying this. But I cant find a better video on sleeve pattern. Anyone who cannot understand this video will never understand how to cut sleeves.

@ Op I prefer this one to your other sleeve video , this is more straight forward.

Well done and thank you for this.

Can you do another video on front bodice? tongue Thank you
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 7:58pm On Feb 04, 2018
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 8:01pm On Feb 04, 2018
Rubyventures:

Where have I been? this thread has been bubbling. I'm not just saying this. But I cant find a better video on sleeve pattern. Anyone who cannot understand this video will never understand how to cut sleeves.

@ Op I prefer this one to your other sleeve video , this is more straight forward.

Well done and thank you for this.

Can you do another video on front bodice? tongue Thank you

See the dress bodice above. Take this to the waist and you have got your front bodice.
The difference between the front and back is the armhole, the French dart and the length of the darts.

Thanks for your lovely comments.
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 8:03pm On Feb 04, 2018
Rubyventures:

That's the whole idea, to open my own fashion house one day.

Any tips on sewing with Velvet?

It’s better to use a ball point needle and using a zig zag stitch. Simple styles are much better.
Re: Sewing for beginners by Rubyventures: 10:36am On Feb 05, 2018
marylandcakes:

It’s better to use a ball point needle and using a zig zag stitch. Simple styles are much better.

Thanks for this. grin
Re: Sewing for beginners by Rubyventures: 10:37am On Feb 05, 2018
marylandcakes:

See the dress bodice above. Take this to the waist and you have got your front bodice.
The difference between the front and back is the armhole, the French dart and the length of the darts.

Thanks for your lovely comments.

What is the length of the back darts?
Re: Sewing for beginners by Rubyventures: 10:42am On Feb 05, 2018
@ OP I don't know if you have noticed these very big sleeves that are in vogue now , there is this dress that I saw and those sleeves were to die for. How do you sew those balloon sleeves? any tips? Thanks grin
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 12:24am On Feb 06, 2018
Rubyventures:
@ OP I don't know if you have noticed these very big sleeves that are in vogue now , there is this dress that I saw and those sleeves were to die for. How do you sew those balloon sleeves? any tips? Thanks grin

I already have a video on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqQA0yN5l8w
Re: Sewing for beginners by Rubyventures: 10:59am On Feb 06, 2018
marylandcakes:

Whoa!! this is very good. Well done
Re: Sewing for beginners by Rubyventures: 12:56pm On Feb 06, 2018
marylandcakes:

Thanks for this
Re: Sewing for beginners by marylandcakes: 11:40pm On Feb 06, 2018
Rubyventures:

Thanks for this

You are very welcome

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply)

5 Ways To Make Your Beard Grow Faster / Lady Wears Panties To A Mall In Lagos (Photos Trending) / Ladies, Why Do You Wear Waist Beads?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.