Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,992 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:27 PM

British Lawmaker Tells FG: Treat Education As Humanitarian Need - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / British Lawmaker Tells FG: Treat Education As Humanitarian Need (323 Views)

Potentials Of History Education As A Discipline In Nigeria / African Parents See Education As A Contest!!!!! / What Can Make You Treat Your Pen This Way? #Hilarious photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

British Lawmaker Tells FG: Treat Education As Humanitarian Need by Newsbreakers: 2:02am On Jun 06, 2016
A British parliamentarian and Shadow Secretary of State for International Development, Diane Abbott has called on the Nigerian government and the global community to consider access to education as a humanitarian need.

Abbott disclosed this in Lagos at the Spring Lecture 2016, titled “Education: reach for the stars; ensuring access for all,” an event organised by the Oxford and Cambridge Club of Nigeria.

She spoke on ‘the transformative power of education’, urging the Federal government to embark on an inclusive education that would extend quality learning to all citizens, including the physically-challenged.

The lawmaker reiterated that Nigeria cannot afford the consequences of exclusive education that can manifest in increased terrorism and poverty; noting that the country could change its economic future if “it can buy into access to quality education.”

“This strategy is necessary for every country seeking to grow its economy. Education is correlated to economic growth.

“Education lies in the heart of many social issues. By pushing for education, you are advancing the growth of the entire society… I am campaigning for access to education because I know its transformative power.

“With access to quality education, Nigeria and other African governments could reverse migration challenges; many refugees I related with admitted that education was more essential than shelter,” Abbott revealed.

Although, the speaker acknowledged that it was not her responsibility to advise the Nigerian government on its education policies, she noted that the country needed “a range of skills” to develop the economy and reduce poverty.

“We cannot afford to have children learn with a curriculum that reflects the realities of 20 years ago,” she shares her displeasure on the obsolete education system.

The Nigerian society needs to have the will to elect political leaders that can face the issues and address them.”

Narrating her personal experience, she argued that education, not the conditions surrounding the birth of an individual, was a key determinant of life achievements.

Abbott further disclosed, “Both of my parents stopped school at 14. But with perseverance, I got my degree from the Cambridge University. Cambridge gave me confidence. It taught me that I was as good as any other person in the world. That made me excel in civil service, politics and other areas.”

Dr. Amy Jadesimi, the Managing Director of the Lagos Deep Offshore Logistics, who chaired the event, said a country that refused to educate its citizens would encounter disaster.

He described Abbott as an example that inspired different people of the world to want to learn.

President of the club, Mr. Akinfela Akoni announced the unveiling of scholarship to support Nigerians studying in Oxford and Cambridge universities.

Akoni disclosed that the association is also planning a community-based project aimed at supporting the internally-displaced persons in the country.
Re: British Lawmaker Tells FG: Treat Education As Humanitarian Need by ademasta(m): 3:49am On Jun 06, 2016
Abi

(1) (Reply)

#trending >>vegetable Stew Over Tomatoes ... / Gates Cambridge Scholarships For International Students. / INFORMATICA Online Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.