Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,630 members, 7,816,593 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:40 PM

6 Ways We (accidentally) Teach Our Kids Rape Culture - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 6 Ways We (accidentally) Teach Our Kids Rape Culture (570 Views)

Man Accidentally Falls Into Well In Lagos (photos) / Photo: Cartoon Network Showing Adult Content To Our Kids / 5 Unknown Ways We Offend People Around Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

6 Ways We (accidentally) Teach Our Kids Rape Culture by haconjy(m): 3:08pm On Jun 10, 2016
6 WAYS WE (ACCIDENTALLY) TEACH OUR KIDS RAPE CULTURE

No parent (that I’ve ever met) would ever dream of teaching their child that rape is okay. But every day, in many different ways, well-meaning parents contribute to rape culture, and our kids suffer for it.

As moms and dads, we probably don’t talk directly about rape to kids, at least not until they’re older. But we’re still sending messages about sex and consent all the time. Because of that, we need to make sure we’re not teaching them some very dangerous lessons, even if just by accident.

Here are six (very common) ways we get it wrong, and how we can do better …

1. Telling our kids that “boys will be boys.”

As a mom of very active boys, I know most people don’t mean any harm when they say “boys will be boys,” but too often that phrase is used to excuse bad behavior, like hitting other kids or being destructive.

The truth is, boys are perfectly capable of respecting other people’s bodies,possessions, and space. But every time they hear us excuse their bad behavior as part of boy life, they learn that they are not only above the rules, but also that boys cannot control their impulses.

Read More
Re: 6 Ways We (accidentally) Teach Our Kids Rape Culture by vicstar(m): 3:10pm On Jun 10, 2016
hmmm undecided

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Vote? / You Should Not Be Caught In These If You Are Job Hunting / The Sad Death Of A Colleague Of Mine A Merchandiser In SHOPRITE MALL KANO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.