Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:51 AM

Isi Agu As A Uniform - Your Opinion Needed - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Isi Agu As A Uniform - Your Opinion Needed (1644 Views)

Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity / Lady Makes Shorts With "Isi Agu": "This Is A Total Disrespect To Our Culture" / I Don’t Understand Why People Still Eat Isi Ewu - Oluwo Oba Akanbi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Isi Agu As A Uniform - Your Opinion Needed by mayblossom(f): 9:07pm On Jun 13, 2016
So a friend told me how their group, an Igbo association abroad wants to get a uniform and decided on the popular isi agu. This group has both male and female members and because the isi agu fabric is not commonly used by women, the decision is sort of controversial, especially among the women.

I decided to post this here to know how other Igbo people feel about it. The style for the women has not been decided because of this controversy. It could be tied as double wrapper or used to make long skirt, but whatever the style, the top will be a different material (lace)

Pls let's know your honest opinion. Thank you.
Re: Isi Agu As A Uniform - Your Opinion Needed by ChinenyeN(m): 9:43pm On Jun 13, 2016
It is simply a matter of convention that Isiagu is not commonly worn by women (it doesn't mean you won't see it happen). There is nothing "cultural" about it other than that. If the women decide to have an Isiagu-styled attire (like a wrapper and head tie), then I don't see the problem. Even if they don't stylize it, and they keep Isiagu as is and wear it, I don't see the problem.

1 Like

Re: Isi Agu As A Uniform - Your Opinion Needed by makazona(m): 9:45pm On Jun 13, 2016
You see eh, it's wrong for umu nwanyi Igbo to even conceive that. How can ishi agu of all things be worn by women?

I respect our women but mbanu...
They should go for other wrapper minus Ishi agu ndi nna.
Re: Isi Agu As A Uniform - Your Opinion Needed by mayblossom(f): 2:36pm On Jun 14, 2016
makazona:
You see eh, it's wrong for umu nwanyi Igbo to even conceive that. How can ishi agu of all things be worn by women?

I respect our women but mbanu...
They should go for other wrapper minus Ishi agu ndi nna.

You got some part of the info wrong. The women did not do the "concieving". The group in question is male dominated (but also has female members) hence the decision to use isi agu as uniform(men and women alike).
Re: Isi Agu As A Uniform - Your Opinion Needed by mayblossom(f): 2:37pm On Jun 14, 2016
ChinenyeN:
It is simply a matter of convention that Isiagu is not commonly worn by women (it doesn't mean you won't see it happen). There is nothing "cultural" about it other than that. If the women decide to have an Isiagu-styled attire (like a wrapper and head tie), then I don't see the problem. Even if they don't stylize it, and they keep Isiagu as is and wear it, I don't see the problem.

Thank you for your input. I just learned something new too.

1 Like

Re: Isi Agu As A Uniform - Your Opinion Needed by makazona(m): 7:41pm On Jun 14, 2016
mayblossom:

You got some part of the info wrong. The women did not do the "concieving". The group in question is male dominated (but also has female members) hence the decision to use isi agu as uniform(men and women alike).

Well, it is safe to say that the Igbo culture has been seriously diluted in the men bcz of the environment...

(1) (Reply)

Is It Wrong To Give Out Something With The Left Hand? / 5 Things You Don't Know About The IJEBU Man / Emir Of Ilorin Celebrate 20 Years On The Throne

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.