Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,091 members, 7,814,799 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:04 PM

Is An Msc In Finance Worthwhile In This Case Without Corporate Work Experience? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is An Msc In Finance Worthwhile In This Case Without Corporate Work Experience? (1558 Views)

MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please / Can I Do Msc. In Finance With Bsc In Accounting. / Share Your First Day At Work Experience. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is An Msc In Finance Worthwhile In This Case Without Corporate Work Experience? by ThaThinka: 6:49pm On Jun 06, 2016
Hi, people. Please I need your view on something: would you advise someone close to 31 without corporate work experience to pursue a Master's degree in finance? The person in question is me. I entered university at 23 (mainly due to financial constraints) and completed NYSC few months shy of 29 years. Two major challenges I have had so far in job search are age and experience requirements. Maybe I'd have had better chances altering my age, but I don't want to do that (I'm not saying I'm a saint, though).

I have been keeping body and soul together with personal stuffs I have been into for the past several years. Now, I'm considering putting in for an MSc in Finance (had my first degree in Economics) since I still have enough time for such. Thanks to God I'm able to pay for the programme, but I'm wondering if the graduate programme would be really worth it based on my situation. To be honest, I have no motivation for a Master's degree at this time, safe for feeling of accomplishment since I believe I will come good. But is that really enough? Any useful opinions will be appreciated from those who probably know better about this sort of situation. Two heads, they say, are better than one. This is why I'm putting this one out there. No insulting comments, please.
Re: Is An Msc In Finance Worthwhile In This Case Without Corporate Work Experience? by ThaThinka: 12:42pm On Jun 08, 2016
Seriously? Several views and not even a response.
Re: Is An Msc In Finance Worthwhile In This Case Without Corporate Work Experience? by ThaThinka: 8:15am On Jun 04, 2018
Wow! Surprised I couldn't get any input on this.
Re: Is An Msc In Finance Worthwhile In This Case Without Corporate Work Experience? by Abdul4trust1(m): 8:36pm On Jun 04, 2018
Go For It
Re: Is An Msc In Finance Worthwhile In This Case Without Corporate Work Experience? by rossi5(f): 6:45am On Jun 07, 2018
Am thinking in that line too.I have work experience and degree in accounting.. So recently I just taught abt it.y not add something to ur degree so am planing on MSC in finance.
Re: Is An Msc In Finance Worthwhile In This Case Without Corporate Work Experience? by ThaThinka: 9:02pm On Jul 11, 2018
rossi5:
Am thinking in that line too.I have work experience and degree in accounting.. So recently I just taught abt it.y not add something to ur degree so am planing on MSC in finance.

Good for you that you have work experience. You have something to inspire going for Msc. What school do you have in focus?
Re: Is An Msc In Finance Worthwhile In This Case Without Corporate Work Experience? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jul 11, 2018
ThaThinka:

Good for you that you have work experience. You have something to inspire going for Msc. What school do you have in focus?

Do it outside of Naija, Yankee or Canada, you stand a great chance of being gainfully employee post graduation outside Naija, as they pay little to no relevance to age.

Separately, I know things may not be easy, try applying for the CFA Access Scholarship to boost your profile, you may be lucky to get it, would come in handy in applying to highly ranked MSF programmes in Yankee and Canada
Re: Is An Msc In Finance Worthwhile In This Case Without Corporate Work Experience? by ThaThinka: 10:31pm On Jul 12, 2018
Fiyinfoluwa20:

Do it outside of Naija, Yankee or Canada, you stand a great chance of being gainfully employee post graduation outside Naija, as they pay little to no relevance to age.

Separately, I know things may not be easy, try applying for the CFA Access Scholarship to boost your profile, you may be lucky to get it, would come in handy in applying to highly ranked MSF programmes in Yankee and Canada

Thanks, bro (or is it sis?). I'll learn about the scholarship. Sadly, I can't afford study outside the country, let alone the U.S. or Canada. I'd have been long gone if I could.

Edit: It appears you intended quoting rossi5. Right?
Re: Is An Msc In Finance Worthwhile In This Case Without Corporate Work Experience? by Nobody: 12:27am On Jul 13, 2018
ThaThinka:

Thanks, bro (or is it sis?). I'll learn about the scholarship. Sadly, I can't afford study outside the country, let alone the U.S. or Canada. I'd have been long gone if I could.

Edit: It appears you intended quoting rossi5. Right?

Baba you go take loan and read like your life depends on it. That’s it.
Re: Is An Msc In Finance Worthwhile In This Case Without Corporate Work Experience? by CodeTemplar: 7:28am On Jul 13, 2018
I will advice OP to go for course directly related to wealth creation.
Re: Is An Msc In Finance Worthwhile In This Case Without Corporate Work Experience? by ThaThinka: 6:03pm On Jul 13, 2018
Fiyinfoluwa20:

Baba you go take loan and read like your life depends on it. That’s it.

Hm, loan? Never thought I'd need that for whatever purpose. In fact, I pray I never do.

I don't even have any collateral if I wanted to get one.

Thanks for the input, CodeTemplar. Are you a programmer?
Re: Is An Msc In Finance Worthwhile In This Case Without Corporate Work Experience? by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 14, 2018
ThaThinka:

Hm, loan? Never thought I'd need that for whatever purpose. In fact, I pray I never do.

I don't even have any collateral if I wanted to get one.

Thanks for the input, CodeTemplar. Are you a programmer?

Okay.
Re: Is An Msc In Finance Worthwhile In This Case Without Corporate Work Experience? by rossi5(f): 12:08pm On Jul 14, 2018
ThaThinka:

Unilag
Re: Is An Msc In Finance Worthwhile In This Case Without Corporate Work Experience? by ThaThinka: 4:40pm On Jul 14, 2018
rossi5:

Unilag

Are you sure they accept Bsc in Accounting for Msc Finance?

I think the school indicated back in 2016 that it'd only accept first degree in Finance or Banking. That's what made me shelf the second degree. I didn't want to do Economics again.

The school had accepted first degree in Economics, Accounting and some other courses until 2015.
Re: Is An Msc In Finance Worthwhile In This Case Without Corporate Work Experience? by Deprofessional(m): 5:28pm On Jul 14, 2018
ThaThinka:

I think the school indicated back in 2016 that it'd only accept first degree in Finance or Banking. That's what made me shelf the second degree. I didn't want to do Economics again.

The school had accepted first degree in Economics, Accounting and some other courses until 2015.

I read accounting. I'm currently doing Msc finance in unilag.
We just wrote our last exams for the semester today.

Yes, UNILAG accepts Bsc accounting for Msc finance.

Form is on sale now.
Re: Is An Msc In Finance Worthwhile In This Case Without Corporate Work Experience? by rossi5(f): 11:06pm On Jul 14, 2018
ThaThinka:

Really..thank's for the info..I will enquire more abt that..if not finance.. Mgt then..don't want to continue with accounting or what do u think
Re: Is An Msc In Finance Worthwhile In This Case Without Corporate Work Experience? by ThaThinka: 3:47pm On Jul 15, 2018
rossi5:

Really..thank's for the info..I will enquire more abt that..if not finance.. Mgt then..don't want to continue with accounting or what do u think

That finance would be better, if I were to choose.

But as Deprofessional stated, he's doing MSc in finance currently with first degree in accounting. So, you can go confirm and get your form if you are ready. It's like rules change every year.

As for me, I don't think I am interested anymore.

Or can I get your contact to clarify something for me, Deprofessional? The contact of anyone currently running MSc at Unilag can do as well. Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Soil Test & Geotechnical Services In Lagos / 38 Tips To Become Successful In Life / Injustice At It's Peak

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.