Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,855 members, 7,813,912 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:24 PM

9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ (11132 Views)

Pastor Adeboye Visits Samoa, Head Of State And Others Give Life To Christ / Lady Converts A Muslim Uber Driver & Leads Him To Christ. See Reactions / Betty Lasher Who Led Oyedepo To Christ In 1969 (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by hahn(m): 8:11am On Jun 08, 2016

The Promise of Heaven

The most important aspect of Christianity for the enslaved was the promise of heaven — a promise made by plantation owners. This idea preached the notion that for all the suffering that is done in the physical world, your soul will be preserved and you will experience a hardship-free spiritual life, according to Slave Resistance, A Caribbean Study. What this did for enslaved Black people was give them hope for the future. Converted enslaved people’s belief in heaven allowed some to passively resist their plantation owners and focus on the afterlife. With that belief, all of the beatings and lashings meant nothing because in heaven the enslaved person would be rewarded and the master would be punished.

Constant Work

The vigorous, constant plantation work assigned by owners left the enslaved people hardly any time for themselves, and that included religious activities, according to christianitytoday.com. Some plantation owners required the enslaved to work even on Sunday, an intentional move to break them away from their religious regimen and softening them over time to accept whatever religion was presented to them by the plantation owners.

Blocked Communication

Plantation owners separated the enslaved people who spoke the same tribal language so they could not worship together and could be taught Christianity at the same time, according to an article titled The Inconceivable State of African-American Christianity on christianitytoday.com.

Separated Families

Moving family members from one another broke down the spirit of the enslaved, as they believed wholeheartedly in worshipping together, according to academia.edu in a study on the role of religion in Africa. With their family units broken, their African beliefs were broken, too, making them more willing to accepting another religion.

Demonstration of Power

When Africans were captured and brought to America by the Europeans, they often attributed the Europeans’ power to the power of the Europeans’ God. Therefore, it was often easy for some enslaved Africans to begin to worship the victorious Christian God in place of their own gods.

Catholics’ Conversions

Often, African practices were brought into Christianity in new and interesting ways as a way of luring the enslaved into Christianity and away from their religion, according to an article at the Mariners Museum called Captive Passage. Enslaved Africans in Roman Catholic nations often converted easily because of Catholicism’s ability to accommodate and absorb other beliefs.

Mixing of Religious Practices
Symbols and objects, such as crosses, were conflated with charms carried by Africans to ward off evil spirits. Christ was interpreted as a healer similar to the priests of Africa, according to PBS’ Slavery and the Making of America. In the New World, fusions of African spirituality and Christianity led to distinct new practices among enslaved populations, including voodoo or vodun in Haiti and Spanish Louisiana. Although African religious influences were also important among Northern Black people, exposure to Old World religions was more intense in the South, where the density of the Black population was greater.

Social Control

In the Caribbean colonies of Cuba and Saint-Domingue, religion was taught to enslaved Africans as a means of social control more than as a means to edify their souls, according to an article titled Slave Religion in Central and South America. Especially in the colonies’ early days, while the plantations were small and the enslaved population was not huge, plantation owners used religion to teach obedience. In Cuba and Brazil, Catholic saints were often equated with gods from Africa — generating familiarity for the enslaved.

Source: http://atlantablackstar.com/2015/04/10/9-devastating-actions-white-slaves-masters-took-to-convert-black-people-to-christianity/

9 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by Tellemall: 8:44am On Jun 08, 2016
Thank God they did that. Now we have Christians. wink

And the world is better for it.

You might want to bring up such information on other religions. It's very interesting.

Modified

This post was months ago. I don't know who is reviving this, but face the facts. Your world is shaped by religious education. Stop crying over spilt milk.

You're using your technology made from the labors of educated religious people to sound like you would've done better running wild and eating yourselves. Non-Black educated religious people, by the way.

If you don't like it, remove yourself from the world and stop trying to sound like you can do any better. All that forced religion is working wonders worldwide.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by JackBizzle: 9:00am On Jun 08, 2016
Tellemall:

You might want to bring up such information on other religions. It's very interesting.

I think you need to broaden your horizon.

Slavery and Christianity are not good things for Africans.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by hahn(m): 10:29am On Jun 08, 2016
Tellemall:

undecided

Seriously? undecided

Wetin do your own hand? undecided

3 Likes

Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by Tellemall: 11:38am On Jun 08, 2016
hahn:

undecided

Seriously? undecided

Wetin do your own hand? undecided

My hand? But you started an interesting thread. I believe it would be interesting if you went ahead and did the rest of the world's religions.

Then you can compare devastating actions of religions on slaves.

2 Likes

Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by hahn(m): 11:54am On Jun 08, 2016
Tellemall:

My hand? But you started an interesting thread. I believe it would be interesting if you went ahead and did the rest of the world's religions.

Then you can compare devastating actions of religions on slaves.

I also think it will be interesting if YOU did it grin

Oh, I forgot, you think slavery is ..... how did you put it?

Tellemall:

undecided
Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jun 08, 2016
Whenever I think of the ways Europeans attacked the African race defeating them almost entierly, I usually appauld in a sort of impressed horrorful way.

Their methods were brilliant. Terrible yes, but brilliant.

It worked so well that 60 years after completely leaving the continent, it is a firm belief in the minds of some of the rural folks that "Africans cannot rule themselves".

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by Tellemall: 1:57pm On Jun 08, 2016
JackBizzle:

Slavery and Christianity are not good things for Africans.

You're myopic.

You need to realize that most of the world's religions proliferated through slavery, Christianity inclusive.

@hahn, yes the world is better for it. If blacks weren't taken as slaves and Africa was never colonized, you would still be running about naked, looking for berries and worshipping stones.
Blacks were not made for Dominion. They were made to be subjugation, be it by religion or force. And they are better for it.

Does nairaland change people's words? Because i didn't intend on typing unclad. I meant buck nekkid.
Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by JackBizzle: 4:51pm On Jun 08, 2016
Tellemall:

You're myopic.

You need to realize that most of the world's religions proliferated through slavery, Christianity inclusive.

@hahn, yes the world is better for it. If blacks weren't taken as slaves and Africa was never colonized, you would still be running about naked, looking for berries and worshipping stones.
Blacks were not made for Dominion. They were made to be subjugation, be it by religion or force. And they are better for it.

Does nairaland change people's words? Because i didn't intend on typing unclad. I meant buck nekkid.

The irony!

Colonisation has made you silly.

Colonisation does not develop while forcing culture on the colonised. Trade, on the other hand, develops and spreads culture.

Without colonisation, Africa as a whole woUld still have developed.

Also, our ancestors were not butt nakkid. Stop accepting white man's lies

How do you explain African prints? Those who use animal skins to cover?

Yes some tribes were nakkid but many were not

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by hahn(m): 5:24pm On Jun 08, 2016
Tellemall:

You're myopic.

You need a history lesson son undecided

4 Likes

Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jun 08, 2016
SirWere:
Whenever I think of the ways Europeans attacked the African race defeating them almost entierly, I usually appauld in a sort of impressed horrorful way.

It worked so well that 60 years after completely leaving the continent, it is a firm belief in the minds of some of the rural folks that "Africans cannot rule themselves".
wink
Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jun 08, 2016
hahn:

You need a history lesson son undecided
The Bible is His History Lesson. It starts with Adam and ends with Rapture. A simple life. Nothing better.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jun 08, 2016
SirWere:

it is pitiful, sad, horrific, disheartening, but very true what you wrote.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by hahn(m): 9:09am On Oct 15, 2016
Bump cheesy
Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by JackBizzle: 11:09am On Oct 15, 2016
We never see christians here!

Kingebukasblog, Winner01, rachonndas, make una come here and defend your christian slave masters.

1 Like

Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by Nobody: 11:31am On Oct 15, 2016
JackBizzle:

Kingebukasblog, Winner01, rachonndas, make una come here and defend your christian slave masters.
I'm sure they'll defend it, they always find a way after all. I've seen Christians on Nairaland defend rape, genocide, filicide, slavery, incest, misogyny, infanticide and torture all in the name of God and the bible.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by raphieMontella: 11:37am On Oct 15, 2016
JackBizzle:

Kingebukasblog, Winner01, rachhoddas, make una come here and defend your christian slave masters.
you know...
Its directly from the bible..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by EyeHateGod: 12:06pm On Oct 15, 2016
Lennycool:

I'm sure they'll defend it, they always find a way after all. I've seen Christians on Nairaland defend rape, genocide, filicide, slavery, incest, misogyny, infanticide and torture all in the name of God and the bible.
Anything for Yahweh. grin

4 Likes

Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by winner01(m): 2:37pm On Oct 15, 2016
Nice try. Ill address your proof-less thread on the space ive booked below when i have the time.
Cartoons are not proof.

In the mean time, i leave you with this video. Not that I believe it though, but its worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpbTcxai1Kg
Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by winner01(m): 2:43pm On Oct 15, 2016
Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by Ranchhoddas: 3:20pm On Oct 15, 2016
Tellemall:

You're myopic.

Blacks were not made for Dominion.
This is very untrue. Africa would have developed at it's own pace. All races were primitive at one point in history. They all developed with time and without interference. China has developed and is developing without western colonization. It is serious inferiority complex that will make anyone think otherwise. It is argued that the coming of the Europeans has set Africa back centuries. I recommend that you get a copy of the book 'How Europe Underdeveloped Africa' by Walter Rodney.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by raphieMontella: 4:03pm On Oct 15, 2016
Tellemall:

this is what the white men and their religion has reduced your brain to...
Pitiful!
Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by hopefulLandlord: 4:52pm On Oct 15, 2016
Tellemall:

If blacks weren't taken as slaves and Africa was never colonized, you would still be running about naked, looking for berries and worshipping stones.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by Tellemall: 5:06pm On Oct 15, 2016
raphieMontella:

this is what the white men and their religion has reduced your brain to...
Pitiful!

Are you all the same person stumbling across my posts today?

It's most pitiful when a Blacktard refuses to face the truth. You wouldn't be educated if it weren't for religion.

If blacks could dominate, they wouldn't have been caught without pants and colonized by white people.
Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by Tellemall: 5:13pm On Oct 15, 2016
shocked
Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by Ranchhoddas: 5:55pm On Oct 15, 2016
Tellemall:

I think not.

The history of the world is all about dominance. Be it military, religious or economic dominance. Through out the annals of time, the dominant one will always exert it's force, it's religion or its economic ideals on the weaker ones. No place developed soley on its own without external influence.

How many civilized African areas were there? The one or two in Nigeria, with other development centuries far and wide? Come on. Westerners have the talent of developing areas all at the same time, and left to their slowness only one or two hubs would've been developed in Africa by now, and not with the present measure of development. That Africans are still in villages, living by fetching water and hunting beasts in today's modern world, shows that colonization was good because we're it not for colonization you would still be that backward.

If the world develops at its own pace, then Africa is the worst for it. Why are blacks uncommonly backward? Everyone else has finished developing except negroes.

So, it's not about slaving after religions brought by Middle Easterners, as some would think. But the fact that without these religions, the world would be like Africa--devastatingly backward.
What external influence did ancient Egyptian civilizations have. How about ancient Asian civilizations, what external influence did they have? There is so much inferiority complex in your comment I don't even know where to start from.
Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by uvalued(m): 6:16pm On Oct 15, 2016
hehe op you have been freed from christian slavery to mind slavery and you claim you freethinking...well head or tail you are a slave. and i chose mine
Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by hahn(m): 6:25pm On Oct 15, 2016
uvalued:
hehe op you have been freed from christian slavery to mind slavery and you claim you freethinking...well head or tail you are a slave. and i chose mine

Care to elaborate?
Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by JackBizzle: 1:59am On Oct 16, 2016
Tellemall:

I think not.

The history of the world is all about dominance. Be it military, religious or economic dominance. Through out the annals of time, the dominant one will always exert it's force, it's religion or its economic ideals on the weaker ones. No place developed soley on its own without external influence.

How many civilized African areas were there? The one or two in Nigeria, with other development centuries far and wide? Come on. Westerners have the talent of developing areas all at the same time, and left to their slowness only one or two hubs would've been developed in Africa by now, and not with the present measure of development. That Africans are still in villages, living by fetching water and hunting beasts in today's modern world, shows that colonization was good because we're it not for colonization you would still be that backward.

If the world develops at its own pace, then Africa is the worst for it. Why are blacks uncommonly backward? Everyone else has finished developing except negroes.

So, it's not about slaving after religions brought by Middle Easterners, as some would think. But the fact that without these religions, the world would be like Africa--devastatingly backward.

Ignorance and inferiority complex. If there's any reason why Africa is backwards, it is because of people like you.

1) Africa is not the only part of the world still trying to develop. Many parts of Asia are still backwards.

2) The things that develop countries are trade and nationalism. Let's compare China and Nigeria. China and Nigeria were both invaded by the british. China never accepted the british religion or their culture. Nigeria on the other hand, accepted the christianity and were enslaved. China was also a trade route for the mongols and some middle easterners. Today, China is more developed.

3) Religion does not develop a country. Just look at the most developed countries- they are either not religious or throwing their religion away.

4) No outsider develops your country for you. Take India for example, they always put their hinduism before the british christianity. And today they are better than Nigeria. The indians also rejected the British economic slavery put on them. You can read up on the salt revolt.

I hope you open your mind to learn and stop this slave mentality of yours

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by Tellemall: 7:35am On Oct 16, 2016
JackBizzle:

Ignorance and inferiority complex. If there's any reason why Africa is backwards, it is because of people like you.

1) Africa is not the only part of the world still trying to develop. Many parts of Asia are still backwards.

2) The things that develop countries are trade and nationalism. Let's compare China and Nigeria. China and Nigeria were both invaded by the british. China never accepted the british religion or their culture. Nigeria on the other hand, accepted the christianity and were enslaved. China was also a trade route for the mongols and some middle easterners. Today, China is more developed.

3) Religion does not develop a country. Just look at the most developed countries- they are either not religious or throwing their religion away.

4) No outsider develops your country for you. Take India for example, they always put their hinduism before the british christianity. And today they are better than Nigeria. The indians also rejected the British economic slavery put on them. You can read up on the salt revolt.

I hope you open your mind to learn and stop this slave mentality of yours

Drop your superiority complex. You are the direct result of the hard work which white people put into colonizing Africa with religion and military might. Bow to reality.

No wonder India is little different from Nigeria. You see what happens to places that reject westernization? They still always come back to trying to mimic the Western world with their fake products and hilarious things like pedal powered carts in the year 2016.

Oh, get over your hate for religion. Did you know the Romans who invented aqueducts were religious people? Who invented algebra? Wasn't it religious people? Was al-Qwarizmi a local black African? Your beloved Pythagoras theorem wasn't made on stone. If not for the education of religious people, your world would be in the stone age with the rest of uncivilized Africa. Religion has always shaped the mental strength of man needed for development.

China has gotten far from mimicking western products. Not by some invention of their own. Because left to themselves they don't have anything to offer the world except killing all the whales. If not for westernization and the discovery of Western oil, they would still be uncivilized and whetting their appetite on rare species.

So just stop your hate for westernization and religion. The world would be backwards without it. You wouldn't be typing all that without it. And you are better for it.

It is so hypocritical that you don't really think through what you're saying against them. You are hypocritical because you live a Western life and try to claim you could have it all without whites, religion and colonization. You couldn't. They did Africa and blacks a huge service.

So quit being thoughtless and spouting garb such as "inferiority complex and ignorance" because you Africans with superiority complexes are just stupid.

If Africans are so superior, why have they proven to be so backward that they needed white people to cross oceans and colonize them? These same black people that couldn't build a bridge to cross streams.

Africans like you need more colonization. You need enslavement to move you to the promised land. Right now you're in mental bondage, slave to the viva Africa spirit, when you're living the viva West life.
Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by Tellemall: 7:38am On Oct 16, 2016
kiss
Re: 9 Devastating Actions White Slave Masters Took To Convert Black People To Christ by Ranchhoddas: 8:13am On Oct 16, 2016
Tellemall:

Ever heard of trade?

Your claims to inferiority complex are so irritating because you who is a black African cannot contribute anything to your world in the way the western civilization has, except under more western tutelage.

In fact, you strive so much to be westernized that you are on a phone and speaking English.

Once someone disagrees with your African love you term it an inferiority complex. Please. Call a spade a spade. There is no such thing as an inferiority complex when civilization is being discussed.

You can talk about an inferiority complex when black women need to use hair extensions, but not when you talk about things that move the world forward.
What do you mean by trade? Trade as far as I know is buying and selling. Are you saying that buying and selling was what was responsibe for the ancient Egyptian and Asian civilizations? If yes, trade with who?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rccg Sunday School Manual(23/07/2017) Rapture: Purpose And Qualification / EVOLUTION SPOILER!: Soft Tissue In Dinosaur Fossil, University Settles Scientist / Who Is The Head Of A Christian Home? Christ Or The Husband?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.