Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,411 members, 7,853,810 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 03:25 AM

KEEPING LAWS : Volume One - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / KEEPING LAWS : Volume One (397 Views)

My Pastor Said I Should Stop Keeping Beards / Reasons Why God Is Not Subject To His Own Laws ! / Has Any Atheist Seen The Laws Of Logic? Do They Exist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

KEEPING LAWS : Volume One by Salasked(m): 12:50pm On Jun 12, 2016
KEEPING LAWS: volume one

I have taken my time over time to study Christians and their beliefs on salvation, sin, and forgiveness. I realized they strongly believe in the principle of remission of sin and this has been preached even to the Muslims.
All Christians believe that sinners will be forgiven once they accept Jesus as their personal Lord and saviour. Some agreed base on the principle of remission of sin which is based on the believe that Jesus died on the cross  so they could be forgiven. Consider this verse...

"Romans  10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; 
10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation".

I think the most rational and logical way of seeking Kingdom of Heaven is to believe in the principle of seeking for forgiveness after repentance,  believing in God,  and keeping commandments.

Meanwhile, there are so many verses of the Bible that states the conditions of salvation which is between setting laws and keeping them.

WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT SINNERS.

"1 Corinthians  6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 
6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God".

"1 Corinthians  5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat".

I think base on the verdict of the Bible, there is no point in believing that Jesus died for their sins. The condition of the salvation is to try your best to be righteous otherwise, you will not be saved.
There is no point in proclaiming that Jesus died for your sin when you know that you still have to run away from sinning. The above verses says there is no kingdom of God for listed group of sinners so, there is no point in believing in the death of Jesus as a remission for sins.

However , I expect all Christians to follow all the laws which includes moving away from all the above sins. Jesus himself never gave the condition of salvation to be believing in his death or confession of his death and resurrection but he did gave the condition to be keeping of all the commandments.
Unfortunately, Paul contradicted Jesus by encouraging Christians to forget the laws....
Paul says:  " Galatians  3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 
" 3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster."

Paul even went to the extent of declaring the previous law obsolete so as to create his own.
Paul says: " Hebrews  8:13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away."

Now, Christians can not eat their cake and still have it. If you follow Paul then continue sinning because your sins are forgiven already. Similarly, Paul contradicted himself by rejecting the old laws in Galatians at the same time holding Christians responsible for violating the laws in 1 Corinthians 6:9 quoted above.

There are other portion of Bible which proofed that laws and commandments are the basis for gaining eternal life. Consider these verses....

1 John  3:24   And he that keep his commandments dwell in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Revelation  22:14   Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

All the above statements are not credited to Jesus yet they proof that salvation lies in keeping commandments.

WHAT DID JESUS SAY ABOUT THE CONDITION OF SALVATION

All Christians should know that the condition of salvation has always being following of commandments which is why Jesus himself reiterated it in the Gospel of Mathew.....

"Matthew  5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 

5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled".

"5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven".

" 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven."

The above verses show that there is no distinction between the law of Moses and Jesus .
Jesus said all laws must be fulfilled otherwise you shall be called the least in the kingdom of God. He clearly emphasized on righteousness as the only condition for gaining Kingdom of God.
Jesus did not make any exemption to the laws, he said even the smallest of the laws shall not pass, without being fulfilled.

Moreover, Jesus further emphasized the keeping of commandments when he was asked directly what to do in order to have eternal life. Consider these verses....

"Matthew  19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? 
19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, 
19:19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself".

On the other hand, Jesus himself asked Christians to keep his commandments so as to be loved by God.

"John  14:21   He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him".

In the same way, Jesus went further and emphasized on the first and most important commandment of God in the book of.....

Mark  12:28 And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all? 

"12:29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord".
Based on the above verse, Jesus clarified the oneness of God and commanded his followers to believe in it yet Christians claimed God is three in one. They should know that, if any body break one of the least of the commandments he, shall be called the least in the kingdom of God.

It's quite amazing that so many laws are in the Bible which were made to guild Christians on how to live their lives.
These laws are rejected by modern Christians and the rejection is premised on the discrimination between the Old testament and the new testament. They also premised their arguments on the above quoted chapter earlier in the book of  "Galatians  3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

" 3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster."

" Hebrews  8:13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away."

The above statement is credited to Paul and not Jesus himself and we could see the clear contradiction between Jesus' statement and Paul's. As quoted above earlier, in the book of Matthew 5:17-20 and  Matthew  19: 16-19. Jesus emphatically gave the condition of salvation to be keeping of commandments which is not in any way different from what Paul himself said in the book of
1 Corinthians 6:9 and
1 Corinthians 5:11.
The contradiction between Paul and Jesus shouldn't be a surprise because Paul contradicted himself on the condition of salvation.

Therefore , I want the readers to know that there are relationship between laws or commandments and forgiveness or repentance. In other words, there is no question of seeking for forgiveness or even repenting from your old ways if there are no laws.
Laws are made to be followed while violators are expected to seek for forgiveness. Logically, if Christians claimed they are no more under the laws,  then, why would they preach repentance and forgiveness and why would they ask people to born again?.
We should know that these are hypocritical tendencies of Christians to manipulate Muslims into believing that Islam is a difficult and complex religion. I strongly believe that if Christians could follow the teachings of Jesus and that of Bible as a whole, they would realize that their religion is more complex and difficult to practice as compared with Islam.

Consequently, the questions to ask here are :
1. Why would Christians Rejects laws of their creator?
2. Why would they disobey Jesus' commandments?
3. Why would they decides to follow Paul instead of Jesus himself?
4. Why would they be selective in the application of the laws and commandments?

The only reasonable answer to the above questions is that, Christians are not fundamentalist. This brings us to putting the difference between Christians and Muslims in perspective. Muslims are fundamentalist because we follow everything we see in our scripture while Christians select those part of their scripture that favours them.
One will be surprised that all Pastors in the world uses old testament as a point of references in their sermons even more than they do with the new testament, without discriminating the two. But, these same Pastors will swift into discrimination between the old and the new testament once you mention any part of the old testament that is not in congruence with their desire. Old testament prescribed laws and also punishment for the violators so that peace will reign in the whole universe as well as morals.

ANALYSIS OF SELECTED LAWS IN THE BIBLE

Both old and new testament is enriched with beautiful laws and commandments which if applied consistently would have sanitized our society. Christians are selective in the application of laws and commandments because they think the laws are outdated already and as such, it can't fit into our modern life.
We understand the fact that laws and constitution of any Country can be changed or amended as the case may be. Should the laws of our creator be changed or rejected?. I guess that will be tantamount to rejecting God himself.
Nobody has any right to change, modernize, or reject the laws of our creator. The proof for this is in the Bible where God says.....

"Deuteronomy  12:32 What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it".

From the above verse, one would  know that human race  doesn't have right to alter any part of the law neither do we have right to be selective in applying them into our ways of life. If we actually believe that God Almighty is the Alpha and omega as well as omniscience and omnipotent then, we should know that he has absolute power to design our ways of life for us.

Therefore , there are numerous laws and commandments of Almighty God which are to be applied accordingly as circumstances dictate. For instance, there are laws and commandments on :
1. Believing in Oneness of God
2. Killings
3. Adultery and fornication
4. Stealing
5. Spiritual bath
6. Dressing code for women
7. War

Let's analyze the laws and commandments and examine the significance of the laws in our life.

1. LAWS ON BELIEVING IN ONENESS OF GOD :

God emphasized this commandment in the Bible through Jesus, Moses, and other prophets in the Bible. It is very pertinent that all human being believes in the Oneness and supremacy of God and must worship him alone. There are many verses of the Bible which states the commandments of God to the people to believe in him and worship him alone. There are verses as well, which shows that people in the Bible followed those laws.
God said in the book of :

"Isaiah  43:11 I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.

Isaiah  45:5 I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me.

45:6 That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else".

The above verses show that God himself acknowledge his Oneness and supremacy over all being. According to the verses above, no one  has right to even call Jesus a saviour because God said beside him there is no other saviour.
Furthermore, Moses and Jesus gave the commandments of God as follows:

"Deuteronomy  6:4   Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:

6:5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. 

6:6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:

6:7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up".

The above verses emphasized believing in Oneness of God in the old testament and Jesus himself repeated the same message of God to his people.
Jesus said in the book of :

"Mark  12:29   And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord":

Hence, there are evidences from the Bible that people believed and applied this law in their lives. See the verses below"

"James  2:19   Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble".

"1 Timothy  2:5   For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus";

"Ephesians  4:6   One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all".

"Galatians  3:20   Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one".

"1 Corinthians  8:6   But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ".

"1 Corinthians  8:4   As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one".

"Romans  3:30   Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith".

"Mark  12:32   And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he":

All the verses above show that there were laws and commandments on believing in only one God. This commandment was followed by the people both in the old and new testament. There are more than 15 different verses that show us that God is one as commanded but, modern Christians will tell you that God is three in one.
This principle of trinity is totally not in conformity with the commandments of our creator. The modern Christians based their arguments on a single verse of the Bible which is an interpolation or error in the Bible. All the Prophets in the Bible believed in One true God including Jesus so why would the issue of trinity come up?. Christians should know that if more than fifteen verses could be found in the Bible supporting Oneness of God then, a single verse is not enough to nullify all the fifteen.
Christians should know that whoever blasphem against God will not gain eternal life but would be condemned to hell fire. The believe that God is three in one is an act of blasphemy against God. Jesus warned against this in the below verses :

"Matthew  12:31   Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
Matthew  12:32   And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come".

"Mark  3:29   But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation":

"Luke  12:10   And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven".

Meanwhile, it's not surprising that we could see a verse that contradict other verses, the Bible is a book of contradiction. The contraindications could be between old testament and new testament or within new testament itself. There are hundreds of contradictions and errors in the Bible but that is not to be discussed in this book, it's another topic on its own.

(1) (Reply)

Hijab: Osun CAN Files Appeal, Stay Of Execution / Is it right for an organist to get paid for his service in the house of God? / And They Crucified Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.