Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,391 members, 7,819,403 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:44 PM

FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi (23923 Views)

Portion Of Stephen Keshi Stadium Collapses In Asaba,Cars Destroyed. Photos / Stephen Keshi Died Of Cardiac Arrest - Family / Stephen Keshi Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by robosky02(m): 11:29am On Jun 09, 2016
"My dream is to build a strong team for Nigerians and give these players a reason to be footballers. And to show the many players that are coming up behind that they can become somebody in football. That's my dream,"

Those words came from Nigeria legend Stephen Keshi two years ago, as he prepared the Super Eagles to take flight in Brazil. Throughout his stellar playing and managerial career, 'Big Boss' certainly allowed fans, team-mates and his own players themselves to dream. Tributes from around the footballing world have poured in for Keshi, after his tragic and sudden passing at the age of 54.

Keshi was a born leader. An imposing central defender, he took games by the scruff of the neck and dictated matches from his position of influence as captain throughout much of his Super Eagles career. He marshalled a miserly Nigeria defence to the 1994 CAF Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) title, conceding just three goals on the path to victory. He then coached his nation to the same title almost two decades later - the side conceding four goals this time - becoming only the second man to win the AFCON as player and coach.

His influence on the pitch cannot be underestimated. He enjoyed a successful club career in his home continent before exporting his talents to Europe, starring in cup and league-winning Anderlecht sides and endearing himself to Strasbourg fans in France with a stunning long range goal against Rennes that helped promote Le Racing to Ligue 1.

It is Keshi's international career that will perhaps evoke the strongest memories though. As well as playing his part in that memorable AFCON title in 1994, he helped guide the Super Eagles to their first FIFA World Cup™, playing five games on the road to the USA before featuring just once at the finals (as captain) due to injury.

“I would like to express my deepest sympathy on hearing the news of the loss of the Nigeria great Stephen Keshi.
FIFA President Gianni Infantino.

With many African countries looking for coaching experience from outside the continent to lead their countries at major tournaments, Keshi was a beacon of hope for coaches from the mother continent. Not only was he the first Nigerian to lead his country to the AFCON title, he was the first African coach to lead a team to the Round of 16 at a World Cup, achieving that feat at Brazil 2014.

FIFA President Gianni Infantino wrote a letter of condolence to the President of the Nigeria Football Federation Amaju Pinnick upon hearing the tragic news.

“I would like to express my deepest sympathy on hearing the news of the loss of the Nigeria great Stephen Keshi," FIFA President Infantino wrote. “On behalf of the international football community, please allow me to extend my deepest condolences to the football community of Nigeria and, most importantly, to Stephen’s family, friends and love ones. We hope that, in some way, our words of support may help bring a little bit of peace and solace in this time of sadness."

Messages of sympathy have also flooded social media after news of Keshi's death stunned the global footballing community.

"Horrible news and a sad day. We lost an iconic hero today," Sunday Oliseh, a former Nigeria coach who played alongside Keshi reflected. while former Zambia international Kalusha Bwalya noted: "I can't believe it. I am in shock. Football legend."

"Keshi was a superhero," Nigeria Football Federation President Pinnick said. "His death is a big loss to Nigeria as a nation, not only to Nigeria football."

http://www.fifa.com/news/y=2016/m=6/news=football-says-goodbye-to-nigeria-s-big-boss-2800477.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by robosky02(m): 11:39am On Jun 09, 2016
The iconic Nigerian player and national team coach - Keshi reveals the story behind the number that he wore throughout his playing career.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/videos/y=2014/m=6/video=what-my-number-means-stephen-keshi-2379642.html

1 Like

Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by betpointz: 11:47am On Jun 09, 2016
RIP
Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by ireneony(f): 1:20pm On Jun 09, 2016
Rip

1 Like

Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jun 09, 2016
First Mohammed Ali, Now Keshi
At least they achieved what some at 90 couldn't attain; that's what living is all about

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by Branzy(m): 1:21pm On Jun 09, 2016
I still can't believe it

3 Likes

Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by lillies: 1:22pm On Jun 09, 2016
RIP

Modified

Who else in PHC noticed the air craft hovering the skies of PHC (GRA 1 area toward the lagos bus stop) ?
About 4 times in 15 minutes (dont know if its the same fighter jet or a fleet of them).
I am not aware of any training taking place at the air assault (NAF Base).
People shoild be alert biko.
The sound is just too loud and they are not flying high at all,

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by seangy4konji: 1:22pm On Jun 09, 2016
rip boss man.
Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by Nelbless(m): 1:23pm On Jun 09, 2016
Why do the dead have so many friends and loved once and never a single enemy.....especially in this part og the world....

2 Likes

Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by Saheed9: 1:23pm On Jun 09, 2016
biggest boss
Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by olojuede01: 1:23pm On Jun 09, 2016
Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jun 09, 2016
Everytime i see keshi's name,i feel like crying.Within 9 months his children are orphans,i cant say i understand their pains,but to every orphan out there,just know there is a FATHER who watches over you and cares for you.RIP KESHI.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by Temmytea70(m): 1:23pm On Jun 09, 2016
OK
Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by Lifehack: 1:25pm On Jun 09, 2016
Rip cry
Tribute 2 a falling Hero

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hllYRcVKe6E[/flash]

4 Likes

Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by dannyben5: 1:25pm On Jun 09, 2016
Branzy:
I still can't believe it
so since yesterday u still dy dream?

1 Share

Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by Adekorya: 1:25pm On Jun 09, 2016
I still can't believe Keshi is gone cry

4 Likes

Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by adebrave1(m): 1:25pm On Jun 09, 2016
Rest in Peace. Big Boss

NFF now claiming Saints, when they were wailing the Man dem don forget??

1 Like

Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by saraskuls(f): 1:25pm On Jun 09, 2016
Rest on keshi

2 Likes

Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by Adekorya: 1:26pm On Jun 09, 2016
Nelbless:
Why do the dead have so many friends and loved once and never a single enemy.....especially in this part og the world....

It's human nature and it's everywhere.

Death gives attention and awareness than any other thing on earth.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jun 09, 2016
Sleep Well Keshi
Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by adebrave1(m): 1:26pm On Jun 09, 2016
Rest in Peace. Big Boss
I don't even expect NFF to talk. Shameless people.
Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by robosky02(m): 1:27pm On Jun 09, 2016
the big boss... rip

1 Like

Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by Adekorya: 1:28pm On Jun 09, 2016
adebrave1:
Rest in Peace. Big Boss

I don't even expect NFF to talk. Shameless people.
Wetin NFF do, Nad dem kill him?
Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by KingPharaoh(m): 1:32pm On Jun 09, 2016
grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by AlexCk: 1:33pm On Jun 09, 2016
He brought joy to the nations he coached, and achieved things with those nations. Most especially, naija,

I feel Keshi should be immortalized in one of our stadiums.

What do y'all think? ?

My opinion tho

4 Likes

Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jun 09, 2016
RalphTheToner:
Everytime i see keshi's name,i feel like crying.Within 9 months his children are orphans,i cant say i understand their pains,but to every orphan out there,just know there is a FATHER who watches over you and cares for you.RIP KESHI.
They shld be happy their parents left them a legacy, I don't think Keshi's children will ever be hungry as orphans, unlike some orphans parents left without a penny.

1 Like

Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by Nobody: 1:35pm On Jun 09, 2016
NwaNimo1:
Hopefully Buhari will eventually follow suit...
But why?!! undecided
Are you okay?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by ripbubu: 1:37pm On Jun 09, 2016
NwaNimo1:
Hopefully Buhari will eventually follow suit...
grin grin grin isha Allah

1 Like

Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jun 09, 2016
jeni.....
jenigurl:

But why?!! undecided
Are you okay?
Re: FIFA President Mourns Stephen Keshi by robosky02(m): 1:39pm On Jun 09, 2016

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gernot Rohr Reveals One Key Reason Why Mikel Will Leave Chelsea By January / Transfer: South African Club, Chippa United Demand €2 Million For Nwabali / Paralympics: Flora Ugwunwa Wins Gold Medal For Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.