Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,152 members, 7,815,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:15 AM

Nigeria Bank Is Folding Up. Crisis Ahead The Nigeria Economy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Bank Is Folding Up. Crisis Ahead The Nigeria Economy (2432 Views)

More Hard & Deadly Times Ahead : The Cattle Colonies* / Nigeria's Economy Was Better Under My Administration - Jonathan Replies Sagay / Nigeria's Economy Is Finally Out Of Recession - World Economics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Bank Is Folding Up. Crisis Ahead The Nigeria Economy by Joel3(m): 10:17pm On Jun 13, 2016
there are reports of low and decline in bank deposit for all banks. and federal government deposits goes straight to CBN. banks are running out of cash. as withdrawals are made daily with low deposit turn out. business men are now moving their monies away from Nigeria banks and converting them to dollars as fear and projections of worsen devaluation can been seen ahead.

hence banks now want to introduce cashless transaction where digits (monies) are moved from one account to another without human capital or banks running out of physical cash.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Bank Is Folding Up. Crisis Ahead The Nigeria Economy by Nairasurplus(m): 10:34pm On Jun 13, 2016
Ok
Re: Nigeria Bank Is Folding Up. Crisis Ahead The Nigeria Economy by ziccoit: 10:40pm On Jun 13, 2016
Nigeria banks keep government money and lend the same money to the government and individuals at high interest rate. A tale of using my money to entertain me. Now that TSA is in full operation, the banks started crying. They have adapted to being spoon fed. They lack innovations. That's why the don't respect us with low saving. They feed fat from the rots. Let them fold up, may be that will pave way for serious ones to finally emerge.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Bank Is Folding Up. Crisis Ahead The Nigeria Economy by yarimo(m): 10:47pm On Jun 13, 2016
Speechless
Re: Nigeria Bank Is Folding Up. Crisis Ahead The Nigeria Economy by Acidosis(m): 11:06pm On Jun 13, 2016
Now I'm scared.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Bank Is Folding Up. Crisis Ahead The Nigeria Economy by BlackTechnology: 11:11pm On Jun 13, 2016
ziccoit:
Nigeria banks keep government money and lend the same money to the government and individuals at high interest rate. A tale of using my money to entertain me. Now that TSA is in full operation, the banks started crying. They have adapted to being spoon fed. They lack innovations. That's why the don't respect us with low saving. They feed fat from the rots. Let them fold up, may be that will pave way for serious ones to finally emerge.

Illiteracy in full regalia. TSA is a good idea at a wrong time. By denying banks those cash, interest rates increased leading to an economic slowdown especially now that FG cut down salary allowances which is a major factor in boosting spending which in turn boost profit and encourages investment

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Bank Is Folding Up. Crisis Ahead The Nigeria Economy by admindim: 11:14pm On Jun 13, 2016
it is well with my country

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Bank Is Folding Up. Crisis Ahead The Nigeria Economy by wasiudvd(m): 11:22pm On Jun 13, 2016
na today them begin dey fold up?
Re: Nigeria Bank Is Folding Up. Crisis Ahead The Nigeria Economy by ziccoit: 7:09am On Jun 14, 2016
BlackTechnology:

Illiteracy in full regalia. TSA is a good idea at a wrong time. By denying banks those cash, interest rates increased leading to an economic slowdown especially now that FG cut down salary allowances which is a major factor in boosting spending which in turn boost profit and encourages investment

Mr literacy personified. TSA is in CBN custody. Tell your banks to ask CBN for liquidity. TSA will be given to them at interest so that they can continue carrying on with banking business. Here, nobody would be shortchanged. Tell me anywhere in the world where government liquidified the banks. Are those banks government owned? They are bunch of docile companies without innovation. That's why you don't get credit card from Nigeria bank except on special arrangement. Politicians, corrupt civil servants and banks are killing this economy. Enough of spoon feeding. Time to bring innovation or risk being pushed out of business.
Re: Nigeria Bank Is Folding Up. Crisis Ahead The Nigeria Economy by Nobody: 7:56am On Jun 14, 2016
ziccoit:

Thats it bro, they lack innovations, they re very lazy and greedy.

theres no banking in Nigeria at all.
Re: Nigeria Bank Is Folding Up. Crisis Ahead The Nigeria Economy by 989900D: 8:31am On Jun 14, 2016
No one is moving money anywhere, and I don't get why anyone will blame implementation of the TSA for the bank's incompetence.

The below shows signs of an ailing mono economy; little to do with the TSA implementation . . . the TSA is not some 'B/stop', rather, a 'rendezvous junction', the monies still filters back to the system albeit via proper accountability.

The banks have been living off Gov't monies, stolen monies, and shady oil dealings -- let them go back to doing 'banking'.

The below is an X-ray of what's up. I hope it is self-explanatory.

Meanwhile, the CBN has stated that the sustained low crude oil price and supply constraints at the foreign exchange market as well as other macroeconomic conditions impacted negatively on the quality of bank loans, raising their non-performing loans (NPLs) ratio to 10.1 percent in April 2016.
The current ratio is well above the prudential limit of five percent and further raises concerns over banks’ asset quality.
According to the apex bank, the implementation of the Treasury Single Account (TSA) caused a decline of N1.02 trillion in banks’ total deposits, which dropped to N17.51 trillion in April 2016 compared to N18.54 trillion in April 2015.
Also, industry total assets decreased by 0.6 percent or N158 billion to N27.43 trillion in April 2016 from N27.58 trillion in the corresponding period of 2015.

According to the CBN, industry Gross credit fell 0.3 percent to N13.36 trillion in the period under review compared to N13.40 trillion the previous year.
According to figures provided by CBN Deputy Governor, Economic Policy, Sarah Alade, industry Cash Adequacy Ratio (CAR) further deteriorated to 16.5 percent in April 2016 from 17 percent in 2016 following decline in the total qualifying capital-occasioned by regulatory deductions, retirement of Tier II capital, impairment as well as increase in the total task weighted assets.
In her presentation to the Bankers’ Committee on the state of the economy and update on the regular Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) meeting, a copy which was obtained by THISDAY, banks’ unaudited profit before tax for the period ended April 2016 decreased by 10.8 percent or N24 billion to N198 billion from N222 billion in 2015.
She said bank’s return on equity (ROE) and return on assets (ROA) both fell to 2.17 percent and 16.17 percent in 2016 from 2.42 percent and 19.39 percent respectively.
“The decline was driven largely by a decrease in both interest and non-interest income, which declined by 6 percent or N50 billion and 5.4 percent or N259 billion respectively,” she stated.
It further emerged that industry liquidity ratio (LR) stood at 46.3 percent in 2016 compared to 39.78 percent in 2015-and showed that banks operated far above the minimum requirement of 30 percent.

The banks are just greedy. It is nothing near doomsday for them. What are other industries posting 50%-70% decrease in profits to do? Or those that have had to shut up shop.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/06/13/challenged-cbn-releases-flexible-forex-guidelines-this-week/
Re: Nigeria Bank Is Folding Up. Crisis Ahead The Nigeria Economy by omowolewa: 1:25pm On Jun 14, 2016
Which bank is packing up?

(1) (Reply)

Biafra Avengers Emerges / Ondo Election: Picture Of Branded Cars For Jimoh Ibrahim Campaign / Group: 11 Killed At Nigeria Pro-trump Rally; Police Deny It - FOXNEWS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.