Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,239 members, 7,836,146 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:29 PM

Atheists Let's Discuss - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists Let's Discuss (899 Views)

Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. / Atheists, Let's Be Honest- The People Who Formed Religions Were The Smartest / MEME ZONE: Atheists Let's Unwind (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheists Let's Discuss by skydancer: 11:29pm On Aug 28, 2009
One of my friend was actually an atheist and after a deep talk with him, I realised that the issue is not shouting or making points without bearing your reciever in mind. An atheist maybe someone who has undergone frustration from prayers, or someone who cannot believe what he does not understand.

Let's talk sensibly this time around. Basing on logic. It's obvious that there are some questions you cannot answer with the human mind. Questions beyond our own reasoning. There is also an answer to every question you can throw to challenge the existence of God. Apart from the Bible, almost all religions acknowledge the existence of God though some in different ways. But recently, I came across what a scientists said, I think Benjamin Franklin, He said: There are some things that we cannot prove in our own reasoning,

There are questions that lead to God such as the ontological theory and the design theory that suggest that every question will get to an answer only traceable to a powerful being that created us. So many people claim they have actually seen God or angels and we quite know a lot of things have happened to many people both publicly and privately. Even occultists will tell you that Satan is fighting against the devil. This can however all be acrredited as mysticisms, but as Franklin said: What good does it do to you if in the end you find out that it's all true a short lived enjoyment of sin in reward for eternal damnation. Will it not be better we accept Christ, many who have done so have gained faith in Him and stands strongly in him. Even the popular Father Mbaka in Nigeria who has performed a lot of miracles was previously an occultist. It is easy to believe that God truly created us in His image though we maybe just a millionth of His power but if you think in this way.

God wants us all to undergo a test(for His own reasons) He give us freewill for us to love him. It is our will to choose to love or to hate Him.

The devil cannot force himself to anyone, neither does God except in special cases like the historical conversion of Paul. Even if the Bible is all history and not the word of God, not all history is false and our beliefs today whether in tradition or anything is based on history.

So therefore why not try Him first. Accept God in faith and see if anything in your life is going to change. It has done for so many people just like you and there is no reason why anyone should be an exception. If nothing happens even in your faith. I will say firmly that you can quit and call the whole thing thrash, for what good is it for God to tell us to believe in him when there is nothing to show for it knowing our human nature.

We are all equal. Let's recognise each other's importance and respect our egos. Thank you
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss by bawomolo(m): 11:46pm On Aug 28, 2009
God wants us all to undergo a test(for His own reasons) He give us freewill for us to love him. It is our will to choose to love or to hate Him.

which God?

that's a good place to start from
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss by skydancer: 12:37am On Aug 29, 2009
@bawomolo: The message is clear no need to start an argument. I clearly wrote that on the assumption that God exists and it doesn't matter whether you believ or not. Just get the main point. If you have an opinion voice it out. Thanks
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss by bawomolo(m): 5:10am On Aug 29, 2009
skydancer:

@bawomolo: The message is clear no need to start an argument. I clearly wrote that on the assumption that God exists and it doesn't matter whether you believ or not. Just get the main point. If you have an opinion voice it out. Thanks

I'm not arguing with you.

i asked you a simple question.

Which God are you talking about and how do you know it gave us free will.

what makes a God? sango?
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss by skydancer: 12:44pm On Aug 29, 2009
If you learnt science, you will have known that we start first with assumption, believing that a particular things is the cause of something. It is the same with God. I am talking of a supreme being who created the Universe. As I said can you explain how one is raised to death in the name of God or how a lame starts to walk by simple prayers. It cannot be explained scientifically and there are so many miracles out there. If you had had forefathers(for eg. in the igbo tradition) My grandfather is a pagan and He also knows and acknowledges a supreme being of Justice, who is powerful and above all other deities. In paganism, they hardly say prayers or worship this suprememe being directly but they believe the deities they do so can communicate with the supreme God. I don't know whether you are a Nigerian, but all the traditional religions I know in Nigeria recognise a supreme God, called Ezechitoke(In igbo, meaning the King who creates).
Everything I said here is just a hypothetical theory and if you read carefully what I meant was for one to put it to test and find out if it's true. Period
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss by mazaje(m): 1:24pm On Aug 29, 2009
skydancer:

If you learnt science, you will have known that we start first with assumption, believing that a particular things is the cause of something. It is the same with God. I am talking of a supreme being who created the Universe. As I said can you explain how one is raised to death in the name of God or how a lame starts to walk by simple prayers.

Do you really have any evidence for this? I will like you to give me just one example of a person that was confirmed dead for 2 or 3 days and was later been raised from the dead through prayers?
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss by bawomolo(m): 6:56pm On Aug 29, 2009
skydancer:

If you learnt science, you will have known that we start first with assumption, believing that a particular things is the cause of something. It is the same with God. I am talking of a supreme being who created the Universe. As I said can you explain how one is raised to death in the name of God or how a lame starts to walk by simple prayers. It cannot be explained scientifically and there are so many miracles out there. If you had had forefathers(for eg. in the igbo tradition) My grandfather is a pagan and He also knows and acknowledges a supreme being of Justice, who is powerful and above all other deities. In paganism, they hardly say prayers or worship this suprememe being directly but they believe the deities they do so can communicate with the supreme God. I don't know whether you are a Nigerian, but all the traditional religions I know in Nigeria recognise a supreme God, called Ezechitoke(In igbo, meaning the King who creates).
Everything I said here is just a hypothetical theory and if you read carefully what I meant was for one to put it to test and find out if it's true. Period

The thing is that you aren't assuming God exist, you believe God exists and this God gave us freewill and the word of God is the Bible.

You can't make these quantum leaps based on just an assumption.

How can you put it to test if you yourself said this mumbo jumbo can't be tested scientifically?
Re: Atheists Let's Discuss by skydancer: 2:06pm On Aug 30, 2009
@bawomolo: Must you go in the direction that your fellow man has made for you? are you saying you cannot do a test that is not scientific. It just shows absolute rejection, nothing else. You don't want to give it a chance.

@mazaje: if you are saying that the lame hasn't walked in the name of God, then you just don't want to believe. Egyptians too have something like that in their dark magic. Imhotep at least did some stuff like that

(1) (Reply)

Have U Heard About Mechizedek?is He The Christ Of Old Testament? / Would Rather Stay At Home To Worship The Lord Than Going To Our Modern Churches? / This World Will End On May 21,2011?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.