Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,609 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:07 AM

Mass Violence Mars London Derby - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Mass Violence Mars London Derby (3828 Views)

Howard Webb To Officiate Manchester Derby / Andre Marriner To Referee Manchester Derby / Liverpool 6 Derby 0 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mass Violence Mars London Derby by ndelta1(m): 8:13am On Aug 26, 2009
Mass violence mars London derby
Riot police and fans outside Upton Park
Fighting began around the stadium almost two hours before kick-off

A man has been stabbed in the chest during "large-scale trouble" involving hundreds of fans at West Ham's Carling Cup match against Millwall.

Fights broke out at 1800 BST and were still raging five hours later. A 44-year-old man is stable after being stabbed in Priory Road at 2025 BST.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said missiles had been thrown at officers but none were injured.

Inside Upton Park stadium West Ham fans invaded the pitch three times.

By 2300 BST several hundred West Ham fans had congregated outside the stadium chanting and bombarding police with crates and bottles.

The first pitch invasion was after West Ham's equaliser, while the second more serious invasion happened after they scored a penalty.

It took officials about six minutes to clear about 50 people from the pitch and police had to redeploy within the stadium to tackle the invasion.

West Ham won the game 3-1 after extra time, upon which there was a third invasion by hundreds of fans.

About 200 riot police and at least 20 mounted officers were at the ground and a police helicopter circled the area.

The Press Association quoted an unnamed 19-year-old saying he saw a police officer being kicked on the ground.

The police spokesman said: "There is large-scale trouble involving hundreds of fans which we are dealing with at the moment.

Fan invading pitch
About 50 fans invaded the pitch after West Ham equalised

"Officers are now containing it but there is still disorder. Hundreds of fans are estimated to be involved."

One pub reportedly had its windows broken by bricks during running battles across several streets up to half a mile from the stadium.

Eyewitnesses told of hooligans trying to rip out bollards and lighting "small fires".

Five arrests have been confirmed, including one for affray and one for breaching a banning order.

BBC radio reporter Ben Jacobs, who was at the stadium, said: "The trouble broke out outside the Tube station about 600 yards from the ground.

"There were [hundreds of] riot police and Millwall fans managed to break through the divide."

'Really intimidating'

Tony, a steward at the game, told BBC Radio 5 live they were powerless to stop the violence.

He said: "When you have 2,900 Millwall fans it is really intimidating.

"There is not a lot you can do - you have to hope the police presence can help you out."

There were loads of people with bloodied faces
Local shop owner

A 29-year-old man had to close his kebab shop in nearby Green Street for two hours.

He said: "All hell broke loose - it was very frightening.

"Bottles and bricks were being thrown from the back and some were hitting West Ham fans at the front.

"There were loads of people with bloodied faces."

Aaron Smith, from Hemel Hempstead, who was at the game, said: "I saw one man cornered by at least a dozen Millwall fans before kick-off. Terrifying scenes."

And a Millwall fan told the BBC: "It was like a war zone outside the stadium. There was fighting all round.

"I brought my kids with me tonight and they've seen some violence that is indescribable."

A Football Association spokesman said: "We absolutely condemn the disorder.

"We expect all culprits to be banned from football for life - they have no place in our game."

Are you at the game? Send us your comments using the post form below.

A selection of your comments may be published, displaying your name and location unless you state otherwise in the box below.

Send your pictures to yourpics@bbc.co.uk, text them to 61124 or you have a large file you can upload here.

Read the terms and conditions

At no time should you endanger yourself or others, take any unnecessary risks or infringe any laws.
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by HNIC(m): 9:05am On Aug 26, 2009
Totally disgraceful!!!

Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by HNIC(m): 9:07am On Aug 26, 2009
West ham fans invading the pitch! shocked

Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by tkb417(m): 9:12am On Aug 26, 2009
i tot these West Ham guys have turned a new leaf
bastards!

inner city firm abi who are these ones again
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by mukina2: 11:53am On Aug 26, 2009
sad sad and disgraceful sad

they learnt from the Chavs, scummies and the liverpool fans.

One of the reasons why i never want England to qualify for anything . sad Imagine all this hooligans supporting a team in common shocked
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by MrCrackles(m): 11:58am On Aug 26, 2009
Millwall FC have the most die-hard, violent and thuggish fans in London!
I am not surprised at all. . . .
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by tkb417(m): 11:59am On Aug 26, 2009
MrCrackles:

Millwall FC have the most die-hard, violent and thuggish fans in London!
I am not surprised at all. . . .

but in this case, it wasnt them. The hammers triggered the melee
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by eldee(m): 12:04pm On Aug 26, 2009
tkb417:

i tot these West Ham guys have turned a new leaf
bastards!

inner city firm abi who are these ones again
Millwall fans are probably the most violent fans in English football
They're thugs . . .
60000 Arsenal fans is a fanbase, 2900 Millwall fans is a riot. grin
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by MrCrackles(m): 12:05pm On Aug 26, 2009
tkb417:

but in this case, it wasnt them
There are some fans you will try to pick fights with and wont do much. . . Expect a bloodbath with Millwall FC
WestHam FC fans dont have the staff when it comes to footy hooliganism in London
What i am trying to say basically is that with Millwall FC playing, any opposition supporter who trespass or flex, will witness something big!
I am more on about the fights that broke out at the tube station before the game and not the pitch invation!
I know people who witnessed the ugly incident!
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by MrCrackles(m): 12:08pm On Aug 26, 2009
eldee:

Spot on. . .
Way back when i was younger and on a Boys/YTS with Leyton Orient FC, we used to get scared shit to go play games up at Millwall
Despite it being youth team games, noone was spared, parents cursing, fans threatening and match officials arnt even safe at that level. . .
If you are gonna do a count of violent youth and reserve team footballers, Millwall FC will take the staff again - It is what i av seen and know!
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by tkb417(m): 12:12pm On Aug 26, 2009
MrCrackles:

There are some fans you will try to pick fights with and wont do much. . . Expect a bloodbath with Millwall FC
WestHam FC fans dont have the staff when it comes to footy hooliganism in London
What i am trying to say basically is that with Millwall FC playing, any opposition supporter who trespass or flex, will witness something big!
I am more on about the fights that broke out at the tube station before the game and not the pitch invation!
I know people who witnessed the ugly incident!

oh ok

eldee:

They're thugs . . .
60000 Arsenal fans is a fanbase, 2900 Millwall fans is a riot. grin
ol boi
i know Milwall is like our staionery stores in Lagos. i know
was wondering why the Hammers decided to choose Milwall as a sparring partner even in victory

didnt know about the tube station incident tho. maybe the one on the pitch was an add on to the what happened at the tube
I really dont want any drastic action taken against Upton Park cos that would affect Zolas quest to rebuild the team.

i really cant understand the need for the fight
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by MrCrackles(m): 12:15pm On Aug 26, 2009
tkb417:

Is Stationary Stores still functioning?
TKB u must be about 35-40 ooo! shocked grin
I hear old folks talk about Stationary Stores when they talk about good ol days of Nigeria footy league!
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by Nobody: 12:26pm On Aug 26, 2009
MrCrackles:

I hear old folks talk about Stationary Stores when they talk about good ol days of Nigeria footy league!

grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy

I wan laugh die.
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by eldee(m): 12:29pm On Aug 26, 2009
tkb417:

ol boi
was wondering why the Hammers decided to choose Milwall as a sparring partner even in victory

didnt know about the tube station incident tho. maybe the one on the pitch was an add on to the what happened at the tube
I really dont want any drastic action taken against Upton Park cos that would affect Zolas quest to rebuild the team.

i really cant understand the need for the fight
It usually starts from sumn simple and then others join in
Thank God Emirati's safe . . . Millwall fans can hang themselves for all I care grin

MrCrackles:

Spot on. . .
Way back when i was younger and on a Boys/YTS with Leyton Orient FC, we used to get scared shit to go play games up at Millwall
Despite it being youth team games, noone was spared, parents cursing, fans threatening and match officials arnt even safe at that level. . .
If you are gonna do a count of violent youth and reserve team footballers, Millwall FC will take the staff again - It is what i av seen and know!

Hehehe . . . they prolly get violent in Friendlies too cheesy
I've heard SE residents talk of how Millwall's Play-off Fixtures are their worst nightmares
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by tkb417(m): 12:33pm On Aug 26, 2009
MrCrackles:

late 20s bro grin grin grin
i knw all about stores cos im related to d owners grin

stationery stores used to be the Milwall of 9ja footie
bad guys.

i cant count the number of times they travelled to another state and chase people outta the stadium grin
it happened in Abeokuta once and my oh my, all indigenes had to flee the environs while they continued unleashing mayhem. imagine Lagosians chasing Ogun people outta the stadium grin
thank God they are no more grin
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by MrCrackles(m): 12:36pm On Aug 26, 2009
tkb417:

late 20s bro grin grin grin
i knw all about stores cos im related to d owners grin
bad guys.
i cant count the number of times they travelled to another state and chase people outta the stadium grin
[b]it happened in Abeokuta once and my oh my, all indigenes had to flee the environs while they continued unleashing mayhem. imagine Lagosians chasing Ogun people outta the stadium grin[/b]thank God they are no more grin
Serious shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin
Man i fear ooo! grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by eldee(m): 12:45pm On Aug 26, 2009
tkb417:

bad guys.

it happened in Abeokuta once and my oh my, all indigenes had to flee the environs while they continued unleashing mayhem. imagine Lagosians chasing Ogun people outta the stadium grin
thank God they are no more grin
My dad told me bout that . . .funny thing is, they never used to pay for tickets because they were fans cheesy cheesy
Like WTF!!! If Man City tried that, that Arab would go bankrupt cheesy
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by kaypumpin2(m): 12:53pm On Aug 26, 2009
Tkb so are related to the Adebajos grin. . . . ?you are a confirmed thug son. grin

Back to the topic.This is DISGRACEFUL.
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by tkb417(m): 12:56pm On Aug 26, 2009
kay_pumpin:

Tkb so are related to the Adebajos grin. . . . ?you are a confirmed thug son. grin

Back to the topic.This is DISGRACEFUL.
thats my name my person
edit sharpish grin grin

you know im a thug grin
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by tkb417(m): 12:59pm On Aug 26, 2009
eldee:

My dad told me bout that . . .funny thing is, they never used to pay for tickets because they were fans cheesy cheesy
Like WTF!!! If Man City tried that, that Arab would go bankrupt cheesy
stores used to be a cankerworm in our local footie then

we thank God for his mercies now tho
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by Vieira(m): 1:58pm On Aug 26, 2009
Millwall fans are the Olympic champions of football hooliganism and any firm that wants to prove themselves want to fight Millwall.

I understand that all the retired thugs in West Ham came out of retirement for this fight.

As soon as the fixture was announced, forums were full of people arranging the fights.

That is why must of them are not in the club colours.

Millwall vs any of these will always be trouble: west ham, chelsea, leeds, cardiff
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by tkb417(m): 2:11pm On Aug 26, 2009
Vieira:

Millwall fans are the Olympic champions of football hooliganism and any firm that wants to prove themselves want to fight Millwall.

I understand that all the retired thugs in West Ham came out of retirement for this fight.

As soon as the fixture was announced, forums were full of people arranging the fights.

Millwall vs any of these will always be trouble: west ham, chelsea, leeds, cardiff
grin grin grin grin
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by Sauron1: 2:16pm On Aug 26, 2009
Vieira:

MILLWALL: No One Likes Us But We Don't Care.
Their fans are FEARSOME.
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by dayokanu(m): 3:43pm On Aug 26, 2009
English fans at it again Its ok as long as they dont bring it to the continent

Like Leeds vs Galatasaray, Chelsea vs Barca, Liverpool vs Juventus (Heysel)
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by MrCrackles(m): 3:46pm On Aug 26, 2009
dayokanu:

Will you shut up!
tongue
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by dayokanu(m): 4:10pm On Aug 26, 2009
Do you have an other thing to say?
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by chic2pimp(m): 4:17pm On Aug 26, 2009
One of my friends went to the match @ upton park. According to him and a few others,there were other factors than those that meet the eye that contributed to the violence . They was racist chanting i.e fans chanting yid and paki @ another(it seems the bnp have highjacked some of these football matches and used them for political puposes)
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by davidif: 12:26am On Aug 27, 2009
i cant count the number of times they travelled to another state and chase people outta the stadium
it happened in Abeokuta once and my oh my, all indigenes had to flee the environs while they continued unleashing mayhem. imagine Lagosians chasing Ogun people outta the stadium thank God they are no more

ha ha ha ha.
Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by HNIC(m): 9:14am On Aug 27, 2009
More pics from the Mayhem

Millwall fans Vs the Police

Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by HNIC(m): 9:22am On Aug 27, 2009
*Carlton Cole being shown love by a fan*

Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by HNIC(m): 9:47am On Aug 27, 2009
And this is bad

Re: Mass Violence Mars London Derby by eldee(m): 12:11pm On Aug 27, 2009
dayokanu:

Did you hear what Zola said bout it??
He said he'd been in England for almost a decade and he's never seen anything like this
And that it reminds him of his days in Italy . . . so why're you trying to act like we invented it??

(1) (2) (Reply)

Apoel Nicosia Vs Real Madrid (0 - 3) On 27th March 2012 / Bournemouth Vs Liverpool EFL Cup (1 - 2) On 1st November 2023 / Uefa Champions League Draw Tomorrow: Teams And Their Likely Opponents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.