Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,511 members, 7,812,584 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:41 PM

What You Need To Know About The Man Infront Of Olympic 2b Exercise Book - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / What You Need To Know About The Man Infront Of Olympic 2b Exercise Book (1482 Views)

Peter Okoye Drives N30m Dodge Challenger To Renew His Contract With Olympic Milk / Dele Momodu Observing National Anthem Infront Of His TV During Nigeria Match / Linda Ikeji Strikes A Pose Infront Of Her Multi Million Naira Mansion. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What You Need To Know About The Man Infront Of Olympic 2b Exercise Book by frankhennry6(m): 11:19am On Jun 09, 2016
The first time Emmanuel Ifeajuna appeared before a crowd of thousands he did something no black African had ever done. He won a gold medal at an international sporting event. “Nigeria Creates World Sensation,” ran the headline in the West African Pilot after Ifeajuna’s record-breaking victory in the high jump at the 1954 Empire and Commonwealth Games in Vancouver. 

He was the pride of Nigeria and the whole continent. An editorial asked: “Who among our people did not weep for sheer joy when Nigeria came uppermost, beating all whites and blacks together?”

In the words of a former schoolmate, Ifeajuna had leaped “to the very pinnacle of Nigerian sporting achievement”. His nine track and field team-mates won another six silver and bronze medals, prompting a special correspondent to write “Rejoice with me, oh ye sports lovers of Nigeria, for the remarkable achievements of our boys”.

Ifeajuna, feted wherever he went, would soon see his picture on the front of school exercise books.

He was a great national hero who would remain Nigeria’s only gold medallist, in Commonwealth or Olympic sport, until 1966.

The next time Ifeajuna appeared before a crowd of thousands he was bare-chested and tied to a stake, facing execution before a seething mob. He had >>>>> Full story ...... http://360clickng..com/2016/06/sad-emmanuel-ifeajuna-from-commonwealth.html

2 Shares

Re: What You Need To Know About The Man Infront Of Olympic 2b Exercise Book by Smellymouth: 11:29am On Jun 09, 2016
Emmanuel Arinze Ifeajuna----

*He was the first Black African to win a gold medal at an international sports event when he won at the 1954 British Empire and Commonwealth Games.

*His winning mark and personal best of 6 ft 8 in (2.03 m) was a games record and a British Empire record at the time.

RESPECT

Nota Bene:: His involvement in the 1966 coup ain't my business cool
Re: What You Need To Know About The Man Infront Of Olympic 2b Exercise Book by ireneony(f): 11:33am On Jun 09, 2016
Interesting
Re: What You Need To Know About The Man Infront Of Olympic 2b Exercise Book by Emeka71(m): 11:36am On Jun 09, 2016
But what am I hearing about the former athlete now ?
Re: What You Need To Know About The Man Infront Of Olympic 2b Exercise Book by sinaj(f): 11:36am On Jun 09, 2016
Smellymouth:
Wow, I never knew
now we knw smiley
Re: What You Need To Know About The Man Infront Of Olympic 2b Exercise Book by Nobody: 11:37am On Jun 09, 2016
Waoooo...... Interesting.....gringrin

*Thank God say I use dey book...grin

Re: What You Need To Know About The Man Infront Of Olympic 2b Exercise Book by Judeoxide(m): 11:37am On Jun 09, 2016
Thats very interesting, serious I have always been wondering what that picture ment since I was I primary school but no technology to show me... Even my teachers at times are dumb...
Re: What You Need To Know About The Man Infront Of Olympic 2b Exercise Book by Smellymouth: 11:38am On Jun 09, 2016
sinaj:
now we knw smiley

grin cheesy grin.. I learnt something today smiley

You ran away, check the other side grin
Re: What You Need To Know About The Man Infront Of Olympic 2b Exercise Book by Profoba40(m): 12:49pm On Jun 09, 2016
Waoh... Very informative... .... Kip it up
Re: What You Need To Know About The Man Infront Of Olympic 2b Exercise Book by justicejay(m): 3:01pm On Jun 09, 2016
Really? Whaooo. He needs to be celebrated once again but oh no he forfeit it.

(1) (Reply)

Actress Uche Nnanna And Her Son In Matching Outfit / Chris Brown Shuns Kenyan Woman For A Selfie! See Kenyans Reaction / Yemi Alade Shows Off Her Grammy Invitation Letter (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.